Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/20 11:39 a.m.

This is very cool on a whole bunch of levels. First, that huge DIY 3D printer, I'm going to have to take a look at that. But being able to hobby print at this scale really opens up a lot of possibilities. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
12/24/20 9:58 p.m.

Well that makes my little Ender 3 prints look like, well, little Ender 3 prints

Very cool, so cool how this piece of tech is impacting the automotive community

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/20 10:06 p.m.

I've been looking at the Ender V2 for a bit and recently discovered the kits to make it a larger printing area.  Acually doesn't look that hard to DIY something like this.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/20 10:22 p.m.

I suspect it's one of those situations where the concept is clear but there are a lot of fine details to get right. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/24/20 10:42 p.m.

The Spaniard went full Inception: he 3D printed a 3D printer.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/20 7:41 a.m.
Appleseed said:

The Spaniard went full Inception: he 3D printed a 3D printer.

Never watch Primer, where they take time machines back with them in time so they can time travel to a different point in the alternate universe they created via time travel.  It's one of those movies with fast dialogue full of technobabble, yet there is almost no useful exposition aside from the worldbuilding, and you end up reading peoples' blogs for fifteen hours trying to make sense of what the hell just happened.

Kind of like Mad Max: Fury Road, except replace the car chases and gunfights with technobabble and recursive time travel like the end of Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey.

Also, I recall a discussion on USENET ages ago about what the minimum complexity was for a machine tool to be able to create another identical unit, using only itself.  It devolved and I don't remember if there was any resolution.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/20 11:57 a.m.

I love the idea that you can 3d print something that then either becomes the mold or you can make a mold off of.

Very cool in general.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

You can get wax filament also for casting.  I've been down a deep rabbit hole lately.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
12/25/20 1:09 p.m.

Ah, yeah, having a CMM machine certainly makes it WAY easier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xpn76iftJOuGPz47d6g7PmGvf53gVsHRWhPMr9cTnMRwkRpvar6XRvjy7dNlF26Y