GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/16 11:56 p.m.

OK the engine is shot, but a clean title plus some aftermarket parts...must be someone here with the skills to get this on the road again. Not mine, just sharing the link.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5561200317.html

"My 2002 996 has a poor running engine that I'm not interested in replacing. I would like to sell it to any interested party for salvage. It has custom seats, upgraded exhaust and custom staggered wheel. Body is flawless...will consider any reasonable offer. I have title (pink). "

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/29/16 1:08 a.m.

Too far and too short of notice but yall don't want me having it anyway. I'd find a 2.5 or 2.7 boxster take-out from an engine swap and turbo it.

I'm thinking about going to look at a 'full price' 996 if it's still up after the next two busy days. I need to drive one and see how right i am to want one. Plus it's gold and i secretly love old-man colors.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/29/16 7:42 a.m.

That's damn near Challenge price.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
4/29/16 8:29 a.m.

Why does the Right Rear tail light lens looking broken???

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/29/16 8:57 a.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

Because it is

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/29/16 8:58 a.m.

EBS racing could rebuild the engine for 10 to 12k. You could bump up displacement for a few bucks more. I think the max is 4 ltrs.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
4/29/16 9:08 a.m.
markwemple wrote: In reply to WildScotsRacing: Because it is

And the "body is flawless" bit in the add?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/29/16 9:11 a.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: Why does the Right Rear tail light lens looking broken???

you ever been in a honey bake ham parking lot? That shizzle is rough.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/29/16 3:08 p.m.

I love how we're nitpicking taillight lenses on a $3000 Porsche 911.

Meanwhile, me looking at a gold 996..

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
4/29/16 3:24 p.m.

Two words... Renegade Hybrids

Perfect opportunity... if the ad's legit.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/29/16 3:33 p.m.

That's awesome. If it were anywhere near tn I'd be on my way.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/29/16 3:55 p.m.

I hate renegade hybrids, especially in a 911.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
4/29/16 4:06 p.m.
markwemple wrote: I hate renegade hybrids, especially in a 911.

Not that I don't love 911s (I do), but I'd love to have an LS swapped 996 just to take to PCA events and raise hate and discontent...

Purists already dislike 996s, so one with an LS3 ought to send them into apoplectic fits...

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/29/16 4:14 p.m.

Purists hate anything after the 356. It really depends upon the level of purist. I'm not a fan of the panamera or the cayenne but it's because they are hideous and total poseur cars. I dd a 996 and have owned Porsches for 31 years.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/29/16 4:16 p.m.

If I thought that ad was legit, it's about 20 minutes from me and I'd own it today. I've made plays on a couple other improbably inexpensive cars recently. In one case, I never got a callback. On the other, I got a message trying to sell me something and got added to a robocall list.

edit: And then there was the one that I almost drove two hours to look at where it turns out that the titleholder was a dead guy and his family had no idea that the "seller" was trying to get money for it: "It was my best friend, and I'm selling it for his family" "What do they think about that?" "Oh, I haven't told them yet. They'd just squabble and fight if they knew"

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/29/16 5:07 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB:

This is the classic 'hood 911. It made sense to the PO until E36 M3 got real with it.

Let's say the Renagade hybrid route costs $10k all in. That would mean a dead nuts reliable monster of a Porsche for $13k. I fail to see a problem with this.

If it were a long-hood 911, I'd say keep it as Porsche as possible. However, the 996 might not ever appreciate significantly, so it might be worth the same money with a well-sorted swap as it would be with a stock mill.

Turbo 2.7 sounds rad as hell, but also likely way more headaches than LS.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
4/29/16 5:51 p.m.

If it sounds too good to be true...It probably is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
06AU9OBXvyJvFoDNxns7AaN3dPuB6FTJXpPf1dvJ6Gbq5zJs5oVye7Uk2GFiWcao