1 2 3 4
Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/6/10 9:09 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Not for me its not, I'd like my car near silent for those late nights so i don't wake up the parentals as I'm coming and going. Its also nice to be able to have a conversation with the radio on in my Jeep its one or the other, and the car is way too loud so a quieter one will be nice.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/6/10 9:11 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

If he wants to wrench on his own car, I don't see why a 164 would be a terrible idea. They aren't that expensive, and the leftover cash will keep it running for awhile. And a dirt-cheap Grand Prix that will do 0-60 in the 6s is fun. What other cheap, non-BMW/Benz/Audi/IS200 sedan is out there? Stratus? Civic?

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/6/10 9:31 p.m.

In reply to JeepinMatt:

Just checked the alfa out and dude I dont think I could rock that. I could rock a monster miata and a yellow station wagon, but that is ugly man (in my eyes) beauty is in the eye of the beholder and its definitely not in my eyes but hey thick chicks need love too right? And I have a prejudice against the grand am as my friends family own two and things just keep going wrong, seriously wrong, and I know they aren't hard on the cars so Im a but biased against them.

Can I add a poll to this post now or do I need a new one for that? Right now I think the focus and the max have the edge against the other cars although I have far from made up my mind and I might just go for the best deal.

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/6/10 9:44 p.m.

Sell the Jeep and get Mazda3 hatch.

5 doors, sporty, 2.3 Duratec, good looks and drives great.

If you have to or want to hang onto the Jeep, you'll have to stretch your budget a little - cheapest hatch I saw was @ $8k, or get a base sedan.

For a focus, zx5 is good, sedan look for a zx4 (no svt sedan version).

If you're willing to accept something a little older, follow Per's lead and get a MkIII (93-98) VW Golf - or a MkIII Jetta - VR6 sleeper...

And nobody's mentioned a civic yet - there's one out there for every budget.

-Thor

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/6/10 10:01 p.m.

In reply to abumason:

Im giving the Jeep to my sister Shes just turning 16 and I think she needs a bullet proof car as in the Jeep tahts cheap to fix, and that way if I ever need the more space BOOM i pull a favor and have more room. civics arent my style but definitely in the mix although i dont think they have the performance I want.

The mazda3 is out of my price range :(

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
1/7/10 1:01 a.m.

I would go with the IS300, if your parents have an objection to it being a luxury car point out thats its just a dressed up Toyota! It is not TOO hard to find one for around $7,500 and they are super reliable. I don't think you can get 25mpg though...

The 02-03 Maxmia is a great suggestion as well, they are pretty quick and are pretty nice cars as well! I also like the idea of the 4 door Integra GSR, I have always had a thing for 4 door Integras!

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/10 8:38 a.m.

I would look at a 99 - 02 Saab 9-3. Quick stock, can be made much better for little money, hatch, great gas mileage, safe and mine has only needed a fuel pump and an AC compressor in 190k. Just be sure to get one with service records and get it checked by someone. With all of the drama going on with Saab right now they are even cheaper.

This is the one to get:

2001 Saab VIGGEN! - $7500

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/7/10 10:14 a.m.

TLDR how often do i say that, im a forum whore..

Anyway didnt read the whole thing but if you want quick, leather, comfortable, decent mileage, and 7.5K may i recommend a 5 or 6 spd manual 3.5L nissan maxima? Very pleasant and comfortable, and will probably do 25mpg+ if driven nicely. And did i mention they are kinda fast? a LOT faster than an older stock gti or svt focus. low 14s out da box iirc.

I think they even have the double din!!!

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/7/10 5:34 p.m.

In reply to 81gtv6:

Tempting but I think the Nissan attracts less attention though and I am really started to lean more and more towards it especially because of the leather and general bulletproofness.

As a side note after a quick and very unthorough search I could only find a convertible which I dont generally care for.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/7/10 7:54 p.m.
Xarles wrote: In reply to pres589: I thought about the 2001 maxima not great mileage but it has a v6 which is nice (but only 190hp?) and leather. Heres a possiblity on that line: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=272823280&dealer_id=57213621&car_year=2001&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sort_type=priceASC&systime=&default_sort=priceASC&drive=&style_flag=2&body_code=0&sownerid=53185450&seller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=MAX&keywords_display=&advanced=y&distance=200&doors=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&rdm=1262725086066&marketZipError=false&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&transmission=Manual&max_price=7000&max_mileage=&end_year=2011&make=NISSAN&start_year=1981&certified=&num_records=25&make2=&address=33569&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&cardist=17&standard=false

If it is a 2001, it has 222hp, not 190. 190hp were the VQ30DE cars from 97-99 (4th generation). THe 01-02 has the VQ30DE-K, which has a variable intake (VIAS) good for the extra 32 peak horsepower. ALot of 4th gen guys do a VIAS swap into their cars...

Listing is deleted though, so I can't look at it further.

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/7/10 10:57 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Very true, I got myself confused thanks for pointing that out, I'm trying to find a 2002 or so with the 3.5L because it doesn't make my insurance cheaper as anything I get is a "high" performance vehicle. If anyone sees one let me know please.

FallenAngelHIM
FallenAngelHIM New Reader
1/7/10 11:28 p.m.

I own a 2005 Dodge SRT-4. I've owned it new about a year or so ago with 33,xxx miles and now I'm creeping 50,xxx miles. I've done 2 HPDEs at Homestead Miami Speedways and it's also my daily driver.

This is definitely a fun car to have. The transmission issue is the same issue that any performance car can have. It is NOT made of glass but does have a weak spot. The TOB Fork is made from a softer metal than most and tends t go bad at the same time as the clutch. However, I've raced my car and DD and my clutch and TOB are fine. My upshifts and downshifts are smooth. I've replaced the transmission fluid once since I bought it with Mopar ATF+4 and Friction Modifier for the LSD (factory recommended).

The car idles smooth, it has minor bolts on's, and suspension mods. Recently got a PCM Reflash (Diablosport Predator) and it runs peppier than before.

This car does have a LOT of torque and is running on a very light chassis. You will run into torque steer problems but nothing a few minor bushings and suspension mods cannot handle (not fix, but it will make it more manageable).

If you buy used, just double check the gear selector to make sure you can shift appropriately and smoothly, but generally should not have a problem.

Like I said, I've been through many miles with my SRT-4 and it runs like it was new. No major work needed, just maintenance. I've replaced the rotors, brake pads, brake lines, and tires. Regularly change my oil and spark plugs and the car is as good as new.

If you have any other questions about the SRT-4 check out www.srtforums.com.

Hope this helped.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/8/10 1:12 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Xarles wrote: In reply to pres589: I thought about the 2001 maxima not great mileage but it has a v6 which is nice (but only 190hp?) and leather. Heres a possiblity on that line: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=272823280&dealer_id=57213621&car_year=2001&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sort_type=priceASC&systime=&default_sort=priceASC&drive=&style_flag=2&body_code=0&sownerid=53185450&seller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=MAX&keywords_display=&advanced=y&distance=200&doors=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&rdm=1262725086066&marketZipError=false&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&transmission=Manual&max_price=7000&max_mileage=&end_year=2011&make=NISSAN&start_year=1981&certified=&num_records=25&make2=&address=33569&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&cardist=17&standard=false
If it is a 2001, it has 222hp, not 190. 190hp were the VQ30DE cars from 97-99 (4th generation). THe 01-02 has the VQ30DE-K, which has a variable intake (VIAS) good for the extra 32 peak horsepower. ALot of 4th gen guys do a VIAS swap into their cars... Listing is deleted though, so I can't look at it further.

FWIW... I had a 98 Maxima with the 190 hp, and let me say it felt FAST. Of course, this was coming out of a 130hp four banger.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/8/10 9:29 a.m.

4 doors, economical, well built, reliable, manual option, and as a bonus RWD, dude, buy a Beemer.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
1/8/10 11:05 a.m.
abumason wrote: Sell the Jeep and get Mazda3 hatch. 5 doors, sporty, 2.3 Duratec, good looks and drives great. If you have to or want to hang onto the Jeep, you'll have to stretch your budget a little - cheapest hatch I saw was @ $8k, or get a base sedan.

+1

I was in similar shoes a couple months ago. I got a '04 3 hatchback with 130k for just over $5k. HID's, airbags, cruise control, quiet, comfortable, sporty. The gas mileage isn't as high as I had hoped, but about 30 mpg average with most of my driving being on the highway.

I shopped focii, but the 5-doors were very rare around here and I needed the back doors. The Mazda 3 is nearly as quick as the SVT focus and looks better in my opinion. I would have gladly picked up a 5-door SVT, but they seem to be like unicorns.

Matrix might be a good choice. It seems to get slightly better mileage than the 3 and should have Toyota dependability (whatever that means).

If you go the sedan route I'd suggest getting a mazda 3i with the 2.0 5 speed. Many people are getting high 30's and low 40's mpg out of these cars and they're pretty refined for econoboxes.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
1/9/10 12:58 a.m.

volvo turbo, 940, 740. nuff said.

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/9/10 9:25 p.m.

In reply to FallenAngelHIM:

Yes this helped alot, and I haven't said this yet but I am going to learn how to drive a stick with this car, and I mean DRIVE a stick not get around town. And if it has a soft spot then, as fun as it can be, I dont think its for me at this stage. It does sound like fun but I don't want tranny trouble if I can't get the hang of it quickly enough.

Aussie as much as I would love rwd especially in a beemer "luxury" cars are not an option at this point in my life.

twolittlebroncos the mazda3 is very tempting and I really cant make up my mind but I think I'd like more power then the 2.3 offers, although it can come with leather.

Plance1 NO NO and NO I wont drive a box, I dont require beauty but I do require a general nonugliness, and there is no way I could find one that I would consider being seen in.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/9/10 10:38 p.m.

At this point suck it up and find a basic focus. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

M030
M030 Reader
1/9/10 11:08 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: At this point suck it up and find a basic focus. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

+1

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/9/10 11:34 p.m.
M030 wrote:
neon4891 wrote: At this point suck it up and find a basic focus. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
+1

+2. Find Focus hatch of some flavor and add the SVT suspension kit to it and call it a day.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/10/10 9:40 a.m.
abumason wrote: If you're willing to accept something a little older, follow Per's lead and get a MkIII (93-98) VW Golf - or a MkIII Jetta - VR6 sleeper...

If you do, you HAVE to put an intake on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazesjuQEK4

It's almost worth buying a VR6 VW for this sound alone.

Xarles
Xarles New Reader
1/10/10 4:12 p.m.

I think at this point I've decided on the Maxima, I just need to find one with the manual transmission found one in socal but he isnt responding to me so far :( He was suppossed to go out of the country but I know America isnt the only place with computers, so maybe he sold.

Anyone want to sell me their 2000-3 maxima with manual transmission?

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/10/10 4:31 p.m.
mtn wrote:
irish44j wrote:
If it is a 2001, it has 222hp, not 190. 190hp were the VQ30DE cars from 97-99 (4th generation). THe 01-02 has the VQ30DE-K, which has a variable intake (VIAS) good for the extra 32 peak horsepower. ALot of 4th gen guys do a VIAS swap into their cars... Listing is deleted though, so I can't look at it further.
FWIW... I had a 98 Maxima with the 190 hp, and let me say it felt FAST. Of course, this was coming out of a 130hp four banger.

yep, the 4th gens (your 98) and the 5th gen 3.0 (00-01) feel about as fast as each other...the DE-K cars extra power is up top - they don't run out of pull toward the top of the range like the 4th gens did. But driving around town, they're equally quick...

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/10/10 4:33 p.m.
Xarles wrote: I think at this point I've decided on the Maxima, I just need to find one with the manual transmission found one in socal but he isnt responding to me so far :( He was suppossed to go out of the country but I know America isnt the only place with computers, so maybe he sold. Anyone want to sell me their 2000-3 maxima with manual transmission?

Go on Maxima.org to the classifieds section - there are several 5th gens for sale, alot closer to you than Cali. If you find one you like, hit me up there (irish44j) via PM and I'll look at it for you and let you know about the member's history, etc if I know him.

EDIT: I see you're already there and looking at the TE in Cali. That's a good deal, but I'd ask for more details about the "rear rotor" - Maximas are not known for needing new rear rotors at 100k miles unless he has a sticking/dragging caliper (which are not uncommon). My original rears lasted me over 150k miles of hard driving, autocrosses, track days, etc and still had plenty of runout.

Also, being in Florida you certainly don't need the Meridian package (heated seats, steering wheel, and mirrors)

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/10/10 4:42 p.m.

this one is more expensive, but a very nice deal. It has some mods on it, but they are all good choices and the cattman headers are excellent - serious power gains there. Plus the engine only has 20k miles on it!!

I also see a cattman exhaust on it, which is full stainless and pretty much everyone's favorite in terms of sound (some rumble, but not too loud) and quality...not cheap!

The car was also "Maxima of the Month" for the forums at one point, which is only given to people who really, really take care of their cars and mod tastefully (I know, I used to help in picking them).

http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sale-wanted/604643-2003-6-speed-maxima-titanium-edition-nyc-10k.html

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wsZnSzUTdXhCKvSxsyXWP2BtqqowXucijL1Fx6ok7khNOkFlKG56dzXN7WDsgKvB