1 2 3
oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
1/20/17 5:46 p.m.

For $400 I don't think you can go too wrong. Good luck. Join PCA. Rennlist is also a good resource. The rear hatch is worth that or more. Interior didn't look too bad. BTW, the "ferrari" in the vid screams conversion with the plastic hood scoop and T-tops

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:03 a.m.
Danny Shields wrote: Congratulations on the 944! And if you are not already a member of PCA, go to pca.org and join now. They have a couple of sharp 944 tech reps that will cheerfully help you with any 944 issues. I sometimes ponder selling the 944S2 in my avatar, but I am afraid I would end up wanting another and I would never find one that I liked as much.

Signing up today for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:08 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: In reply to Trackmouse: $400 for a car sounds like great engine swap material to me!

Call me crazy but I'm just not a huge engine swap kind of guy. I just like the car as it is, as slow as it is, LOL. I probably do have the confidence yet to actually perform a job like that too. The engine is a lot of the characteristics of the car and I like the character of the 944. That's my opinion right now, but who knows that can change. LOL

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:10 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: You're enabling me and inspiring me again. I always had a dream of owning a Ferrari, but on $36k/year I would have to settle for the Matchbox version. Years ago I was trolling ebay. I like to select the boxes for exotic brands (Ferrari, Lotus, Lambo) and then list them by lowest price for kicks. I found a 67 275 GTB/4 for sale. It was just a rusty, wasted body. No rolling gear or drivetrain, and it was in terrible shape for $6000 but it had a title. I had dreams of fixing it up, dropping in a BMW straight six with a straight exhaust and cobble together some suspension just so I could drive a Ferrari around like it was no big deal.

Keep the search on my friend and start posting when you buy it to give the rest of us courage!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:12 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I don't know where you are but I have two complete 944 motors in storage. Both verified good runners be for being pulled. Both are complete with all accessories. I would not mind selling one.

I'm still diagnosing. Everything looks okay so far but I will definitely keep you in mind!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:12 a.m.
johnnie wrote: What's that Chryslerish thing at 3:46 in the video? Want to say it's a Plymouth Fury, but I don't know my Chryslers.

Sorry bro, I don't know my Chryslers either. LOL

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 8:19 a.m.

Hey Guys, Sorry for the the slow response, just recovering for a bad stomach thing. So I've identified some issues with the car and started repairing the fuel system. Here's an updated video of where I'm at with the project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_KTQA10IM

I've already started filming the timing belt change without removing the crank pulley, which should be my next video. check out the original alternator belt, I think this is from 1985!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/17 9:02 a.m.
jr10cross wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Yep. That was a plasti dip, vinyl job. The red is Vvivid XPO vinyl I bought off eBay for $150 the black is plasti dip. The car was orginally silver. I paid $850 for that one.

How is the Vvivid vinyl holding up? Or is that the one you sold?

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/26/17 10:46 a.m.
AWSX1686 wrote:
jr10cross wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Yep. That was a plasti dip, vinyl job. The red is Vvivid XPO vinyl I bought off eBay for $150 the black is plasti dip. The car was orginally silver. I paid $850 for that one.

Yep that's the one I sold. I would still recommend it though. When I had to take some off to repair body damage it was stuck on pretty good, but came off in large sections.Only question left is color fade with a lot of sun exposure.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/17 10:58 a.m.
jr10cross wrote:
AWSX1686 wrote:
Yep that's the one I sold. I would still recommend it though. When I had to take some off to repair body damage it was stuck on pretty good, but came off in large sections.Only question left is color fade with a lot of sun exposure.

Sun exposure is the real question!

When I bought my miata the PO has used some cheapo wrap that was originally a dark red sparkle, he only had it on there a year garage kept, and it faded to a pink sparkle by the time I bought it. It was kinda a pain to remove too.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/17 11:25 a.m.

I'm an instructor with the Rally Sport Region PCA in MI. The president lives in A2 and runs Renstatt Racing at Arbor Motion off of State St. He may have some guidance for you as well. If you want have any questions about tracking your car or want to come to one of our meetings, send me a message and I'll get you info. We're a pretty active PCA group that welcomes wven non Porsches in (look in my garage). Hope to meet you soon!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
2/2/17 8:59 a.m.

Got her finally up and running smooth.

Replaced: fuel line to pump fuel pump, timing belt, balance shaft belt

Installed: Speed and Reference Sensors

Total: $170 in parts

Here is the video of her at idle running smooth: https://www.youtube.com/embed/w2jAlnzxTgY

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
2/2/17 9:06 a.m.

Victory!

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
2/2/17 9:08 a.m.

That is awesome! less than $1k in a running Porsche. I am jealous.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
2/2/17 10:34 a.m.
cdowd wrote: That is awesome! less than $1k in a running Porsche. I am jealous.

Me too! Maybe there is a Porsche project in my future after all!

Jr10cross: if you want a heater for your garage I have a kerosene one I'm not using. Just let me know!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
2/2/17 11:18 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
cdowd wrote: That is awesome! less than $1k in a running Porsche. I am jealous.
Me too! Maybe there is a Porsche project in my future after all! Jr10cross: if you want a heater for your garage I have a kerosene one I'm not using. Just let me know!

Snatch one up! Automobile March 2017 just came out with an article on why you should buy a 944, so get one before everyone else gets wiser :) Thanks for the offer, I actually have a propane heater, but I'm not using it because I'm actually not that cold in the garage. Crazy for a California guy right! I guess the car just keeps me super excited.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/17 12:27 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: Snatch one up! Automobile March 2017 just came out with an article on why you should buy a 944, so get one before everyone else gets wiser :) Thanks for the offer, I actually have a propane heater, but I'm not using it because I'm actually not that cold in the garage. Crazy for a California guy right! I guess the car just keeps me super excited.

R&T just posted one online, too. Believe me, I'm looking. Considering a few other things, but still mostly focused on 944s.

I'm in Brighton, not too far from you. I plan on joining PCA once I find one, as well, maybe I'll see you there.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/2/17 12:33 p.m.

$400 Porsche? What's the worst that could happen?

Cheap Porsche threads here always remind me that the ratty 924 project my brother and I share hasn't moved from the garage in 2 years I need to find some time to get that thing running again so we can enjoy it this summer.

They are cool cars.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
2/2/17 12:42 p.m.

There is one sitting in a pole barn at the cottage I rent for the summer. It has been sitting in there for 10 years. I might have to have a conversation. My wife would love for me to have another car right?

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
2/2/17 2:10 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
jr10cross wrote: Snatch one up! Automobile March 2017 just came out with an article on why you should buy a 944, so get one before everyone else gets wiser :) Thanks for the offer, I actually have a propane heater, but I'm not using it because I'm actually not that cold in the garage. Crazy for a California guy right! I guess the car just keeps me super excited.
R&T just posted one online, too. Believe me, I'm looking. Considering a few other things, but still mostly focused on 944s. I'm in Brighton, not too far from you. I plan on joining PCA once I find one, as well, maybe I'll see you there.

Yeah man, I hope you find one soon, I'll keep my eyes open. Any preferences?

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/2/17 2:13 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: $400 Porsche? What's the worst that could happen? Cheap Porsche threads here always remind me that the ratty 924 project my brother and I share hasn't moved from the garage in 2 years I need to find some time to get that thing running again so we can enjoy it this summer. They are cool cars.

Yep I really like the 924. Give me one two-tone straight piped! Plus I think they are even easier to work on.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/2/17 2:14 p.m.
cdowd wrote: There is one sitting in a pole barn at the cottage I rent for the summer. It has been sitting in there for 10 years. I might have to have a conversation. My wife would love for me to have another car right?

Looks like from the R&T article it might turn into an investment too. That's what I always tell my wife. LOL

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/6/17 9:21 a.m.

So I'm on to the next part of my project, which is no brake pedal pressure and clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I noticed the reservoir was empty so I filled it and began bleeding the system. During the process I heard a spraying sound and yep there is a leak in the system. Here is a whiteboard explaining the system after I researched everything and found my problem. https://www.youtube.com/embed/8z9tRtrGJRE

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/6/17 9:45 a.m.

In (very) belated reply to Johnnie, the "Chryslerish thing" in the video appears to be a 1969 or 1970 Chrysler 300.

Excuse the detour. Please carry on with Porsche resuscitation!

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/9/17 6:33 a.m.

So, there's been more progress on the car. I've attacked the rear brake line leak and the dead clutch pedal. The video features a way to bleed a totally dry clutch that I stumbled on. I never found this method on the internet. Surprisingly, the master and slave seem to be working and I found out .... ...... ...... the clutch still works! Check out the video to see the rest of my progress. https://www.youtube.com/embed/v2NLt3Rbl6M

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8HmKlJOJrHaapnTG9YQLCxFrgyYC3AGJLpAZZicgkrsdRTqIk0Z25iajVuj2ci2e