1 2 3
RandyS
RandyS Reader
5/29/10 12:27 a.m.

That car is very unloved in the Ferrari world. I have seen several survivor and restored examples go for only $16-19k. In it's condition $4500 is probably too much.

For the right price is might make a good vintage racer or rally car. hotlinks -->

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/29/10 12:51 a.m.
Put an Iron Duke in it. Yeah, wrap your head round that one.

Wow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/10 5:52 a.m.

With the Subiesport connection, I vote for turbo flat four!

RossD
RossD Dork
5/29/10 8:25 a.m.

4BT

Will
Will HalfDork
5/29/10 8:42 a.m.
mistanfo wrote:
Will wrote: Naturally, I'll suggest an LS1.
why? Especially considering that an LS3, or even an LS9 is easily available.

Because you can buy and build up an LS1 to the same or more hp as one of the later LS engines for a lot less money. Do you have any idea what an LS9 crate engine costs? $23,149.95 from Summit Racing, and I haven't seen any wrecked ZR1s yet. If you don't think you can get 640 crank hp from an LS1 after throwing over $20,000 at it you're not trying very hard.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/29/10 8:50 a.m.

ROTORIZE IT!

It is amazing what fender flares, wheels, and a decent wing can do to that car...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/29/10 8:54 a.m.
Marty! wrote: Ok, I'll be the dissenter and say that this particular Ferrari is fugly and I can think of a lot better cars to spend $4500+ on to get back on the road. Flame away, my fire suit is well cooled by 9 Miller lights right now. Make that 10........

But it is still a Ferrari.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
5/29/10 11:34 a.m.

I want it.

All I need is the money to buy it, fix it and a place to work on it.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/29/10 12:57 p.m.

Call me weird, but that car looks good. I say LSx for cheap power, Subaru flat six for the Subiesport guys, or VW TDI for shock value.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/29/10 1:03 p.m.
Marty! wrote: Ok, I'll be the dissenter and say that this particular Ferrari is fugly and I can think of a lot better cars to spend $4500+ on to get back on the road. Flame away, my fire suit is well cooled by 9 Miller lights right now. Make that 10........

plus eleventy. At SCRAP price, it'd pique my interest. Case of your favorite beer for whoever does the 4g63...(les.)

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
5/29/10 1:37 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Call me weird, but that car looks good. I say LSx for cheap power, Subaru flat six for the Subiesport guys, or VW TDI for shock value.

You are not weird. In fact, you are far closer to the prevailing opinion from those in the know. While unloved initailly, the 308 GT4 has been gaining in popularity over the years and is considered to be an attractive design that has aged well. Far more attractive with euro bumpers or retracting the domestic pieces. 15-19K for restored examples(as someone posted)? Hardly. I sold my restored(and upgraded) GT4 for over 40k not very long ago. It still requires over 30k for a nice car. A GT4 may be an inexpensive Ferrari, but the parts and service(if you don't do your own work) are just as pricey as more desirable models so choose wisely. This car, if truly mostly rustfree, is worth every penny of the asking price for parts alone. Considering that an original engine/transaxle would be cost prohibitive, a cool swap would be the ticket. You'd end up with a stylish, mid-engine exotic from one of Italy's best design houses and badged with the planet's most prestigious name. As a bonus, you get a couple vestial rear seats for the offspring. win-win-win

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
5/29/10 1:52 p.m.

What about a maserati quattroporte engine? You can find those quattroporte rusting away if you look under the right rock.

Who make a high revving low displacement V8? Wasn't there a 3l BMW V8? There is also the mercedes european 3.5l V8 m117?, one of the few high compression motors.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/29/10 2:14 p.m.

Well, if money be dammed, there's always the Hayabusa V-8. 455 hp!

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/29/10 5:24 p.m.

+1 for busa v8

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/29/10 8:02 p.m.

Alfa V6...with a turbo?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/10 9:08 p.m.

Audi V8 and 6-speed transaxle?

Build some pretty valve covers and few would know better, or care ;)

To really screw people up, put a Lambo drivetrain in it.

An Alfa V6 from a FWD model would be pretty cool too!

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/29/10 9:34 p.m.

I always heard that in order to be a real Ferrari, it needs 12 cylinders.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/29/10 9:47 p.m.

Toyota 503E.

Should be scary enough.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/30/10 1:13 a.m.

Viper V10? Would it fit?

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/30/10 11:28 a.m.
4BT

Better than an Iron Duke but i prefer the later TDI suggestion for weight reasons

Who make a high revving low displacement V8

You can find 3.4L dohc 32v v8 taurus SHO's for under $1k all the time, and they look cool too

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
5/30/10 8:34 p.m.

I know about the SHO V6's (discussed on here lots of times), but do any manual transmissions bolt up to a SHO V8?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/10 8:55 p.m.

The CL post said it......Rotary....if you need that exotic sound, go with a 3 or 4 rotor..... That body, flared fenders, right wing, high compression 4 rotor sound.... Yeah, I'd rock it.

madpanda
madpanda New Reader
6/1/10 5:51 p.m.

I would put a Subie flat 6 in it, raise the ride height, add skid plates and mud flaps, paint it up to look like a Lancia Stratos and take it rally crossing. But that's just me. 8)

Will
Will HalfDork
6/1/10 9:36 p.m.
Vigo wrote: You can find 3.4L dohc 32v v8 taurus SHO's for under $1k all the time, and they look cool too

Have fun finding parts for it.

pres589
pres589 Reader
6/1/10 9:53 p.m.

I like the idea of an Alfa 3.0 V6, not sure what trans would be good to join that to. Also the Audi V8 and there are transmissions that work for this out in the wild already.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TaChJINz0gL3H3J0rRvQdtPQpKoe5tmu2CPi8mVU5pmO9IwJ7eKaFMHGdCE5nxB7