1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/12/19 12:11 p.m.

I own a miata.  My kids like to ride in it.  I have three kids.  This necessitates many trips around the block.  I'd also like something fun to drive, maybe that I could do some minor time trial/TNIA/Autox with....  Been thinking about a 5 place car.  This is mostly a thought exercise, but what can you fit some kids and your wife in to have some fun..  Does not have to be a sedan or convertible.

yes.. I know I just got the miata.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/12/19 12:12 p.m.

Civic Type R seems to be the new hotness.

There are 4 in my region now and the owners are all pleased to death with them.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/12/19 12:13 p.m.

CTR woudl be nice.. but lets keep it to a $5K cap.

v6 accord?

E36?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/19 12:16 p.m.

4 door E30?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/12/19 12:16 p.m.

Lexus IS300? Infiniti G35 sedan?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/12/19 12:18 p.m.
NickD said:

Lexus IS300? Infiniti G35 sedan?

These, plus 3rd gen TL 6spd.  It’s better than the Accord because: Factory LSD

Fueled by Caffeine
9/12/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

that coudl be a fun daily.. hmmm

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
9/12/19 12:21 p.m.

3rd Gen Acura TL is definitely on the top of my list for that

G35 sedan is one I'd like to also try

E90/E92/E82 is one I've done and with a few mods (bushings and camber) would be perfect too 

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

That’s exactly why i bought mine

Only things is, they all tend to have cracked dashes.  Honda screwed up the formula for the dash plastic and/or the under-support structure.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 12:23 p.m.

Oh yeah, and they are classed in HS SCCA autoX classing.  (No word on the Type-S)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/19 12:36 p.m.

How small are your kids? Will they fit in the back of a Mustang GT?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/12/19 12:43 p.m.

I vividly remember an Evolution Performance Driving School event where several people brought early 2000s BMW M5s. The ended up using these for a couple lessons where several people would ride around with an instructor driving - it was like a two dimensional roller coaster ride. An M5 would be over the $5K cap, but a 540 with a manual would fit.

And, as others have asked - how much room will you and the kids need? There will be a lot more room if the kids are just big enough to be out of booster seats and you can put the front seat in the halfway position vs trying to tote around a rear-facing child seat while the front seats are jammed all the way back.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/12/19 12:46 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

5 8 and 10.. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 12:49 p.m.

One thing to think about, if you start digging into specs, is manufacturers count front and rear foot space differently.  So, to get a good idea of how much room there is, it’s best to add the front and rear together to compare between manufacturers/models.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/19 12:59 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

5 8 and 10.. 

I have kids of similar ages.  They fit in my Jag XK coupe, yours will fit in a Mustang.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/12/19 1:26 p.m.

Don't mind me, I'm just E36 M3posting.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/12/19 1:45 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

E36?

You can get a decent E46 for that money; probably even a 330i.  I had fun autocrossing my 325i.  Bear in mind that all E46s fall in DS so when a stock M3 shows up, he's in your class, and will take your lunch money.  WTG comp board.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/19 1:52 p.m.

Jaguar jaguar jaguar!

I've got one that's faster than its looks and one that looks better than its fast.

Both seat my whole family. Both get compliments all the time. 

Both fit inside your $5k budget (together, not each!)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/19 1:56 p.m.

I've yet to take the green one autoxing but there should be a couple in the challenge results this year...

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/19 1:59 p.m.
Duke said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

E36?

You can get a decent E46 for that money; probably even a 330i.  I had fun autocrossing my 325i.  Bear in mind that all E46s fall in DS so when a stock M3 shows up, he's in your class, and will take your lunch money.  WTG comp board.

E36 definitely not what I'd call a 5-place car for more than a couple of minutes, even for kids (narrower than you think), E46 is marginal but maybe doable.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/19 2:06 p.m.

$5K? $2000 P71 and a lot of tires? 

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/19 2:08 p.m.

Pretty sure E46 cars are in G Street now.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/12/19 2:11 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I am the founding member of the He man P71 haters club.  It's was a good taxi until the prius came along.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/12/19 2:12 p.m.

Jag seems to be the new hotness around here. Accord/TL works but you'll always be the weird guy with the fat Honda. When it comes to Mustangs and coupes and what not, my data point is that my kids are 100% not in favor of two door cars with back seats. They deal because the Accord is covered in stickers and all the middle schoolers think it's cool, but they hate having to climb in past the seat. 

I'd look very hard at an 8th gen Civic Si. I think they're better track cars out of the box than the bigger Hondas. Have LSD and come in a four door. Downside is you're a grow ass man driving a fart can Civic. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/19 2:14 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I am the founding member of the He man P71 haters club.  It's was a good taxi until the prius came along.

I'm not a fan personally either... what about the Caprice PPV? LS awesomeness and 6spd auto?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tyChWrZbKILCBo4VHktOe0D4EX9iGeGmaXGunLuq88yhHoDkCe442oK8ttxKx4M8