Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/11 6:30 p.m.

I was contemplating everything I should do to my 944 over the winter while browsing CL for 5.0 parts...

I'm pretty sure I could sell the 2.5/EFI/clutch for more than a 5.0/carb costs. How do I make it fit?

Just brain-storming/dreaming here but the googles just siad "El Es Juan!!!"...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/11 6:37 p.m.

I think the issue with the 5.0 was the distributor wouldn't clear or something to that effect. I think it was explained better on the Porsche Hybrids wiki. Might check it out there.

I'd hate to see you step backwards to a carb'd 5.0 though. At least go with EFI on it if you go ahead with your crazy plan (there was a poor guy on Pelican that just had his engine bay catch on fire and may be looking for replacement parts)

I remember seeing on CL recently a complete aluminum block Buick 215 with a bellhousing adapter for a T5, etc for cheap. I know that swap has been done (overseas mostly)

Javelin
10/5/11 6:48 p.m.

I have a sawzall and a crazy penchant for giant cowl scoops, so hood fitment can suck it.

Honestly though, my 2.5 runs great and I'd be a little crazy to ever hack up this car. It was just interesting to ponder and quite a few busted-timing-belt 944's pop up for sale for dirt cheap.

turboswede
10/5/11 8:18 p.m.

Some info:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t871-ford-50-conversion

Personally, I think a different motor would make more sense, something a little more modern, otherwise, I'd just buy the 'stang and get on with life. :)

With that said, if the parts fall into your lap, who am I to judge? Run what ya brung!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/5/11 9:09 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I have a sawzall and a crazy penchant for giant cowl scoops, so hood fitment can suck it.

I know I may be cursing it by mentioning it, but that sure sounds like an entry in "Say What?" to me...

Megasquirt, and use EDIS. No distributor = no distributor location problems.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
10/5/11 9:29 p.m.

I'd bet it's the bottom end of the distributor issue (oil pump position). Hump in the oil pan tends to interfere with crossmembers on a few conversions. Modify the crossmember and get on with it, dry sump it or go LSx shopping.

turboswede
10/5/11 9:38 p.m.

Original 924 used a steel cross member that is much easier to modify. Manual steering (rabbit based) may not be the most fun with a V8. Adapter brackets are available to fit the 944 power rack in place. The rest of the suspension, torque tube and transaxle need to be updated to handle the power though.

924S and 944 used a cast aluminum crossmember. A little more difficult to modify, but the chassis is better suited to handle the power.

And of course the cross members are not interchangeable, FTMFL.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
10/6/11 7:24 a.m.

I believe the 5.0 in the Explorer came with a cam position sensor in place of the distributor. Not sure on the years however...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
10/6/11 7:28 a.m.

Ford 302 into a Porsche?

I approve of this project!

As for carbs and distributors, look into some of the electronic fuel injection (EFI) stuff made by Holley and FAST.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
10/6/11 9:37 a.m.

Why be the trail blazer? Everything you need to drop an LSx into a 944 is commercially available and there's a HUGE brain trust for how to do it.

I love my LS1 powered 951!

turboswede
10/6/11 10:10 a.m.

Of course "regular" 350's and LT1's are slightly cheaper and performance parts are pretty cheap and the swap has been detailed quite well already using junkyard parts.

Though, a Trans-Am style 302 would make for a screamer and would fit the 944's personality, IMHO. Of course Chevy made a Trans-Am style motor as well. Just sayin'

Javelin
10/6/11 10:50 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Why be the trail blazer? Everything you need to drop an LSx into a 944 is commercially available and there's a HUGE brain trust for how to do it. I love my LS1 powered 951!

LSx = cubic $$$

Ford 5.slow = 3 in my backyard.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/6/11 11:02 a.m.
RossD wrote: I believe the 5.0 in the Explorer came with a cam position sensor in place of the distributor. Not sure on the years however...

'96 and later. That was also the first year of the 5.0 in the Explorer - there were no factory distributor equipped 5.0 Explorers.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 1:31 p.m.

If I remember right the 5.0 Exploder was listed with less horsepower due to the block hugging headers it required for that tiny engine bay. Those tight headers might be a good thing for use in a 924/944 swap. Good heads on those Exploder motors too.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
10/6/11 1:34 p.m.

So get a 4.8 LS truck motor. They can be had for $600, complete.

turboswede
10/6/11 1:37 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
docwyte wrote: Why be the trail blazer? Everything you need to drop an LSx into a 944 is commercially available and there's a HUGE brain trust for how to do it. I love my LS1 powered 951!
LSx = cubic $$$ Ford 5.slow = 3 in my backyard.

Sounds like you need to sell those three and buy one 944 basket and a 4.8 LS motor.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/11 8:01 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Javelin wrote:
LSx = cubic $$$ Ford 5.slow = 3 in my backyard.
Sounds like you need to sell those three and buy one 944 basket and a 4.8 LS motor.

And then add forced induction

turboswede
10/7/11 10:36 a.m.

Exactly.

Javelin
10/7/11 11:01 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So get a 4.8 LS truck motor. They can be had for $600, complete.

It's not the actual LSx that's expensive, it's everything else. You need to get F-Body accessories to get everything under the hood, you usually need a GTO or Corvette oil pan, and then there's the car intake and the EFI/Ignition management, etc, etc, etc.

Believe me, if I had the disposable income this car would have had an LS1 about 3 seconds after purchase. One of our local PCA guys has a "948" with an LS2 that is just the E36 M3. Love that car.

turboswede
10/7/11 12:37 p.m.

Uh, yet the 5.0 requires even more mods to make it fit?

That's why you SELL the three 5.0 blocks and buy one 4.8 plus the parts you need to fit it. Wait for a half-price day at the local Pick-N-Pull and grab whatcha need.

What about the plain jane 350? or the LT1?

Looking at the shopping list, it comes to around $1200 for the LT1 kit. The LSx kit is a bit more than that.

Javelin
10/7/11 12:50 p.m.

Looks at Javelin project on jackstands and perfectly good running 944...

Yeah, I think I'll stop daydreaming now.

turboswede
10/7/11 1:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote: *Looks at Javelin project on jackstands and perfectly good running 944...* Yeah, I think I'll stop daydreaming now.

Touche' future Mr. Daddy. Touche'

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/11 2:01 p.m.

Poking around through the rare and unreliable data (all I've got is this and a quick google that suggests the iron LS is 88 pounds heavier than aluminum), that scores another for the 5.0 as the economy favorite in my book (being willing to assume I can get "more than sufficient" power out of a 5.0 and am more concerned about the extra weight on the front end than an additional power boost).

Of course, with the projects I already have lined up, I too should be able to look forward to the front-end weight reduction a flux capacitor would offer over an iron LS by the time I get around to this...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RiD9i2se0jerZCAhSDy6I5C5A1KGta21zaavwsIzJFDIE4Y65X4StgpecBd6bvlO