1 2 3 ... 8
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/13 6:52 p.m.

Well, got my cruiser. I had three main requirements: chrome bumpers, automatic on the column and a V8. I started looking for an early-'70s Chevy sedan--like the one Harry Dean Stanton drove in "Repo Man"--but then realized that a wagon was the answer.

This weekend we looked at this 1975 Pontiac Catalina Safari, and tonight Tom and I fetched it. It's a clean, stock, one-owner car. I figured a photo in front of Publix was fitting.

calatina_safari

And I totally heart the disco red interior.

catalina_safari_red_interior

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/16/13 7:08 p.m.

Nice score, I could be talked into the right Ford/Mercury from that era

photo 2013-05-18_09-18-01_494_zps5c214548.jpg

I am in love with this beauty

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/16/13 7:10 p.m.

Sweet, nice wagon! Welcome to the club.

If this keeps up GRM is going to need a longroof challenge :)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/16/13 7:11 p.m.

I like it! I drove a '71 Catalina (same body style) for many years, they're great cars.

David S. Wallens
7/16/13 7:16 p.m.

The thing did the hour-long drive home from Orlando without a problem. It had been sitting since February, so the tires needed a few miles to lose their flat spots. Figure it will get an oil change and some routine maintenance in the very near future. Then attention goes back to the 240SX. I wasn't planning on buying a cruiser just yet, but it was the right car/deal at the right time.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
7/16/13 7:21 p.m.

Sweetness. I like my volvo wagon but there are many days I wish I had just doubled down and gotten a true land barge.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
7/16/13 7:38 p.m.

Please tell me it has a clamshell tailgate and a 455 under the hood.

David S. Wallens
7/16/13 7:40 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Please tell me it has a clamshell tailgate and a 455 under the hood.

Clamshell, yes, but "just" a 400 topped with a four-barrel.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/16/13 8:03 p.m.

Needs some Rally II wheels.

The new aluminum 17" version Year One sells look good, and probably would be in proportion with the Catalina:

Will the wagon be towing the 240SX to the track?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/13 8:23 p.m.

Clamshell FTW!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/13 8:25 p.m.

You know, Smokey and the Bandit is on AMC right now, and that car would look perfect with one of those phony Trans Am hood scoops like the cop cars in the movie.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/16/13 8:26 p.m.

Sweet! I bet it feels like you're floating on a cloud when you drive.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
7/16/13 8:28 p.m.

I regret getting rid of my 1970 every time cruise in season rolls around

David S. Wallens
7/16/13 8:30 p.m.

Baby moons?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
7/16/13 8:34 p.m.

splendid

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
7/16/13 8:35 p.m.

On mine? No, just these and careful application of black paint.

The real thing looks pretty good on that woodgrain wagon.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
7/16/13 8:38 p.m.

A low option model. Interesting things noticed and memories from the picture:
Suicide windows. Crank window on the passenger door that is so far away you nearly drive into a ditch or tree trying to reach over far enough to roll the window.
Single bench that aids in the ability to slide over easier to roll the window. But, to move the seat (the whole seat) you have to pull the side lever then do a "butt dance" to try to gain enough motion and rhythm to have an influence on the position of that huge metal frame with metal springs.
Cool rig!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/16/13 8:41 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: The new aluminum 17" version Year One sells look good, and probably would be in proportion with the Catalina:

The problem is the Year One wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" which matches up to Firebirds and GTOs, while full size Pontiacs use a 5 x 5" pattern.

I'd go for a set of big car Rallye II wheels, but if I couldn't find them I'd leave the original wheel covers - they look good on those cars.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/16/13 8:52 p.m.

5000 Pounds of Metal would be a kickass band name.

David S. Wallens
7/16/13 8:52 p.m.
Knurled wrote: 5000 Pounds of Metal would be a kickass band name.

Thanks. I admit that I stole the concept from here: http://7000tons.com

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
7/16/13 9:29 p.m.

What a car. I love those land yachts.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/16/13 9:36 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote: The new aluminum 17" version Year One sells look good, and probably would be in proportion with the Catalina:
The problem is the Year One wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" which matches up to Firebirds and GTOs, while full size Pontiacs use a 5 x 5" pattern. I'd go for a set of big car Rallye II wheels, but if I couldn't find them I'd leave the original wheel covers - they look good on those cars.

I forgot about the big cars getting the 5" bolt pattern. I still encourage the Rally II's, they are a good looking wheel.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/16/13 9:42 p.m.

Time to make ze baybees!

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/16/13 9:52 p.m.

94-96 Impala 17X9.5" wheels will bolt right onto that car... i don't know if they still sell it, but GM used to have a single part number for all 4 wheels with lug nuts and center caps for not too much more money than a single bare wheel..

David S. Wallens
7/16/13 10:07 p.m.

And JohnRW1621, yeah, fairly low options. At some point I should go through the giant envelop of papers that came with the car, but I believe the only options are the FM radio and a/c--or was a/c standard that year?

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p8CFNam3jFZmAMjopqDfyu3T4OlCgRyChUUx3kiEmThR8CI5FU3KssJUCWU1CBNe