1 2 3 4
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 6:47 a.m.
maj75 wrote: Be careful, newer pickups don't have the robust tailgates of the past. Read up on the weight ratings of the tailgate for your choice before you assume it will support what you want to haul.

Early Tacomas had weak tailgates that would collapse with the weight of a motorcycle with a rider sitting on it. Toyota started reinforcing them around 2006 or 2007 and offered a retrofit / warranty kit for the early ones. The kit is no longer available (I had to make my own), but they probably learned their lesson and added some strength to the new ones.

Here's a new option for the early tailgates

*Not my truck:

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 6:54 a.m.

Bottom line though, I've hauled a bunch of bikes in the back of my long bed Tacoma and it really is just a pain in the ass to get a bike up that high. Next bike, I'm getting another small trailer.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/10/16 7:00 a.m.
Woody wrote: Bottom line though, I've hauled a bunch of bikes in the back of my long bed Tacoma and it really is just a pain in the ass to get a bike up that high. Next bike, I'm getting another small trailer.

The 17 taco has a reinforced tailgate. I bent my 2500HD gate like that though by forgetting to open it after raising the trailer and then driving it into the gooseneck. Doh!

Easy diy build:

At a track day I saw a guy with a double rail version behind a Suzuki SVX and two race bikes on it. It was amazing how easy it was to load unload them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a0vSkcQdrOyGsNXbYoEk2KxMOXusH7PVNu2Il8g0uZaeE0QDbAQqNjLybaBL7SpG