ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
6/30/08 9:27 p.m.

I went to the junkyard today to buy a few bits and pieces. I noticed a this Mazda 808 which used to be at a storage yard near my but it looks to have been sent to the local scrapyard sadly. Doesn't look too bad and shared the body shell with the desirable RX-3 (the RX-3 has round tail lights).

The Mercury Capri is an early 70s one with a 2.0L four shared with the Pinto - very rare to see. This one looked in not bad shape.

Hopefully being on the bus means they are to be saved. Scrapyard was closed so I couldn't ask.

more pics

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
6/30/08 10:10 p.m.

nice photo's........poor bug looks like the same color as the one that I gave to pupburggers

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/30/08 11:17 p.m.

Those are 2 sick junkyard finds.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/1/08 5:22 a.m.

That Capri is NICE. I haven't seen one that dry in a decade. Feel free to drop it off at my place.

I drove a 808 once. It ain't much of a car without the rotary.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/1/08 5:53 a.m.

Where is this mystical place where rust hibernates and paint is not UV effected?

Where's that jealousy happy face anyway?

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
7/1/08 10:22 a.m.

Arent some of the parts from that mercury truck worth $$$? Also, im pretty sure someone would pay alot of money for a decent 2 door RX3 shell. The capris are cool, but not really worth that much I dont think, although I certainly wouldnt mind having one.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/1/08 10:31 a.m.

Forget rotaries. That Mazda would be so right with a snarling 3.5L Rover V8. It would be like a 3/4 scale muscle car.

J

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 10:46 a.m.

I'll bet those cars were put on the buses so they'd be visible, and attract the likes of us.

Can't see it working. Nope, not at all.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/1/08 10:54 a.m.

3/4 scale musclecar—coming soon to an issue near you...

although it's not a Mazda, nor powered by a V8.

On topic- I think I want a Capri, but I know I'd like an RX-3.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
7/1/08 12:07 p.m.

These are in Lethbridge, Alberta just north of Montana. Lots of old rust free cars here. Sadly the economy is doing rather well in the last couple of years so people having junking older cars quite fast of late.

I'm going back to the yard on Wed so I'll see what is up with them. It used to have a Fiat 128 on a bus and also has a fintail Mercedes as well so hopefully they are for sale as a whole and folks can save them. Sadly not me as I'm lacking funds and space.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/08 1:01 p.m.

What kind of Fiero is this? Looks WAY better than the CRX-ish looking model:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/1/08 1:13 p.m.

For all ya'll drooling over the Capri, from Readers' Rides: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/381/

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/1/08 1:29 p.m.

seen it already and vote'd up as well

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/1/08 2:08 p.m.

My brothers' Capri was just like that one except it was brown. It met an untimely demise in a washout outside of Spartanburg SC one night. Yes, alcohol and stupidity were involved.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/1/08 10:50 p.m.

The Fiero is most likely the 2M4, with the rod-throwing 4 cylinder engine. Junk. You could get the original Fiero body like that with the 6, called (yes, really) the 2M6.

smog7
smog7 Dork
7/1/08 11:09 p.m.

thats it this post has inspired me to go to the junk yard tomorrow

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/08 11:54 p.m.

Enquiring minds want to know where said yard full of projects is located

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/2/08 6:23 a.m.

8 posts above yours is the answer, my reading comprehension challenged friend.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
7/2/08 11:09 a.m.
Jay wrote: Forget rotaries. That Mazda would be so right with a snarling 3.5L Rover V8. It would be like a 3/4 scale muscle car. J

I've seen one with a SBF and Mustang emblems before.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jRZH4DHV2R6w2ZorKPKblGJiRoLVW8KiEu0VMLUdQInjO9l65BkLjeC8kKXxMxSP