1 2 3 4
StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
9/9/10 11:43 a.m.

Hey Guys, one of my roomates drag races a 1250hp rail car, and has a 2002 Camaro with $18,900 worth of Engine and Trans upgrades, wtih QA1 shocks and drag radials for his street car. He thinks he can get around a road racing track faster than me in my '89 Honda Civic Si prepped for ITA in SCCA Club Racing. Before he and I go at it at Mid-Ohio (he wants to go head to head, but we'll go for lap time), what do you think? He obviously has way more power, but I have the handling...who's going to win? (and why)

Steven

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
9/9/10 11:46 a.m.

Bring him to the Patriot Course at VIR. I'll guarantee you a win.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/9/10 11:52 a.m.

How good of a driver is he, how good of a driver are you, and how tight is the track?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork

With, or without The Keyhole?

Steven, you're a licenced SCCA Club Racer, right? If he doesn't have equal driver creds, you'll probably mop him up. Big power can lead to big mistakes without training..Turn One at Mid-O comes to mind.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork

I hope he has good brakes

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
9/9/10 12:07 p.m.

I've only been to Mid-O once but I'm thinking that 750hp is pretty much useless especially in a car that's been modified to go in a straight line.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/9/10 12:10 p.m.

Unless he has lots of road course experience he will either off or spin.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
9/9/10 12:18 p.m.

make sure he sees this http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/aston-martin-flies-farther-than-wright-bros/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2UUunlI2Q

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
9/9/10 12:35 p.m.

Story time...

Many years ago when my friend Jon still had his 355 Challenge car, he decided to give some rides to people at Summit Point. One such gent was a drag racer who I guess drove one of those cars that goes 300 mph. Jon and him strapped in and Jon said if you have any problems just tap my leg. So Jon goes out and is doing a recon lap at about 80% when this guy just starts tapping his leg furiously by the time they reach turn 9. So Jon pulls into the pits, guy gets out and runs to the bathroom and comes back a few minutes later white as a ghost. Jon asks him if everything is ok, the guy says "Listen I've gone 300 miles in a straight line but I really thought you hated me and wanted to kill me because I've never gone that fast through a turn."

Relevant, no but still a funny story.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
9/9/10 1:16 p.m.

Please let us know when this will take place...I'd like to see it.

The Civic will win, more consistent speed over the course.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
9/9/10 1:16 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: wtih QA1 shocks and drag radials

Assuming he's running the drag tires I think you'll win.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/9/10 1:22 p.m.
ansonivan wrote:
StevenFV19 wrote: wtih QA1 shocks and drag radials
Assuming he's running the drag tires I think he'll die.

fixed.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
9/9/10 1:36 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: make sure he sees this http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/aston-martin-flies-farther-than-wright-bros/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2UUunlI2Q

cool, I used to have a Pedro Lamy Minardi pic on my bedroom wall when I was younger.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
9/9/10 3:19 p.m.

Sadly, i also think you will win because he will probably end up hurting himself. You have to have real restraint to take that kind of car around a road course without getting into trouble.. And judging by the fact that this guy feels sufficiently threatened by a civic that he's challenging you to a race, i dont think he will be a Zen Master on the track..

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
9/9/10 4:47 p.m.

He's not going far with drag slicks on that car. I'd also lay a wager the Civic would die of fright on a dragstrip. Different tools for different jobs.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
9/9/10 5:13 p.m.

I'll bet his Camaro still has the stock brakes on it. DoctorBlade has hit the nail square on the head.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/9/10 5:46 p.m.

If you are evil, start first with just enough of an interval that he will pass you right before you start braking for the first turn. Hit the brakes and watch hilarity ensue!

racerfink
racerfink Reader
9/9/10 6:09 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: If you are evil, start first with just enough of an interval that he will pass you right before you start braking for the first turn. Hit the brakes and watch hilarity ensue!

I'd MUCH rather watch him sail off into the grass from my front windshield, than have him be within four feet of me in a braking zone.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
9/9/10 6:17 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: Hey Guys, one of my roomates drag races a 1250hp rail car, and has a 2002 Camaro with $18,900 worth of Engine and Trans upgrades, wtih QA1 shocks and drag radials for his street car. He thinks he can get around a road racing track faster than me in my '89 Honda Civic Si prepped for ITA in SCCA Club Racing. Before he and I go at it at Mid-Ohio (he wants to go head to head, but we'll go for lap time), what do you think? He obviously has way more power, but I have the handling...who's going to win? (and why) Steven

There are plenty of guys at track day events all over the country that curse Miatas for beating their EXPENSIVE sports cars.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
9/9/10 6:23 p.m.

If this guy has no road-course experience, he should really attend some HPDE-type events before attempting this. He should also upgrade the brakes and get more road-course friendly tires- not as a performance upgrade but for safety reasons. Like everyone else here has pointed out, inexperience + lots of HP - effective brakes = disaster.

That being said, mount up a GoPro or something in each of your cars and record your laps- you know, for posterity and hilarity's sake!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
9/9/10 6:38 p.m.

I think the sane and reasonable thing to do would be to do the contest at an autocross first so he can comprehend what cornering is about and how terrible his car is going to be... Then make him understand the abuse that braking systems take on a road course.

hes banking on making up what he will loose in the corners in the straights, that means brake (ab)use

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/9/10 6:53 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: Hey Guys, one of my roomates drag races a 1250hp rail car, and has a 2002 Camaro with $18,900 worth of Engine and Trans upgrades,

$18,500? Sounds to me like you've already won this contest.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
9/9/10 8:24 p.m.

two weekends ago, i (with a 150 hp track-prepped 90 civic) passed porsche GT3s, super charged NSXs,wild wild z06's, track prepped mustangs, s2000s, and other things.

i was more familiar with the courses (autobahn south and full course, one day each , i was instructing), i got DESTROYED in the straights, but in the end, i didnt get passed by much other than a few very experienced guys in very expensive cars.

make sure he doesnt hurt himself. please. hes going to have a bad day.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/9/10 9:39 p.m.

Where is the Xtranormal video about the guy taking his Z06 to his first AutoX... Sounds right for the situation

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
9/9/10 10:29 p.m.
$18,500? Sounds to me like you've already won this contest.

No its 18,900 get it straight! And also LMAO!!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
29Awqs56cbpUNDJDFVOut3jRTFS1NbN4gbjfwtNjq3qiuVXzf1chyVa6YFMV4kK5