Abt12
Abt12 New Reader
9/1/22 3:16 p.m.

Currently driving a mk7 Golf R I have mildly built for STU Autocross while still keeping it DDable. ( https://youtu.be/dbLSjp4aNQU ). I'm not the best driver but I do alright overall.

I've recently convinced the wife to let me have a third car for autox/HPDE/weekend use. I have 75-100k to play with, not including the totally legit possibility of selling my R. I do ideally want a 2 car setup, a winter capable, comfortable but not completely boring DD, and an autocross/track car with an emphasis on fun and (generally) reliable. Ideally it would also be a good weekend/summer car. I'm leaning towards RWD or rear biased AWD. I don't have any experience driving rwd in anger so a 1000hp beast probably isn't the best fit!

Autox I'd like to be competitive (at a local/regional level at least) in Street or ST (200tw) classes.

Track use will be limited to HPDE, not wheel to wheel. Need to be able to drive it to and from the track, which in my state means definitely no engine swaps.

Anyway, considering some of the following but definitely looking for input and any other cars I should consider.. These would put the R back on full time DD duty. I'm in no particular hurry so I'm fine waiting for a car. I plan on doing most of my own work, and I won't be doing heavy engine modifications.

Roughly ordered cheap to expensive... The higher I go the more flack I get from the wife laugh and the more track insurance costs, so I'm thinking I might stay in the mid range or below.

1. ND Miata (probably stock for a bit then moving to STR)
  2. Fiata 124 Spider Abarth
  3. New BRZ/GT86
  4. GR Corolla
  5. Corvette C6 Z06
  6. MW M2 Comp
  7. Corvette C7 grand sport
  8. 981 Cayman S
  9. Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
  10. Lotus Emira V6(thing looks GORGEOUS, no clue on autox prowess)
  11. 991.1 911 C2S
  12. Corvette C8 stingray

Going cheaper would potentially mean I replace the R with something nicer for DD use. Or I could go down a bit and get a used Chevy Volt or something if my summer car is pretty capable/reliable (like the Caddy or the Porsches).

Good problem to have, I know. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm leaning Cayman S at the moment. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/22 3:26 p.m.

My buddy recently sold his 964 and replaced it with a 987.2 Cayman S. He does a lot of HPDE with it and loves it. To date, all he's done is baseline it and buy a 2nd set of wheels for 200TW tires. Lots he can eventually do to it as well (suspension, etc). 

HPD Civic R TC class turn key race car 

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
9/1/22 3:40 p.m.

Might be able to snag a 981 GT4 for that budget! I'd go that way. 

I don't know that it's competitive in autox, but R35 GTR is in that price range and puts a smile on my face. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/22 4:01 p.m.

Any kind of Corvette is a good deal in dollars vs. performance, although I'd think a C6 or C7 would be a much better deal right now due to depreciation vs. rampant price gouging on new C8s.

I keep thinking I would've got a C6 instead of a Toyobaru (which I bought for the same purpose) if I was working with a 2~4x larger budget (including consumables).

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/22 4:11 p.m.

I propose that the answer to your question is this:

The cheapest to buy is also going to be cheapest to own, and I suspect more reliable than anything else there. It's also the car to have in CS and STR. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/22 4:55 p.m.

Cayman. That's what I would do, but I'm also not playing with that kind of scratch. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
9/1/22 6:18 p.m.

$75k should still get you a cayman gts these days. But yes, some flavor of cayman is absolutely the right answer. GT4 would also be a decent choice if you decide to push the limits of your budget.

Edit: but honestly I'd probably rather have the GTS and $25k in my bank account.

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
9/1/22 6:51 p.m.

Practical me:

ND Miata and a Roth IRA

Actual me:

C7 Grand Sport and a few sets of tires.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
9/1/22 11:10 p.m.

I made a similar list, but won't track a car that I can't afford to ball up. So instead of buying a track-focused "sure thing" (911 or Cayman), I instead chose a Jaguar F-Type R, which is much more of a true GT car. Fast enough to still be fun and entertaining, but too heavy (and expensive) to be a track car for me. If I ever get back out on-track, it'll likely be in a Miata of some sort.

Abt12
Abt12 New Reader
9/1/22 11:33 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

HPD Civic R TC class turn key race car 

Sadly wouldn't be a good autox choice. Also looking for rwd, while i readily admit the CTR is ridiculously capable and fast even in stock trim, I'm looking to try out the rear bias life!

Abt12
Abt12 New Reader
9/1/22 11:35 p.m.
kb58 said:

I made a similar list, but won't track a car that I can't afford to ball up. So instead of buying a track-focused "sure thing" (911 or Cayman), I instead chose a Jaguar F-Type R, which is much more of a true GT car. Fast enough to still be fun and entertaining, but too heavy (and expensive) to be a track car for me. If I ever get back out on-track, it'll likely be in a Miata of some sort.

The limited HPDEs I'd do I plan on getting track day insurance for. There's "afford" and there's "convince the wife it needs replacing". Sadly she's not a car person so it's worth the insurance!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/1/22 11:42 p.m.

So many cool ideas.... how about an imported Nissan Skyline GT-R plus the rest in mods? 

Abt12
Abt12 New Reader
9/1/22 11:57 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

So many cool ideas.... how about an imported Nissan Skyline GT-R plus the rest in mods? 

Would definitely hold value well but don't think it's "officially" autocrossable since it's imported. Plus I already need to get used to shifting again (the R is DSG), going to be hard enough without having to do it wrong handed! Although I'm not sure you can even get base R34s for under 6 figures these days

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/2/22 8:03 a.m.

I dig the C6Z. I feel like some flavor of Viper should be in there also.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/2/22 8:16 a.m.

I'd have a tough time picking from that list. Probably the Mata or GR86 for me but I'm cheap. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/22 8:20 a.m.
Opti
Opti Dork
9/2/22 8:22 a.m.

That's a big budget so you can make a lot of stuff work.

I like the c6 z06, and every couple months consider picking one up. Last I heard the guys using them for track work where still having head problems. Even after fixing them the problem comes back after a few seasons. Check valve guide wear has become recommended maintenance for track guys. It wouldn't bother me for a street car, but I'm not keen on routinely having to pull heads and have them serviced. Then you have the non track specific problem of the flaking rods.

I would assume the point of a track car is to be capable, reliable, and ready to go come race Day.

One to consider is a brand new 6th gen camaro 1le. Let GM service it, tell them it's a track toy so they are doing the right service intervals and if it pops on the track they warranty it. Atleast for 3 to 5 years you only have to worry about consumables, which are expensive but not in this company.

Available in 455hp or 650 hp spec, if you go new you've got the option of the manual or the excellent 10 speed.

Same platform as the CT4 mentioned but less complicated and GM has said they warranty track work.

If it's going to be used as a weekend car, you really just need to pick one that you love, so drive them all, see which one you like, and make sure it isn't a terrible track car

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
9/2/22 8:37 a.m.

M.I.A.T.A. is always the answer.  It's gonna be either the quickest  or right near it at autocross, and it's gonna be entertaining but not bonkers on track (95% of drivers have no business with 500 hp cars on track, there is no "winning" an HPDE).  Put the extra cash into other things.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/6/22 2:53 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

M.I.A.T.A. is always the answer.  It's gonna be either the quickest  or right near it at autocross, and it's gonna be entertaining but not bonkers on track (95% of drivers have no business with 500 hp cars on track, there is no "winning" an HPDE).  Put the extra cash into other things.

After just doing an event with 500+hp cars with novice drivers this is the most true statement on the internet. Half have no clue what to do in the car and the other half don't want to point by a car that cost less than half their shiny new Corvette, Porsche or Jaguar. Then the real shiny happy people point you by but then accelerate to drag race you to the next corner. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rhdFlf8kkr3lQppkXInzf8jHTx1VCQ8WJARGi5bdZJCYpsQtMKWWPb7WiP3RpTox