1 ... 7 8 9 10
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/16/11 2:24 p.m.

I'm not sure why the dyno is like that....

failboat
failboat HalfDork
9/16/11 3:05 p.m.

haha turbo lag much?

nice thread bump, reminded me i saw a bone stock 80's subaru loyale coupe turbo at the grocery store the other day.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:07 p.m.
failboat wrote: haha turbo lag much? nice thread bump, reminded me i saw a bone stock 80's subaru loyale coupe turbo at the grocery store the other day.

Heh, that's not lag... looks like they didn't start reading until 4k for some reason.

imirk
imirk Reader
9/16/11 3:11 p.m.

That Dyno is screwed. the lines are supposed to cross at 5600....

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:14 p.m.
imirk wrote: That Dyno is screwed. the lines are supposed to cross at 5600....

It's in nm for torque, which will show a bit differently... in "traditional" US terms, it made 342wtq.

I'd also bet you dollars to donuts that my MX6 wouldn't cross at 5600.

imirk
imirk Reader
9/16/11 3:16 p.m.

If you measure it in ft-lbs it will, unless it doesn't spin that high.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:24 p.m.
imirk wrote: If you measure it in ft-lbs it will, unless it doesn't spin that high.

Spins to 6200.

That's stock, with a big turbo car like mine, the "twin peaks" get even worse. I'd be surprised if i made 200wtq at redline on 20psi, but it'll make every bit of 350-400wtq at ~3800rpms.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:30 p.m.

Wait.... i think the number is 5250 now that i think about it, which makes more sense with the dynos i'm seeing.

imirk
imirk Reader
9/16/11 3:32 p.m.

balls, I was close to the number though, can we pretend we were playing horseshoes?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:34 p.m.
imirk wrote: balls, I was close to the number though, can we pretend we were playing horseshoes?

Absolutely!

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/11 3:50 p.m.

LOL!!!

I just noticed the AFRs on that dyno graph. Speaking of 80s turbo goodness, how do we feel about 80s factory turbo car tuning? Nice, huh?

Grizz
Grizz Reader
9/16/11 3:54 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
RossD wrote: Turbo colt "0-50 in 5.78 seconds" ??? WTF?
Yep, they were insanely quick. They were also complete E36 M3. Think of a Coors light can on wheels with an early iteration of the Mitsubishi turbo 4 that grew into the 4G63. The 0-60 time was closer to 6.9 seconds.

I rode in one of those, quick is putting it mildly, as is complete E36 M3. I loved the fear of death mixed with utter joy, it's a rare car that mixes them so perfectly.

I want to get an 89 and see what the 1.6 will do before it goes boom.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/17/11 12:43 a.m.
haha turbo lag much?

Not necessarily. If he didnt go WOT until 4k, that's what it might look like.

Wait.... i think the number is 5250 now that i think about it, which makes more sense with the dynos i'm seeing.

LOL

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
9/19/11 11:51 a.m.

Funny, my nightly CL search turned up an Omni GLH turbo and a Saab 900 SPG, both for challenge-friendly prices.

I know the Dodge can go fast in a straight line, but what about turning?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 1:51 p.m.
Geekspeed wrote: Funny, my nightly CL search turned up an Omni GLH turbo and a Saab 900 SPG, both for challenge-friendly prices. I know the Dodge can go fast in a straight line, but what about turning?

Look at A1/A2 Rabbit/Golf to get an idea.

Better chassis on the Omni (steering rack isn't just bolted to the thin sheetmetal, etc) and some of the Rabbit parts can be used on the Omni.

Yeah, they can turn okay (My Uncle's GLH):

Though at some point you just need to add more tire:

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
9/19/11 2:09 p.m.

So, would you take an Omni over a 900 SPG?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/19/11 2:12 p.m.

Tough choice.... i wouldn't, though. I'd rather the SPG.

No real good reasons, i just like them better.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/19/11 2:47 p.m.

I had a charger (same as the omni other than the body) and it handled reasonablly well. Performance struts aren't sold anymore, but whatever else you want is still around. The car got really bad mileage (18-20) and the interior rattled quite a lot, and the reliability was terrible, the fact that much of the factory parts are no longer sold and you have to settle for autozone crap didn't much help either. I don't think I would buy one unless you were either going to replace everything (wiring, brakes, engine, transmission, fuel system) with parts from newer turbo dodges, or restore it and not use it much.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/19/11 2:50 p.m.
failboat wrote: haha turbo lag much? nice thread bump, reminded me i saw a bone stock 80's subaru loyale coupe turbo at the grocery store the other day.

I drove one of those once, girl had broken her arm at my parents house and needed to get her and her car home. Of course I voluteered, she was WAY cute. Car was slow as molasses though.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
9/19/11 3:00 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
turboswede wrote:
RossD wrote: Turbo colt "0-50 in 5.78 seconds" ??? WTF?
Yep, they were insanely quick. They were also complete E36 M3. Think of a Coors light can on wheels with an early iteration of the Mitsubishi turbo 4 that grew into the 4G63. The 0-60 time was closer to 6.9 seconds.
I rode in one of those, quick is putting it mildly, as is complete E36 M3. I loved the fear of death mixed with utter joy, it's a rare car that mixes them so perfectly. I want to get an 89 and see what the 1.6 will do before it goes boom.

My original point was stating the 0-50 mph time. I get 0-62 mph but not 50 mph... That's probably what Turboswede was alluding to...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 4:00 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I had a charger (same as the omni other than the body) and it handled reasonablly well. Performance struts aren't sold anymore, but whatever else you want is still around. The car got really bad mileage (18-20) and the interior rattled quite a lot, and the reliability was terrible, the fact that much of the factory parts are no longer sold and you have to settle for autozone crap didn't much help either. I don't think I would buy one unless you were either going to replace everything (wiring, brakes, engine, transmission, fuel system) with parts from newer turbo dodges, or restore it and not use it much.

Huh, my Daytona Shelby got 30mpg at 90mph nearly all the way to Vegas for the 20th Anniversary of the Shelby Charger. All of my Turbo-Dodges got around 20mpg around town.

I don't shop at Autozone, but I've not had issues with parts from Napa, Baxter's or even Schuck's (o'Reilly's). EFI sensors are all mostly semi-standard Bosch pieces, so many connectors were available for replacement. Wiring does take a huge beating from the heat in the turbo cars, especially Omni's and Charger's.

Struts are solvable with some detective work. I know that the struts from an early 924/944 will fit on an Omni and vise versa. I've done it with the double adjustables I bought from my Uncle. Oh and those were originally from Ground-Control and slated for a Rabbit, FYI. Early Lonis for the 924/944 are still available, plus Bilsteins, etc.

The decision as to which way to go would depend on the intended use. For a Challenge/AutoX beater? Omni. For a DD/occasional AutoX rig, the SAAB.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/19/11 4:00 p.m.

could the 0-50 have to do with the 55mph speed limit for part of the time?... could have just been marketing... good question :)

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/19/11 4:11 p.m.

I bet 2nd gear tops out at 50mph, and the 0-60 time is more like 9 seconds.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/19/11 4:33 p.m.

Daytonas get much better mileage than the 85 T1 cars. The best tank I had was 24 mpg, it was mostly 18-22 with mostly freeway and some in town driving. Yeah the reason i finally gave up on it is the wiring harness deteriorated too much and started causing intermittent loss of power to the ignition while driving, it got very annoying after a while.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 4:42 p.m.
donalson wrote: could the 0-50 have to do with the 55mph speed limit for part of the time?... could have just been marketing... good question :)

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, no more callers please! Pick up any 80's car magazine and you will see all of the cars and ads as 0-50.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68fSEFhGPUp48hKx5MoVOIoghFMa5FWSH3gt8NbGG4UmRzW7Pv4cB7lfRxu0NDlZ