1 2 3 4
jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 11:24 a.m.

There you go. [URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/transworksMCdiff_zpsc39d031a.jpg.html][/URL] you go.

[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000front_zps195486a8.jpg.html][/URL]

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/14/14 11:31 a.m.

In reply to jmc14:

Interesting... how would that interface with a chain-drive from a MC engine?

After posting, I did some Googling and found these guys in the UK:

http://westgarage.co.uk/index.html

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 11:48 a.m.

To use the diff shown the engine is mounted longitudinally. The sprocket is removed and replaced with a damper that connects to a short driveshaft which connects to the diff. Since the Abarath engine was mounted longitudinally this set up would work well. But, as you have found there are other options including the set ups used in cars like the Radical.

I like the idea of eliminating the chain drive. But, I have zero experience with MC powered cars.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/14/14 12:00 p.m.

In reply to jmc14:

Ah... that makes sense. More options = good.

Who makes that?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/14 12:22 p.m.

Do any quads (or the newer big 'off-road golf cart' quads) use chain drives and chain driven diffs? I've seen a few chain drive 4 wheelers but they have no diff. Just a sprocket on a shaft with u joints.

exST165
exST165 New Reader
11/14/14 12:23 p.m.

jmc14, please start a build thread when you start working on that Abarth! I'm also interested to know what you would want for a fiberglass body off those molds.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
11/14/14 1:00 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: I like the 60's sports racers and Can Am cars. I'm hoping to be well enough soon to work on my car projects. While sitting at home I was cruising the internet for old fiberglass bodies and came across a complete set of molds for one of my favorite looking cars of all time. I bought them and they are being shipped to me right now. It's mid engine and I would want a car with this body over anything else that I've seen. The molds were pulled from an original Abarath SP1000. I realize that it doesn't represent something modern. But, to me it's stunningly beautiful. [URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathside1000greatpic_zpsb6ca17ed.jpg.html][/URL]

I can't wait to see the build thread.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 1:38 p.m.

Ian the company that makes the diff is Transworks. www.transworks.biz

For anyone wanting a body they will be $4990. They will be available starting in January.

I am working with a friend of mine that owns a race car chassis business to design and fabricate a dedicated frame to mount the body to. Jigs will be made so a frame will be available as well. They will be available in the spring. This is for fun for me. I am retired and I don't need to sell anything to make a living.

For the past few years I've been trying to find the car that I can build and be excited about. I've posted about them on this forum. When I saw the Abarath I knew that it was the car that I have been looking for. Everything else is on the back burner. I am 100% in on getting this car done.

I will start a build thread when I have something to show. It will be a month or so until that happens. Here is a picture of some of the molds.

[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000molds_zps6112f77f.jpg.html][/URL]

lrrs
lrrs New Reader
11/14/14 4:34 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: I am working with a friend of mine that owns a race car chassis business to design and fabricate a dedicated frame to mount the body to. Jigs will be made so a frame will be available as well. They will be available in the spring.

What is the projected wheel base and track width ? I have a Kelmark GT on a vw bug chassis and have many thoughts running though my head, like find a wrecked boxster or and 818 chassis and put the Kelmark on it, if your chassis will have a 95" wheel base, and a similar track width 60 Rear 58 Front, if I recall correctly, it might make sense to consider what your building. Thanks and good luck on your project, Steve

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 4:48 p.m.

Thanks for your comments Steve. Unfortunately the Abarath is much smaller than the Kelmark.

Wheelbase is 86.6 Width is 64.8 Rear track is 52.0 Front track is 51.4

Those are numbers that seen listed for the car.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 4:59 p.m.

I just realized that I made a mistake about the mini diff being 1:1 ratio. The stock ratio is 5.55:1 (if I remember correctly). Other ratios are available.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. When I saw other people expressing opinions about what other cars they would prefer I jumped in.

D2W
D2W New Reader
11/14/14 5:28 p.m.

Between those two I would take the boxster in a heartbeat. The 818 was a total styling disappointment. And after the "Design" contest turned out to be little more than a virtually free add campaign my opinion of Factory Five has changed. If I want to build a car I'll buy an Exocet, or some old project car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/14 5:47 p.m.

In reply to jmc14:

I'm not trying to nitpick, but I have to ask this because I was also confused in the other thread in which you mentioned these fiberglass bodies:

You keep saying "Abarath". Is "Abarath" a kit car tribute to the Abarth SP1000, or are you just misspelling Abarth? Either way, I love the fact that you are going to begin making these bodies. Keep the updates coming!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 5:55 p.m.

Thanks Woody for pointing that out. I can't believe that I have been misspelling the name. It is Abarth. The logo for the Abarth is a scorpion. I think that I'll just call it the "Stinger". I won't forget that!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/14 6:00 p.m.

Thanks for clearing that up! I love the car and I'm going to be following your build very closely.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/14 8:17 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: Ian the company that makes the diff is Transworks. www.transworks.biz For anyone wanting a body they will be $4990. They will be available starting in January. I am working with a friend of mine that owns a race car chassis business to design and fabricate a dedicated frame to mount the body to. Jigs will be made so a frame will be available as well. They will be available in the spring. This is for fun for me. I am retired and I don't need to sell anything to make a living. For the past few years I've been trying to find the car that I can build and be excited about. I've posted about them on this forum. When I saw the Abarath I knew that it was the car that I have been looking for. Everything else is on the back burner. I am 100% in on getting this car done. I will start a build thread when I have something to show. It will be a month or so until that happens. Here is a picture of some of the molds. [URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000molds_zps6112f77f.jpg.html][/URL]

This is really encouraging news. I'm really looking forward to seeing your build.

As far as powertrains go, it looks like the original SP 1000 was powered by a version of the engine/trans in the Fiat 850 spider. I wonder if using this setup may have it's merits?

Also, looks like there is company in the U.K. is reproducing the Campagnolos on the original so a semi accurate replica is possible if desired.

Other than the body did your molds include the dash and the seat areas?

Lastly, I wonder if there are any images of blueprints of the original chassis? Please keep us updated I'm really interested in this one. This is the most interesting "kit car" idea I've seen in a long time.

Check out the intake setup on the orignial: Pretty cool.

Are they running two small fiat radiators? From the venting in the nose I thought it had a single big radiator up there.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/14/14 8:29 p.m.

Boy, this thread really deviated from the original topic, didn't it?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/14/14 8:33 p.m.
D2W wrote: Between those two I would take the boxster in a heartbeat. The 818 was a total styling disappointment. And after the "Design" contest turned out to be little more than a virtually free add campaign my opinion of Factory Five has changed. If I want to build a car I'll buy an Exocet, or some old project car.

Even though I love the 818 concept, I'll have to agree that the contest-winning sketch was better than the final product. Can't quite understand why they didn't use it.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/14/14 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Mblommel:

I do have the molds for the tub and dash.

I've been looking for pictures of the frame or blueprints but haven't found any yet.

I'm not planning to build an accurate replica. I love the looks and am looking to do a quality frame and use a readily available drivetrain and suspension. (love the original wheels though)

I've wondered about the radiators too. I don't know why there would be the front opening and the twin intakes that are outboard of the cockpit. I have found pictures of the car with out the front radiator opening.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/14 7:24 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: In reply to Mblommel: I do have the molds for the tub and dash. I've been looking for pictures of the frame or blueprints but haven't found any yet. I'm not planning to build an accurate replica. I love the looks and am looking to do a quality frame and use a readily available drivetrain and suspension. (love the original wheels though) I've wondered about the radiators too. I don't know why there would be the front opening and the twin intakes that are outboard of the cockpit. I have found pictures of the car with out the front radiator opening.

That's great news. The only other thing needed then is the molded plexi windscreens.

Yeah, building it with parts you can actually buy does make sense. Looking at the engine bay it seems that even though it was originally a longitudinal setup a modern FWD transverse setup would fit pretty well and could give some added clearance up by the firewall. MR2 4age/C52 comes to mind as an easy choice as it's already setup for forward shifter. Oooorrrr, Abarth 1.4T from a wrecked 500; how cool would that be?

I'm going to have to start saving my pennies.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/15/14 7:51 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: I've wondered about the radiators too. I don't know why there would be the front opening and the twin intakes that are outboard of the cockpit. I have found pictures of the car with out the front radiator opening.

I see twin radiators in two of those pics - with small yellow fans behind them.

It was common in race cars of that era to have oil coolers in the nose openings. With modern oils this might not be necessary today.

So... $5K for the body... $3K for the diff/rear brakes... probably another $3-4K for the chassis... who knows how much for the engine ($1K?). At least another couple thou for misc stuff... So with some luck, a completed car might be built for under $15K, but probably closer to $20K. Hmm...

Any thoughts on the windshield and side windows? Oh... also, it'll need a wiper to be registered in some states (like PA).

Lastly, any chance you could have a prototype ready (even if not drivable) by May for the Carlisle Import & Kit Car show? It would be awesome to see this next to the Galek display in the Kit Car Pavilion.

BTW - the name "stingercars_dot_com" is available.

Yes... this thread really went off topic... But this is such an exciting project. maybe start a build thread and see if a mod can move relevant posts over?

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/15/14 9:39 a.m.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am going to start a thread in the build section now.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/15/14 10:23 a.m.

back to the original purpose.. I'd have a Boxster.

kulddy
kulddy None
12/2/14 6:47 p.m.

Quaife make a chain drive diff. w/reverser unit, they also have all the stuff to complete any of your other suggestions. Oh and they are bulletproof helical torque distribution diffs. They are used extensively in Hillclimb mono and bi seat cars. their gears and parts are expensive but you will only have to buy them once.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/14 7:16 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Any thoughts on the windshield and side windows? Oh... also, it'll need a wiper to be registered in some states (like PA)

I've seen a Can Am styled car using those little headlight wipers for windshield wipers.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6eYLeuWsXVVYzpypw2L3YRZ5TkFeFmk3nuRLYefLHVkKUCqXqI9SqnBtAF27dTK8