1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/8/16 11:41 a.m.

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has an 87 Iroc-Z that he's owned off and on for a long time. He's owned it this particular time for maybe the past 6-7 years. He has gone through the entire thing this time, but it's not completed just yet. Engine is a 383 stroker with trick flow aluminum heads, Accel Super Ram intake with stand alone computer, Richmond 6-speed, Muflex 4" exhaust, Y-pipe dual 3" into single 4", brand new refurbished wheels, and tires, all new weather striping, and interior parts. Super clean t-top body. Looking to sell it with a brand new open deack 16' car trailer. Needs cash to pay for surgery for his dog. I have no idea about these cars, but it seems like a great deal as the cost of the trailer alone is probably close to the asking price. Worthy car? Crazy idea for a car I don't need, but see potential for a good deal? Grow back my mullet, and rock the Iroc? Seems the intake, and trans alone are worth a bunch of money.

Input, please..

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
7/8/16 11:45 a.m.

Certainly worth something. It sounds like a really cool car.

Trailer is easily $1500-$2000 alone. In fair condition that car sounds like $5500-$6000. So... $7-$8k for the total package would be my guess for a total value.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/8/16 1:45 p.m.

I'd be a bit leary of a high-torque engine in a T-Top car. Those cars are notoriously flexy anyways. Adding a roll-bar, or cage (if it's a track car) would fix it up.

Look for cracking and signs of stress on the roof. Otherwise--- cool car.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/8/16 2:00 p.m.

BUY IT!!!! If it were cheap, sans drivetrain, I would be all over it myself.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
7/8/16 2:59 p.m.

My friend had a firebird that popped the t-top when he hooked it. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I think third gens are going to start appreciating as the 30-45yo have money to buy what they wanted when they were younger. We've seen the same thing happen with all the previous generations.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/16 3:02 p.m.

Worthless. Better give it to me to dispose of

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/16 3:49 p.m.

I'm not a fan. Fortunately he has overcome the wheeze factor of the factory 215hp slug, but its still a wet-noodle car with a 7.5" rear. If that 383 hooks up, I promise you it will either shatter a t-top or blow the differential right out the cover.

If I owned it, I would honestly pull the 383 for a worthier body and sell the F-body to someone who loves them.

Can you tell I really dislike F-bodies? Maybe I'm not an objective commentator on this one.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
7/8/16 3:51 p.m.

No experience with a 3rd gen but i do know a t-top foxbody will bend if you deadhook with a 200hp turbo 4. Would never own another t-top car if the plans were anything other then stock cruising or full blown cage.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/9/16 9:17 a.m.

Sounds like a fun driver, that just needs a drop in rear end (Strange, for example, ready to bolt in with brakes) and some frame reinforcements.

He spent alot of time and money on the car already.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/9/16 9:26 a.m.

Here's a picture of said car on said trailer:

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
7/9/16 9:33 a.m.

Looks very good

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/16 9:39 a.m.

asking?

because if it's really slightly more than the trailer value it's a steal. the transmission is a $$$ piece, the last superram intake i sold i got $1200 for, and the car looks clean.

i'd get weld in frame connectors and a bolt in 9" and go play.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
7/9/16 10:39 a.m.

I would say that the car is probably worth around $4-6K, trailer around $1500-2K, but you should get subframe connectors, maybe two sets if you don't want to go with a 4pt rollbar. If you like it enough to keep it for a while, ditch the solid rear axle for a C4 Dana 44 independent rear suspension.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/9/16 11:03 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I would say that the car is probably worth around $4-6K, trailer around $1500-2K, but you should get subframe connectors, maybe two sets if you don't want to go with a 4pt rollbar. If you like it enough to keep it for a while, ditch the solid rear axle for a C4 Dana 44 independent rear suspension.

So in your opinion I'm buying the car for around the low end of what it's worth, and getting a free brand new trailer?

patgizz
7/9/16 11:32 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I would say that the car is probably worth around $4-6K, trailer around $1500-2K, but you should get subframe connectors, maybe two sets if you don't want to go with a 4pt rollbar. If you like it enough to keep it for a while, ditch the solid rear axle for a C4 Dana 44 independent rear suspension.
So in your opinion I'm buying the car for around the low end of what it's worth, and getting a free brand new trailer?

that's about right.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/16 1:23 p.m.

You had me at Richmond 6 speed.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/9/16 1:24 p.m.

Is that something special? I literally know nothing about these cars or Chevrolets in general.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/9/16 1:38 p.m.

This has all been very vague so far about the actual number the guy wants, but if it's 4k i'd say it's a good deal even for someone who doesn't want the car, and you should be able to make money after a little effort.

Having said that, it's a little depressing to think someone would be willing to sell that for 4k because in spite of being able to drop 10k over time they can't come up with a few grand any quicker than that car would sell? Eyebrow raised in sadness.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/9/16 1:55 p.m.

That's awesome. I'd love to have a clean iroc. Too bad about his dog though.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
7/9/16 2:21 p.m.

Sounds like a good,car for a good price, with a trailer thrown on for free.

I'd get it, stiffen the body, put in a stronger rear end, and drive it like you stole it.. you could get the money for the rear end and subframe connectors by selling the trailer..

Also, there is no need to grow a mullet or any of those silly online stereotypes.. just drive the damn thing..

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/9/16 2:54 p.m.

It is sad and I feel terrible that he has to sell it. I wish I could just loan him the money. He says he has close to $15k in the motor and transmission alone. I can believe it considering the price I just found online for the transmission itself.

He could make a bunch more money parting it out himself, but I don't know that he wants to. Also the car is on an island. Probably doesn't make sense to own such a car in a place like that.

Chris

patgizz
7/9/16 4:32 p.m.

Guess im not that attached to my dog

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/10/16 12:44 a.m.

Wonder if just selling the engine would be enough to fix the dog?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/10/16 1:04 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Wonder if just selling the engine would be enough to fix the dog?

Apparently he's already paid for the dogs knee surgery and borrowed the money for the procedure. Needs to pay it back. I would think selling the transmission may net him enough money. To be honest I think I'd rather buy his 99 2500 suburban, but he didn't offer that up. Of course I'm not sure I really want the gas mileage of a 454 equipped suburban with a 4.10 rear axle.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/16 8:01 a.m.

I always liked those. Sort of like unicorns now. They were Everywhere until about 10 or so years ago. The trailer park Wal Mart set has switched to the SN95 Mustang as their ride of choice. But I'm old enough to remember when E Body Mopars were a common site.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nip6u7PxV2FnhnKrWGvDhJeXzFy7O9D5J9qAcnjYYMpRt8gcHKSlUSQtmauBf82i