1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/13 3:39 p.m.

In reply to maj75:

How about an FC RX-7 then? It'll be lower cost than the 951, especially if you go n/a, but it's still fast and handles well. Bonus for an s5 hardtop GTUs.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/9/13 3:45 p.m.
maj75 wrote: They weigh a bloody ton

Except they are only a couple hundred lbs more then Corvette and they are a few hundred pounds lighter then a goat.

I mean the GTO and 'Vette both will have fairly expensive consumables in that they will eat up brakes and tires. Also as mentioned the 'Vette can eat barings. So I was trying to think of alternates that would fit in your budget.

Others IS300? FC RX7? RX8? Of coarse the already mention E36 M3? MR2 Turbo? Mustang? Firebird? 240SX?

The problem I see with an E21 is that they are fairly long in the tooth so be prepared to do a lot of work to get them to decent shape to use on a track. If you are willing to do that kinda work, what about a TR7 or TR8 or X1/9?

Javelin
10/9/13 4:02 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Oooh, RX-8 is a very, very good point.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/9/13 4:44 p.m.

No experience with rotaries, but my research says they can be delicate. I'd do a FD Rx7 (w/LS1 swap) but they are above by acquisition budget, even without the V8. Not a fan of the Rx8 styling enough to risk it. There must be a reason that the FD is worth more than the Rx8...

No 4 doors.

Had a Triumph back in the day. They personified unreliability back then (Prince of Darkness, anyone?). I wouldn't pay $3500 for a crapbox and dump $7K into rust repair and complete drivetrain restoration, before getting into the track stuff. Not to mention having a car that's still worth $3500.

Mr2 Turbo is a nice car, but I'm trying to stay away from forced induction on the track. If I wanted to go that route, I should probable just start molesting my 944 Turbo. It's really too nice to mess with and I have been threatened with bodily harm if I mess it up.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/9/13 4:48 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
maj75 wrote: They weigh a bloody ton
The problem I see with an E21 is that they are fairly long in the tooth so be prepared to do a lot of work to get them to decent shape to use on a track. If you are willing to do that kinda work, what about a TR7 or TR8 or X1/9?

The thing that draws me to the E21 is that it is about a basic as a hammer. Strip the fuel injection, bolt on some side-draft carbs, a cam and headers. Replace all the control arms and bushings (dirt cheap). I wake up at night dreaming of a Group 5 E21 with the box fenders and wing

Javelin
10/9/13 4:51 p.m.

In reply to maj75:

My FB RX-7 with the "less" reliable 12A had over 230K miles when I bought it. It then won an SCCA Regional Championship, had over 250 autocross runs, and was sold to be turned into an IT7 car. The new owner won in a deep field at PIR while rolling over 250K.

Rotaries are plently reliable, especially on a track. It's people that DD them gingerly and do a bunch of cold starts and never ring them out that break them.

Also, styling on a track car? Really? And the RX-8 (while no FD for sure granted) isn't a bad looker with some mods:

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/9/13 4:55 p.m.

What Rx8?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
10/9/13 4:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to maj75: ...And the RX-8 (while no FD for sure granted) isn't a bad looker with some mods:

Mods? Around here we calls them "girls"

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/9/13 5:05 p.m.

In reply to maj75:

N/A rotaries are generally pretty reliable. It is boosted ones that blow up. What about the 'Stang or 240SX (although finding a decent 240 is difficult now)?

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/9/13 5:12 p.m.

I may have a look at the Rx8. Pettit Racing is pretty close. Interesting that they only have FDRx7s for sale.

I bought a new '90 Mustang GT. Highway drove it over 150K miles and sold it to somebody who kept driving it for years. I would not consider stock handling anywhere near the Vette or 944. I know that you can spend your way to some adequate handling. If I went that route, it would have to be with the 5.0 motor which means '94 or earlier IIRC. Hard to find a nice example anymore. Problem I see with the Fox body mustang is that the cars don't seem to be worth any more after you dump a ton of money into them.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/9/13 5:19 p.m.

A quick glance at Craigslist shows a ton of 2004-05 Rx8s in my budget, in SoFla A fair percent are 6-speeds, too!

What should I BOLO for?

Any particular issues, years or packages that are preferred?

Off to wiki ;)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
10/9/13 5:32 p.m.

All the 04-05 RX-8s need is some tires, pads, and some new or BHR coils. Then you're good to go. I approve of this decision. My brother loves his. I also fell in love with the RX-8 after the first drive. I just don't love the gas mileage.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/13 5:49 p.m.

I <3 me some RX8. In fact, I'm planning to get one whenever I'm tired of the Miata as the "track shed with some road use".

Javelin
10/9/13 5:50 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to maj75: ...And the RX-8 (while no FD for sure granted) isn't a bad looker with some mods:

"Bolt ons"

tooms351
tooms351 New Reader
10/9/13 7:37 p.m.

Hey maj, drop a v8 in that 951, you'll have one of the fastest cars right from the start! An LSD some poly bronze bushings, race pads, sticky tires and that car will be streetable and hard to catch at Sebring! Go LSx for the sleeper effect.

plance1
plance1 Dork
10/9/13 8:22 p.m.

This is a great post. I have lately been comparing C4's with SS camaros. I wouldn't consider a GTO because I don't like the way they look....

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
10/9/13 8:53 p.m.

Ok, I vote for the E21 (surprise). Probably not that fast even with with side drafts/cam, etc., but lots of guys have thrown M42's in them, and I think you can upgrade cams/chip etc. They say a six cylinder subframe is needed for that swap, but not sure the difference from the 4cyl unit. Some M20 variant would certainly be an easier power upgrade. Jester something or other in the e21 section on bimmerforums has urethane suspension stuff (needed) already made. JRCook on same website (he's on here too I think) has a Kjet turbo that he's got about 250hp on, so there's that.

Ok, now everyone can laugh at the E21 guy...

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/10/13 6:59 a.m.
LuxInterior wrote:

They run a local bikini enthusiast forum and all three of them are moderators on it.

(Just kidding .. but I do think you meant "women." ;-)

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
10/10/13 8:50 a.m.

While I agree that's a really nice 951 to take on the track, there's literally NO other car that's cheaper to track prep than a 951.

Drop in a set of track based brake pads, slap on a set of Toyo RA1's and you're done.

Seriously, brake pads and tires and that thing will run all day long and embarass far newer and expensive machinary. You'll spend FAR more tack prepping a GTO...

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/10/13 4:34 p.m.

Some days the sun shines just right...

Sold the 944, check.

Drive friends track prepped M3 while FRS is in his shop, check.

Go home and fire up Craigslist, check.

What do I see? New post for a 1995 M3 coupe, white on black, 5 speed, 115,000 miles, 20 minutes away!

Work out deal for M3, put $7K back into bank from sale of Porsche

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
10/10/13 4:48 p.m.

Ah well glad to see that all got worked out! M3 is a good track car. Pics when you get it home!

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/10/13 10:05 p.m.

Was on the way to look at a '87 325is when my M3 friend called. I had just complained to him that I couldn't find a M3 coupe locally. He went on Craiglist and saw the add.

He insisted that I skip the 325is and check out the M3. The rest is history.

Car is in nice shape with the following issues:

Cracked windshield, missing headlights, missing driver's interior door panel. Spoiler holes in trunk. Needs a bath desperately. Will try to get pics up when presentable.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/11/13 5:07 a.m.

ugh, no GTO they are a street car

M3 was a good choice

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/11/13 7:19 a.m.

Wow, I was going to jump in to support the L98 Vette, I love driving those cars, even with an auto. At 6' and 220lb's I fit fine even with a helmet. Plenty of room for tires.

Then the thread went down the Rx8 rabbit hole. Another great cars, I would have bought a new one as a DD, except I just couldn't live with god aweful gas mileage, but that wouldn't matter for a toy/track car.

But then I see you're all sorted with an E36 M3 plus cash back in the bank, so anything I have to say is a waste of time. Enjoy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JsRy2zQeVX1uBMMtiLody3dtufLIaLFZbmSwyrvyGHPzsipPYBtV1G4Lbnxw6mXJ