pres589
pres589 HalfDork
3/17/11 2:44 p.m.

In brief, I'm getting some run-around on a local CL ad for one of these cars, a '94 with the V8 & a manual trans. It needs some nitpicky work (driver's window, bit of interior stuff to do, etc) and has higher mileage. $2700 firm.

Let's say I let this thing slide (I may not have a choice in the matter, seller is mumbling about some other guy that will be there to see it today before me), what's a good way to find one of these cars for a decent price, where are they? I would assume the Dallas CL would be a good place to start, and Dallas is 6 hour's drive from my home in Wichita. What should one pay for these? I'm not looking for a track car, just a decent convertible with good aftermarket support and a manual trans. I don't like the driving position of Camaro's. I've also considered early Saab 9-3's.

If someone has a line on one I'd be curious to hear about it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/17/11 3:00 p.m.

Usually when I'm looking for Mustangs, all I can find is convertibles, but that might be due to living in California.

Though, if you're willing to travel, finding a California car that won't pass smog would be a heck of a way to get a deal.

When you do pick yours up, I cannot emphasize enough how much these cars need subframe connectors.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
3/17/11 3:15 p.m.

The thing about traveling that far is, it would have to be a flight & drive back deal, which would be okay but there's logistics, cost, and fear of the car not being as advertised or sold out from under me.

And I already know about the subframe connectors.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/11 3:32 p.m.

Chassis rigidity of a block of tofu. That said, the fly-and-drive works great if there's someone you trust with eyes on the car.

Market seems to be about $3K retail up here for the convertible, though I've seen good ones down to $1800. Honestly I'd shop in cold/rainy places rather than sunny/warm places.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wRGzaOb5vlj0fshBjKJiEuhBTT9YKxMRWFt0lY5ghWigdtfY9dSEeFKjq6h5EJkB