1 2 3 4
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/9/12 4:52 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I'll chin up when you come change my clutch!

berkeley a bunch of that! I hate wrenching!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/12 5:16 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Definately cheaper than a Miata though.

I really don't know what the eff your problem is, but you need to pull whatever stick out of wherever it got shoved. You either have PMS or are bi-polar and it's getting berkeleying old, quick.

And for the record, yeah, even with a clutch change this pig is still cheaper than my Miata was. That POS needed a second clutch after the stupid fork broke in half. Don't forget having to buy an entire second head to get that ridiculously expensive CAS, either.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/9/12 7:33 p.m.

d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/12 7:46 p.m.

I pull the motor for clutch jobs in 944s 951s I pull the trans and move the tt back.

Javelin
5/9/12 8:14 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

That was my original plan for this off season or during the 8 week break. I wanted to pull the motor and do the t-belt again, do all of the seals, rod bearings, and the clutch. If I can bum a co-drive I may just do that anyway.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/12 10:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
I really don't know what the eff your problem is, but you need to pull whatever stick out of wherever it got shoved. You either have PMS or are bi-polar and it's getting berkeleying old, quick.

two things happen when you rassle a pig. you get muddy, and the pig gets happy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/10/12 8:41 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
I really don't know what the eff your problem is, but you need to pull whatever stick out of wherever it got shoved. You either have PMS or are bi-polar and it's getting berkeleying old, quick. And for the record, yeah, even with a clutch change this pig is still cheaper than my Miata was. That POS needed a second clutch after the stupid fork broke in half. Don't forget having to buy an entire second head to get that ridiculously expensive CAS, either.

You done? Got your panties a little wadded there sweetie. Breathe in.... breathe out. Relax.

Javelin
5/10/12 8:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: two things happen when you rassle a pig. you get muddy, and the pig gets happy.

Sage advice, friend. It's better to ignore the squealing and miss an occasional useful tidbit about a C4 than it would be to put up with all the slop. He obviously ignored the staff's warnings so my actions aren't going to get through, either.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/10/12 9:33 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: two things happen when you rassle a pig. you get muddy, and the pig gets happy.
Sage advice, friend. It's better to ignore the squealing and miss an occasional useful tidbit about a C4 than it would be to put up with all the slop. He obviously ignored the staff's warnings so my actions aren't going to get through, either.

I find it interesting you automatically ASSumed I was slamming you. Did you not say it was cheaper than the Miata? Did I not just remind you of that? Breathe in..... Breathe out...... RELAX.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/10/12 10:09 a.m.

Javelin, have you decided what you are going to do yet with the 944 (after you presumably do Bob's breathing exercises)?

Javelin
5/10/12 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

Well Mrs. Javelin drove it to yoga last night and I drove it to work. It's not like the clutch is gone, it just feels like it's starting to lose it's grip at WOT. It would probably last another 25K of normal use, but with dual-driver autocrosses (and we average 8 runs each driver per event with the PCA) it won't make it, is what I fear. I think we'll be okay for this week. If I can nurse it through next month's as well, that puts me at the 8-week break. Guess I'm just venting and parts-shopping, really.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/10/12 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I just looked at it in Readers' Rides. It is a great looking car.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/10/12 11:24 a.m.

It's an old car! I've literally replaced almost every mechanical part on my 948. Every single one.

Javelin
5/10/12 1:00 p.m.

In reply to docwyte:

My list so far (at 228,109 miles): Fuel filter, fuel injectors rebuilt & new o-rings, air filter, throttle cam, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil & filter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, transaxle fluid, front lower ball joints, tires, shifter handle and bushings, steering wheel, front seats, rear hatch struts, and some bulbs. I have some parts still to go (bought parts, haven't installed): rear shocks, wiper motor, drivers door swing, and headlights (upgrade).

I have all the receipts as well, and it's always been well looked after. It sounds like a lot of parts, but when you realize how many miles the thing has it's not that crazy. The RX-7 was similar (with similar miles) and the Miata was as well (with half as many miles ).

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/10/12 1:33 p.m.

Ok, here we go. Realize I replaced the motor with the LS1 and all the accessories that go with it, so the below is in addition to that...

New rack, new tie rods, new radiator, new LS AC compressor, new clutch, new shift fork, new shift rod, new shift bushings, headlight relay harness, new tires, new front calipers, new front brake rotors, new front brake lines, new pads all round, flush brakes, flush tranny, new rear torsion bars, new door handles and linkages, new instrument cluster bulbs and fixed the light tunnels, new steering wheel, disconnected passenger side airbag and wired past the airbag controller, new gauges, new LS O2 sensors, wired past front microswitch for the sunroof, new fuel hoses, new fuel filter, new Hi Po fuel pump, corner weight and balance, alignment.

In a perfect world I'd repaint the entire car...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/10/12 1:46 p.m.

You guys are making me happy I sold my 944. I was at the point where I needed to start fixing everything or sell it while it was still in decent running condition.

Javelin
5/10/12 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

You are confusing "944" with "26-year old 228K mile car".

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/10/12 2:42 p.m.

You're confusing 944 with an LS swapped 951 track car....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/12 4:47 p.m.

Welcome to the love hate relationship of Porsche Ownership.

Something in the drive line in my 924s decided to come apart last Thursday. It did this with a crunching sound followed by the sound of metal bits bouncing around in a cast aluminum housing. It then had no gears at all. (see my other thread about this)

I think it was mad at me because I had been driving the mustang the week before. I wonder if I talk dirty to it if it would miraculously fix its self. May be bribe it with a new set of RA1's

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/12 4:57 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: $600 for an OEM clutch kit and it's not a turbo? You just cured me of 944 want, thanks!

Don't get an LS1 powered anything.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/10/12 5:00 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: $600 for an OEM clutch kit and it's not a turbo? You just cured me of 944 want, thanks!
Don't get an LS1 powered anything.

I'm getting deja vu here... but i'm going to look into my crystal ball and hypothesize that LS1 stuff is about.... $300 cheaper.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/12 7:39 p.m.

Well, maybe.

I remember doing a clutch in an LS1 Firebird (pull style clutch) and being shocked that the clutch alone was $900.

For some reason I thought the Corvettes had smaller flywheels and clutches for drivetrain clearance reasons. Guess not. We always put twin disk style clutches in those, anyway, so my memory can be forgiven for being off

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
5/22/12 12:55 p.m.

So Javelin - what's the word? You going to come to the darkside? Clutches are a pain to replace regardless of it being Porsche or GM. What's going to hurt your schedule is frozen/rusty hardware. I had to cut my rear control arms off in order to remove the bolts. Good luck!

Javelin
5/22/12 1:14 p.m.

In reply to skywalker01:

I made another thread for the conclusion, sorry! It turned out to be a slave cylinder that had a torn boot, allowing water to collect in the bore, rusting it. I replaced the slave cylinder and then the pig wouldn't bleed because the "engineers" decided to run the hydraulic fluid from the brake reservoir, which is fine, but they ran it from the top. So I plugged that, cut the hose, and connected in a dedicated reservoir for the clutch (using a clutch fluid reservoir from an 88 TBird Turbo Coupe that's been in my shed for 6 years). Voila! Autocrossed it Sunday, won my class, drove it home (it's a 50 mile each-way trip to the AX).

Clutch is A-OK.

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
5/22/12 1:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Clutch is A-OK.

Glad to hear it! Wouldn't have been bad to get another 'convert' added to the ranks Good luck at your future events.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mcyuzt4gh4g5YWEMNhLmBAVkrogwXgDV90McjLetu0agjHHRsEnxNxnklClNJO50