westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
1/29/10 9:49 a.m.

My car is a 95 civic coupe, Ive seen 96-98 front end converts to 99-00 rather easy(hood,lights, fenders, bumper,grill) but how hard is it for 92-95 to convert to 96+ front end style ? Radiator support change/cutting? I have a line on a rather cheap swap. Thanks

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
1/29/10 11:18 a.m.

The 96-98 converting to a 99-00 is not a big deal as the body is the same from 96 through 00. Yes, the headlights and the grille are slightly different, so maybe the hood is too, but it is the automotive equivalent of changing your socks.

The 92 through 95 Civic is similar LOOKING, but vastly different from the 96.

What I've seen someone here do is swap the front sheet metal from a 90 through 93 Integra onto a 92 through 95 Civic. It's not a prefect match-up, but very close, and MUCH closer than the 96 front onto a 95 Civic. Add in the fact that the Integra for 90-93 is VERY similar underneath to the 92-95 Civic....well, I wouldn't be surprized is the sheetmetal had all the bolt holes line up.

BTW, I've owned an 89, 92, and 97 Civic....and the 97 is the ugliest of the three. I can't stand those huge/bug-eyed looking headlights.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/29/10 2:08 p.m.
integraguy wrote: BTW, I've owned an 89, 92, and 97 Civic....and the 97 is the ugliest of the three. I can't stand those huge/bug-eyed looking headlights.

Amen. While I like a well prepped EK, those headlights where the beginning of the end for Civics.

pres589
pres589 Reader
1/29/10 2:19 p.m.

There are alternatives to the stock headlights that are much darker and more interesting looking if they're that much of an issue on the EK.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
1/29/10 2:21 p.m.

Oops, I went back and re-read my first post and realized I was a bit off on my comments. Integras for the 90-93 models are VERY similar to 88-91 Civics....sorry. And Integras from the 94-00 models are VERY similar to 92-95 Civics. Though I still think it MAY have been a 92 Civic with a 90 Integra front clip on it that I have seen....guess it COULD have been a 88-91 Civic, tho.

BTW, supposedly, the headlights on 96-00 Civi8cs were enlarged due to feedback from "customer focus groups" prior to the models release. The big "dummy" grille was added for the same reason.

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/29/10 4:23 p.m.

Go JDM swap yO!

Actually, I'm serious on this one. EG civics had a SiR version in Japan that was HAWT! Gotta replace the core support, a little welding, and some fiddly bits as Edd China would say, but shouldn't be too tough. Biggest headache would probably be finding clean parts - not sure any of the importers still stock these of can even get them at a GRM friendly price point.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
1/29/10 10:25 p.m.
abumason wrote: Go JDM swap yO! Actually, I'm serious on this one. EG civics had a SiR version in Japan that was HAWT! Gotta replace the core support, a little welding, and some fiddly bits as Edd China would say, but shouldn't be too tough. Biggest headache would probably be finding clean parts - not sure any of the importers still stock these of can even get them at a GRM friendly price point.

If we're talking about the front end bodywork/headlights, the EG SiR wasn't any different than the other 92-95 civics sold here. They only had minor differences like front fender side markers.

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/29/10 10:47 p.m.

Really?!?

It has been a few years... Maybe my memory is of some aftermarket bodykit.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 10:15 a.m.
abumason wrote: Really?!? It has been a few years... Maybe my memory is of some aftermarket bodykit.

I think you're talking about the EF chassis cars. There were more differences there. Not much difference at all with the EG, and there was a bit more difference with the EK. (Nifty bumpers, y0)

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/30/10 10:21 a.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

Yep, EF is what I was thinking. I had a friend of a friend do the swap in the summer of '94 in his garage on Ft Ord, and helped a bit - if you call standing around nursing a hangover and making smartass comments helping - you can see why my recollection is a bit hazy.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/30/10 12:34 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
integraguy wrote: BTW, I've owned an 89, 92, and 97 Civic....and the 97 is the ugliest of the three. I can't stand those huge/bug-eyed looking headlights.
Amen. While I like a well prepped EK, those headlights where the beginning of the end for Civics.

99-00 EK hatch is my favorite Civic style--it'll be my next purchase after owning a 94 coupe, 92 hatch, 95 hatch (current beater) and 99 Si coupe (which I might never get rid of).

However, I think the EG hatch is a really nice design--it's a car that looks killer with just a drop and some nice 15" or 16" wheels. I think the bigger proportions of the EK front end would really throw it off--but that's just my opinion. To each his own...

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/30/10 1:00 p.m.

Yeah, its really not that hard to switch the sheet metal over, provided you have a welder and a 5 gallon bucket of bondo.

But why would you want to? Why not just get a 96-98 civic? I mean they are cheaper to get then the 92-95 civics?

What would the point be of doing the swap? Just for the point of it of what?

Andrew

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h6vrNrUQqH1PyRhgXdNze5iKASGAtua3d9WhNIBPbnbTBA5CFCVITaxCfYrswDPG