carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/19/12 5:15 a.m.

A friend just bought a 96 Miata with a supercharger on it. He's had it for 2 days now so of course we want to modify it.

He's found an intercooler but in looking at the wiring hook up it doesn't seem to match what we see at Moss Motors.

We can't find the OBD port. Where is it and is the car OBD I or OBD II?

It's build date is late 1995.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
4/19/12 6:06 a.m.

OBDII - They switched over in '95 for MY96.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/19/12 6:08 a.m.

Where's the OBD port in this car?

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
4/19/12 7:10 a.m.

The port is supposed to be right above your right shin while you're driving, but the bracket breaks easily and the long wires allow it to get stuffed behind the radio or somewhere up there. Do the gymnastics and look along the trans tunnel.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/12 8:23 a.m.

Some of the 96 models have the port in an odd place. It'll be under the dash by the column, probably on the right side.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/19/12 8:25 a.m.

Why would an intercooler need a wiring hookup?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
4/19/12 8:31 a.m.

OBDII but there's some flex with emissions thanks to the first generation OBDII cars having a lot of inconsistencies.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/19/12 9:14 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Why would an intercooler need a wiring hookup?

It doesn't, but the supercharger has an OBD I hook up and there's an early fuel pressure regulator rather than the hook up Moss says should be on the 96 so we wondered if this was OBD I rather than II which would change some of the things we were considering doing when it comes to upping the boost on the SC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
geugqf0rz8st88vhpARD7vVZiSN6P0Nk8CJuux9ydmQMAaXKqkDh4jTRyUDFc2JV