carbon
carbon Dork
2/16/15 10:24 a.m.

As many of you know, I'm a shop teacher, and we had a customer car come in the other day that has me a little stumped. It's a 98 blazer that we did a fuel pump in. During this procedure, one of my students replaced the fuel filter, in doing so, he tore the o-ring on the quick disconnect side and now I can't for love or money find an o-ring that will keep it from pouring gas. Chevy parts dept says no prong without buying the line. What say you grm? This thing has been stinkin up my shop for too long!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/15 10:30 a.m.

plastic or steel line? Some one, possibly OTC, makes repair ends for this stuff.

plan "B", junkyard. Seems silly but if thats what is takes to find the right one....(get spares while you are there!)

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/16/15 10:33 a.m.

These will work. Most big box stores should have them in their "help" section.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/16/15 10:48 a.m.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.

It's a steel line with plastic quick disconnect end on the rail side of the filter.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/15 4:44 p.m.

They are just standard O-rings. You should be able to match something up.

Barring that, I've cannibalized new quick disconnects to put new O-rings in an old one.

Note that there are TWO O-rings, a spacer between each, and a retainer on the outer one. If all that is missing and you only have one O-ring... it's gonna leak.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/16/15 6:04 p.m.

What!??? There are TWO!!!??????

Well there's a problem!

Sometimes these kids are so eager to tear into these cars that I can miss the minutia when they're coming apart.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/15 9:10 p.m.

Yep... very common for the fuel filter to rust to the retainer and pull the whole mess apart. If you can't find the retainer and spacer, might want to just see about replacing the end.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/16/15 9:52 p.m.

Those things are such a pain in the ass I'd be tempted to modify it to take a clamp in filter (with short connecting hoses) like a lot of not american cars used if I ever owned one again. I know you can get barbs meant to press into those nylon hardlines.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/16/15 9:57 p.m.

Yup, if this thing berks with me much more, I'm going to flare that e36m3 and be done with it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MHpRpm7MF4db0SwthtLpEXUMQqUwSVC40uAt2Vdn6VbPNbiAiRqsI1kQAQLnXfae