cones36
cones36 New Reader
2/28/21 1:23 p.m.

After a few years of beating my daily, I am looking to build a dedicated autocross/HPDE/weekend toy that can be driven to the track. I've bounced around between different ideas: I like the Toyburu 86 but feel somewhat limited by the power and don't love the look.I thought about the C5 or C6 Vette but I just can't seem to feel comfortable with the dimensions and ergonomics of the car. I like small, nimble cars. Yes, I know Miata is Always the Answer, but now the prospect of a 987.1 Cayman has worked its way into my head. From what I've seen, the base is more reliable than the S.

Before I convince someone to let me test drive one, I'd like to solicit some opinions. What is the GRM view on these? I like the power, size, weight, and mid-engine layout. Plus, they're just beautiful cars. Lack of LSD makes me a little wary. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/28/21 1:47 p.m.

The "S" is totally worth the extra money.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
2/28/21 1:58 p.m.

Coming from someone who has owned one and tracked it a bunch.  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/die-welt-ist-flach-my-porsche-cayman-adventures/145367/page1/

If you want to do 8/10ths laps on 300 treadwear Michelins, the 987.1 base is great.  If you want to do 10/10ths laps, fit r-compound tires, or run time trials; it gets really expensive quickly and you should buy a 981 instead.

They're great fun to autocross, though my base isn't really faster than an ND or an 86 though.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
2/28/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Fully agree.

The magic of mid engine cars is they do most of the LSD work on their own. My 981S barely misses it and really only on an autocross (it technically has a factory option lsd but it's worn out by now). On track with less power chances are you won't ever notice it's not there.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/28/21 4:50 p.m.

Not sure I could stomach the Pcar tax (car, parts, maintenance, etc) for a car on pace with an e46 m3 5 or 7 years older....

Get a boxster or a BMW IMO. Caymans look to be serious money to build/buy built.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/28/21 5:59 p.m.

If you are used to an 86, the base Cayman will be a nice upgrade.

If driven both the base model and the Cayman S on track and they're both beautifuly balanced. 

I would simply shop for the best Cayman you can buy that is in your budget range........regardless whether its a base or an S model.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/21 8:11 p.m.

A lightened flywheel wakes them up nicely. 

cones36
cones36 New Reader
2/28/21 8:18 p.m.

Thanks, everyone. For those suggesting the S: I thought they were a riskier option because they were more susceptible to bore scoring. I thought the base (2.7) was a safer route. Is this not the case? 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
2/28/21 10:48 p.m.
cones36 said:

Thanks, everyone. For those suggesting the S: I thought they were a riskier option because they were more susceptible to bore scoring. I thought the base (2.7) was a safer route. Is this not the case? 

They are riskier with regards to bore scoring, yes.  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/1/21 6:08 a.m.

I don't know much about autocross but I wouldn't trust 987.1 to track duty with an experienced driver without a lot of work to make reliable. 987.2 and after have the much more reliable engine. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/1/21 9:01 a.m.

Every time I get tempted, which is usually every few months, I talk myself back into waiting until I can afford a 987.2 or a 981.  The M9x engines scare me, unless we're talking about a $10-12k car you can afford to walk away from. 

They are blow-uppity on track if you exploit the handling limits, which you'll want to do because they're fantastic cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q6sX0VGfnYwarAJYoT6MGeTT6dZLWlyexMExnnioKnOuTqlJEn9i1LPRrWSCX6kJ