ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
10/29/13 8:49 p.m.

I do love the low mile 1999 Tahoe (TowAHo) that is our new house truck. But the suspension ,steering feel and brakers are made of marshmallows. Why? How to fix?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/29/13 9:10 p.m.

ClifFord has no rear shocks at all.

Something to do with having 19 leaves.

Heavier duty springs and shocks will fix a lot of the issues. Check the steering linkages are in good shape

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/13 9:22 p.m.

An upgraded rear sway bar and Bilstein HD shocks would be a good start.

Brian
Brian SuperDork
10/29/13 9:48 p.m.
ls1fiero wrote: I do love the low mile 1999 Tahoe (TowAHo) that is our new house truck. But the suspension ,steering feel and brakers are made of marshmallows. Why? How to fix?

its a 99 with probably mostly original parts, its time to change them for new tighter parts. I'd start with an inspection of all the steering linkages then some good shocks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
10/29/13 9:52 p.m.

Tahoes are built for towing kids to soccer fields. Moms don't like the rough ride of a real vehicle. Swap in some real springs and shocks and go nuts.

And GM truck brakes suck the very worst kind of ass at the best of times, so clean/adjust/lube and flush the fluid, then pull the ABS fuse and thats as good as it gets.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
10/30/13 6:37 a.m.

I had the same problem with my yukon. I added a leaf to the spring pack in the rear and added about a 1/2 inch of ride height in the front by turning up the torsion bars. It worked very well. also, the sway bar end links on those are prone to breaking. check to make sure they are still in place.

dj06482
10/30/13 8:50 a.m.

Best way to fix the rear brakes is to find a steep hill, back down it at 20-25 MPH, and then slam on the brakes so you're on the verge of lockup. Repeat 2 more times, and your brakes will feel infinitely better. The auto-adjust mechanisms on the rear drums don't really adjust on their own, but this procedure will get them back into shape.

Proper brake bleeding is also really important on these trucks. The stock brakes aren't fantastic, so having them in good shape goes a long way to improving their effectiveness.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
10/30/13 9:03 a.m.

Good stuff thank you! Wondering if 4WD suspension components from the same vintage will be better. Or 2500 stuff? Not worried about it riding firmer. After all there is about two feet of cushion built into the seat. I will do the back up trick tonight. Should be fun to watch.

dj06482
10/30/13 10:21 a.m.

If you have 2WD, SSBC has a rear disk kit, as well.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
10/30/13 10:35 a.m.

the backup and almost lockup routine worked so well the first time I tried it, I'm sure I giggled a little.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jspSD6qWwY9BR3RzG2UhPXmz1xDOGLDspxhKpq6EZlvdRU8FqzxLORIG7F3wfJM2