1 2
mfennell
mfennell Reader
2/13/20 8:28 a.m.

You chose wisely.  BaT is the wrong audience for that car.  The comments would have been a E36 M3-show of nit pickers who had no intention of bidding.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/20 9:07 a.m.
mfennell said:

You chose wisely.  BaT is the wrong audience for that car.  The comments would have been a E36 M3-show of nit pickers who had no intention of bidding.

That's BaT, but the car would sell.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/13/20 9:12 a.m.
docwyte said:

I was interested in listing my LSx swapped 951 on BaT until they tried to force me to accept a reserve of $15k for it.  I sold it on Craigslist locally for something like $23k and kept a bunch of parts off of it for my next car. 

That's an interesting data point as well since the e36 LS swap caged racecar may be next to go if the gt3 is as sublime of a driving experience as all of the internet experts say in forums and articles......

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/13/20 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Yeah, they asked me what I wanted as a reserve and I said something like $20k, they said they'd only list it with a $15k reserve and that was the end of that.

Low mileage cream puffs seem to do well there.  Swapped race cars, not so much.  I was definitely better off selling it elsewhere...

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/17/20 1:52 a.m.

Picked her up Saturday and had a 8 hour trip to feel her out.

Wow. Its everything everyone said it was just more intense than I was expecting. It's an obnoxiously loud rattle can and was ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE in Tampa (traffic/roads) where I picked her up. The RS wing is HUGE and I couldn't see anything behind me or around me. Stiff is the best way to explain the suspension. Dart if I see a shadow in the road and grimace as I pass said shadow hoping I didnt tear the remnants of spoiler off the front lip. The gears are LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG, not sure if I have put it in 3rd yet or if I drove it home in second 

On the other hand. This car is AMAZING and everything I had hoped for. This car feels like I just threw some carpet, AC and a stereo into my racecar and said screw it I am driving to the grocery store. The wing looks absolutely gorgeous. The car is stunning and visceral and the engine just HATES anything below 4k rpms. Screamer is the best way to explain the motor. The euro seats are COMFY and the PO put mb quartz and jl audio equipment in so it drowns out all of the rattle with some serious tune-age. 

I am smitten unlike any car I have ever purchased (although to be fair have never dreamed of spending this much money on a car). The car has 70k miles so she is more of a driver than concourse. I have never shopped for so many Alcantara parts. Have to get to work dropping the motor after Barber event in a few weeks, which may be my last event in the LS swapped BMW 325i world challenge car if the April NCM event goes well in the GT3. We shall see......

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/17/20 8:24 a.m.

Congrats!  How's that 800lb gorilla clutch in traffic?  All the buzzes and rattles were my experience with the GT3 too, which is weird since (knock on wood) my turbo doesn't have them.  That RS wing is worth serious coin, awesome it came on the car, along with the Euro seats, which I also love!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/17/20 8:51 a.m.

I used to own a 996 turbo and this car is a completely different beast with regards to noise and comfort. Makes the turbo seem like a cadillac!

I think part of it is the stiff suspension, part is the 8200 rpm redline noises, and the last part is a reduction in sound deadening (assumingly to reduce weight). Will get some pictures posted ASAP.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/17/20 10:37 a.m.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/17/20 10:37 a.m.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/17/20 10:54 a.m.

I had those seats and they are fantastic. Tons of replicas of them out there though now the OEM ones are worth a mint so you might want to get keyed bolts so they don't get stolen.

Get the GT3 euro center console removal kit will pull the cd holder plastic part out and makes the car so much more open and easy to use.  Suncoast sells it cheap.

If you want more exhaust noise but want to pass db at ost tracks look at the gundo hack. Costs about 30$ to do and major sound improvements.

Other stuff to do you have mentioned.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/17/20 11:01 a.m.

Thanks! That's the info I was looking for! 

One of the mufflers has some loose baffling inside so will cut it open and take into a muffler shop to fix it while they do the gundo mod.

Center console delete on the list, 996 gt3 cup car steering wheel enroute, and an alcantara shift boot would be my finishing touch once I have any funds at all.

Need to find a cost effective shift boot I can pair with perhaps a ball style shifter? Dont want to fork out 600 bucks on an OE shifter just for the Alcantara if I dont have to! Maybe an upholstery shop can make one custom for a few hundred dollars.....

dps214
dps214 Reader
2/17/20 12:30 p.m.

Still not really cheap, but better than $600:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/996ALCANTA.html

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/17/20 1:34 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Need to find a cost effective shift boot I can pair with perhaps a ball style shifter? Dont want to fork out 600 bucks on an OE shifter just for the Alcantara if I dont have to! Maybe an upholstery shop can make one custom for a few hundred dollars.....

Anything but Alcantara. Gets nasty at the track and your driving gloves will rip it up. Throw a white plastic ball on the top to reduce the weight and call it a day. IMO.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/18/20 8:18 a.m.

Look at my build thread.  I used a Function First delrin ball shift knob paired to a $25 leather shift boot sourced from eBay.  I'm not a fan of the center console delete, I don't find it gets in my way and I prefer the storage.

I see the harnesses, what rollbar does the car have?  The OEM Euro GT3 seats that both of us have are worth anywhere from $3-4000+ depending on condition.  They're getting to be quite rare and desirable, there was a time not that long ago when a mint set would sell for around $2k. 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/18/20 8:32 a.m.

Love the GT3! 

I have the same setup as docwyte in my Boxster. The F1 knob is a really nice piece. If I could do it again I would find a better boot. The ebay one is a tad too small and it bothers me a little bit. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/18/20 8:46 a.m.

Great! Now that that is sorted, looking at going 350mm squared rotors with PFC08 pads all around. Any leads on the best caliper spacer for the rear calipers to fit the 350mm steel rotors? Usually rockauto for my rotors, any reason not to go that route? 

Doc,

Any pictures of your interior with the function first knob? Thats what I will do as well. Hopefully can find an ebay alcantara boot for fairly inexpensive to match the gt3 cup wheel I will be installing. 

Need to get the m5 sold so I have room in the garage to get the 996 up on stands and start dropping the motor. Anyone have feedback on the easiest jack/stand/ramp setup for getting the 996 high enough to drop the motor would be greatly appreciated. Willing to pay for the right tools to make this as easy and safe as possible short of buying a lift (live in a rental). I understand the Harbor Freight hydraulic table to be the ticket for lowering the engine/trans combo.....

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/18/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

This is with their short shaft, which makes it stock height at its lowest.  Not sure which jack stands will get you high enough, you really want the back of the car several feet in the air to be able to slide everything out the bottom.  HF hydraulic lift table for sure tho.

On the brakes, Freddy Lewis on the 996 turbo forum of Rennlist is your contact for spacers for the 350mm rotors.  I usually get my Euro parts from either FCP Euro or RM European.  Mostly RM European because they're 10 minutes from me.  Rock Auto should be fine as long as the parts quality is good, like Sebro rotors, etc.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
2/18/20 12:28 p.m.

It's amazing how reserved the 996 GT3 looks compared to the current crop of GT3s, which with all their scoops, vents, spoilers, and different color paints get to be a bit much IMHO.  Congrats on the new ride!

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
2/18/20 2:34 p.m.

That's really the GT3 RS.  It has gotten much more wild looking over the years.  Regular GT3 is still just aggressive bumpers and big wing, albeit....more.

That's a dope 996.  Great pickup, especially if you got a good deal.  I'll be following along closely.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/18/20 3:01 p.m.

Thanks!! Will try to keep this updated as I get to the first track event. Should be quite the journey but signed up for Chin's NCM event today so hard timeline is set!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9MqFIbyLuT6vMqVqmSjOxc2Ge766B5TysnO9u2QX56YVO9NoeBO8ntlcZ31bvJ6M