Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/14/17 11:00 a.m.
feature_image

Remember that first Honda Civic Type R being auctioned off on Bring a Trailer? The bidding is up to a whopping $200,000. The auction ends tomorrow afternoon.

Of course the buyer isn't just paying $200,000 for the first Type R. all proceeds from this auction will be donated to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.

Read all the latest amateur motorsports …

Read the rest of the story

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/14/17 12:04 p.m.

Honda loving philanthropist that figured they'd get a sweet "Arrrrrrr" out of their usual donation? I'd love to hear the story on that buyer. I also wonder how the usual write-offs work when you get material goods out of the deal. I imagine a subtraction of normal market value, but when it's an auction...err, dunno.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/14/17 12:19 p.m.

Either way, I'm glad to see that amount of $$ being donated. Regardless of what they do with the car--- some good may come from the charity.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/14/17 2:11 p.m.

Maybe they're hoping to crush the Alpha to kill the others and their 'controversial' styling? I keed of course. The styling doesn't bother me.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/14/17 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Agreed. There are worse ways to donate to charity. Ways that don't involve the possibility of melting tires.

I'm just curious about the financial mechanics of that kind of transaction.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/14/17 3:46 p.m.

A kid from my hometown has been battling brain tumors for the past couple months. He happens to be Roy Clark's (from Hee Haw fame) grandson. I am glad that a decent chunk of money is going to this charity.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/14/17 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

Second hand from my CPA mother in law says that you take the selling price, subtract the market value of the item, and the difference is the amount you are able to declare as a donation. I'm sure there are some nuts and bolts (how sales tax is accounted for) that need to be worked outside but with a new car like this, sticker price is stamped right there on the window sticker and the math should be easy.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/14/17 8:30 p.m.

If this is what these will cause folks to part with major$$$$ to help those in dire straits, then I guess there is some redeeming value after all with this design exercise...

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/15/17 7:39 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Thanks Deuce! I imagined it was something to that effect. Anything new with a sticker price should make that easy, but I wonder about other charity auctions where the value is more up to personal or market value. I guess an appraisal can be a fair data point in that scenario.

Ok I'll stop derailing. Back OT: some generous individual gets a fast car with polarizing styling to go, "Weeeeeeeee! Hatersgonnahate..." -and- a worthy charity gets a huge influx of cash. Everybody wins. Awesome.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/15/17 2:01 p.m.

Just sold for $200,000!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PfcVpfqiEPDxC6Np78cGMUSuOJMKi0a2oczpaatzvQXDev0n63LO2v79aVlWScDl