brownb
brownb New Reader
8/15/22 11:09 p.m.

Turns out nothing!

Wife and I took my '89 turbo from The BC interior to Saskatchewan and back to visit family.  Roof off for almost the entire trip. When cruising along at about 140 kmh all you here is the wind above your head.  Pretty much what I imagine piloting a jet is like.  Incredible car on the highway.

The car now has 251,000 kms on it.  Felt super solid like a Toyota should.

No overheating, no oil or coolant issues.tion, no glitches.

Best damn $600 car I ever bought.

brownb
brownb New Reader
8/15/22 11:10 p.m.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/16/22 12:45 a.m.

I'd make a currency joke, but really I'm just envious you can still find running MK3s up there for cheap!

Cool trip

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/22 12:51 a.m.

I know a farmer out there you might have visited. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/16/22 10:30 a.m.

Wow!   I'm jealous.  looks very similar to the 87 NA that I owned.    Same color even.

Want to triple your investment on it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 10:35 a.m.

I did find it amusing that the next thread in my list was "what to do when your car catches fire".

Nice!

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/22 10:38 a.m.

Still the best looking car Toyota has ever made.

brownb
brownb New Reader
8/17/22 12:43 a.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Ha ha!  Yes!  That was 600 Canadian dollars so about ten bucks anywhere else.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/17/22 7:44 a.m.

The MA70 is the best looking supra and this only makes me like it more.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/17/22 9:42 a.m.

LOVE the Targa top, sounds like a fun adventure!

I would love to find one of those as something to tinker with. I think I've read the only real weak spot is the head gasket? But ARP studs/new gasket and then are pretty bulletproof.  Although I imagine little trim pieces and stuff are getting nearly impossible to find.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/17/22 10:36 a.m.

When did that $600 leave your pocket? That is the invisible elephant here.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/22 10:50 a.m.
brownb said:

In reply to birdmayne :

Ha ha!  Yes!  That was 600 Canadian dollars so about ten bucks anywhere else.

when did you make this purchase?

brownb
brownb New Reader
8/18/22 12:59 a.m.

I bought the car last October as a non runner. It had sat in a yard for ten years after it had developed a coolant leak.  The PO didn't want to deal with it so he ditched it in his dad's yard.  Finally dad said it had to go.  So I got it towed home and after a few weeks of replacing water pump and some coolant lines, fluid changes and tune up parts it ran.  And ran very well.  Mountain of receipts with the car from the original owner.  I'm the third.  Rebuilt engine 100,000 kms ago, new clutch about 5,000 kms ago.  Resurrected the a/c and electrics all work.  A little rust around the rear arches, but very little.  Paint is pretty baked, but who cares?  I don't feel bad about exposing it to the elements like the low mileage NA Miata I had before this.

I've wanted to try one of these for quite awhile and I feel very fortunate to have found a 5 speed turbo model for not much money.

brownb
brownb New Reader
8/18/22 1:09 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That is the challenge with these.  Finding trim pieces and interior parts as many have been discontinued now.  Ebay is your friend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RjLNMxxotta73qNKyLYe7tVX3U6Fm3xFV1GhZPmXzdvNHGmmQIF5rSsOAHUb8NqY