1 2 3
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/19/12 8:48 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Turbo...meh...Much more interested in the nutbar over on the FRS forum that is planting the LS6 engine in his new car. One of the things that I have not warmed up to with this car is the endless need to be in some other gear rather than the one you are in. Turbo will just make this worse. With a LS swap and a 6 speed you could just leave the stick in 5th and call it a day.

Turbo would make this better, assuming it's appropriately sized, especially with the response it'll have with the high compression.

Example: My Miata is perfectly happy and capable of some back road touring with another group of miatas just stuck in 4th gear, keeping up easily, while the rest of them are frantically shifting to stay in powerband.

Turbos never hurt a powerband.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/19/12 9:18 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Turbo...meh...Much more interested in the nutbar over on the FRS forum that is planting the LS6 engine in his new car. One of the things that I have not warmed up to with this car is the endless need to be in some other gear rather than the one you are in. Turbo will just make this worse. With a LS swap and a 6 speed you could just leave the stick in 5th and call it a day.
Turbo would make this better, assuming it's appropriately sized, especially with the response it'll have with the high compression. Example: My Miata is perfectly happy and capable of some back road touring with another group of miatas just stuck in 4th gear, keeping up easily, while the rest of them are frantically shifting to stay in powerband. Turbos never hurt a powerband.

Guess I would have to drive one. My memories of after market turbo cars goes back about 30 years and all I recall was spastic spurts of power and desperately trying to get into another gear before the pistons swapped holes, all while trying to stay in some miniscule power-band. Eventually, it was easier to just let the pistons swap holes and move on.

Also, the noise that the blow-off valves are continuously making is annoying.

So you say this stuff is better nowadays?

If the LS swap that these guys are doing works out, I will be tempted to brick the Subaru engine in the FRS as motivation to build one.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/19/12 9:21 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Turbo would make this better, assuming it's appropriately sized, especially with the response it'll have with the high compression. Example: My Miata is perfectly happy and capable of some back road touring with another group of miatas just stuck in 4th gear, keeping up easily, while the rest of them are frantically shifting to stay in powerband. Turbos never hurt a powerband.
Guess I would have to drive one. My memories of after market turbo cars goes back about 30 years and all I recall was spastic spurts of power and desperately trying to get into another gear before the pistons swapped holes, all while trying to stay in some miniscule power-band. Eventually, it was easier to just let the pistons swap holes and move on. Also, the noise that the blow-off valves are continuously making is annoying. So you say this stuff is better nowadays? If the LS swap that these guys are doing works out, I will be tempted to brick the Subaru engine in the FRS as motivation to build one.

It's been better for a long time.

My MX6 is probably closer to the "spastic spurts of power" range, but even that thing has a solid 3000rpms of HUGE power. No, it doesn't move real well around 2000rpms, but if you're hustling the car around, it's never that low anyways. 3rd gear usable powerband is a solid 35-80mph. 4th gear is 45-jail time.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/19/12 1:03 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Mark Donohue wrote: If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.

I agree... if we're talking about a race car. On the street I want to be able to lean on a car without worry of garnering too much attention from Johnny Law. More power just means a bigger ticket when he catches you winding out 3rd gear.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
10/19/12 1:09 p.m.

Link please

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
10/19/12 1:27 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Mark Donohue wrote: If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.
I agree... if we're talking about a race car. On the street I want to be able to lean on a car without worry of garnering too much attention from Johnny Law. More power just means a bigger ticket when he catches you winding out 3rd gear.

The throttle is an analog input. If the car makes 1000 hp, just only use 100 of it. Unless there is a driveability/relaibility/?? tradeoff, I can't see the disadvantage of more power.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/19/12 1:50 p.m.

The Toyobaru FR-Z needs moar V8.

That is all.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/19/12 2:03 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Link please

Here you go:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19822&page=5

Was going to wait until some actual work was posted with pictures, but since you ask, here is a link to the last page on the thread. It's being done by a shop, so I hope it moves at a commercial pace.

I had to go look under the hood just now to see where they think they are going to stick that warhead?

evildky
evildky Dork
10/19/12 2:21 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Here you go: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19822&page=5 Was going to wait until some actual work was posted with pictures, but since you ask, here is a link to the last page on the thread. It's being done by a shop, so I hope it moves at a commercial pace. I had to go look under the hood just now to see where they think they are going to stick that warhead?

"Moar" to my point, it's not a build thread, it's a bunch of D bags jerking off on the interweb

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/19/12 3:22 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: The throttle is an analog input. If the car makes 1000 hp, just only use 100 of it. Unless there is a driveability/relaibility/?? tradeoff, I can't see the disadvantage of more power.

I don't find it fun to hold back. I'd rather be wringing 11/10ths out of a car and only going 40, then having to restraining myself to only 2/10ths and still going 90. It's why I didn't click with the RX-7 I had, I always felt like I was short shifting it because the feeling of power never dropped off, it never felt like "that's all she's got, cap'n", even with the over-rev alarm buzzing for the past 1500 rpm.

I don't see the advantage of more power unless you're already going 10/10ths everywhere and still can't keep up with normal traffic. I don't like the feeling of there being "more" to the car that I'm not able to use (either from lack of skill or abundance of caution) because it makes me feel like I'm wasting something.

Maybe another way to look at it: would you drive an F-350 every day just so you knew that you could tow/haul near anything should the need arise? I know plenty of people that do so, but I'd find it wasteful to drive that much truck just to go to the grocery store.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/12 4:23 p.m.

I'd like to see a supercharger kit rather than a turbo.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
10/20/12 12:33 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: <b Also, the noise that the blow-off valves are continuously making is annoying.

You are completely wrong.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/12 12:53 a.m.

Don't vent to the atmosphere or use a "quiet" blow off... easy

WhiteLX
WhiteLX Reader
10/20/12 1:52 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Maybe another way to look at it: would you drive an F-350 every day just so you knew that you could tow/haul near anything should the need arise? I know plenty of people that do so, but I'd find it wasteful to drive that much truck just to go to the grocery store.

I drove an F250 7.3L powerstroke daily and rarely towed. It was a ton of fun, especially with the 120hp chip. I enjoyed driving it way more than my current Ranger. I wish I had never sold that truck.

StatusPerformance
StatusPerformance New Reader
10/20/12 8:40 a.m.

315hp twin charged smh. Why even bother when those numbers could easily be achieved with 10psi from either or? If its a track car I say twin-screw or rotex SC. Time attack or drag go turbo. Just my $.02 on the OP.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/20/12 11:00 a.m.
evildky wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Here you go: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19822&page=5 Was going to wait until some actual work was posted with pictures, but since you ask, here is a link to the last page on the thread. It's being done by a shop, so I hope it moves at a commercial pace. I had to go look under the hood just now to see where they think they are going to stick that warhead?
"Moar" to my point, it's not a build thread, it's a bunch of D bags jerking off on the interweb

Go back for another look. The fact that they yanked the drivetrain out of a brand new BRZ already puts them in the big-balls club as far as I am concerned.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
10/20/12 1:08 p.m.

So since the warranty would be toast and the cost of the turbo install/tuning done properly is going to cost what 5 to 8k why would'nt you go buy say a used caymen or?? for the same money?.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/20/12 2:12 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: So since the warranty would be toast and the cost of the turbo install/tuning done properly is going to cost what 5 to 8k why would'nt you go buy say a used caymen or?? for the same money?.

Cause we as a group tend to be a project focused group? Where would the fun be?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
10/20/12 11:46 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

But at least you get to drive something worth looking at,won't look like the latest wannabe jumping on the overhyped bandwagon and you can always upgrade the porsche if you desire a project.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/21/12 9:24 a.m.

Who cares what you look like as long as you enjoy driving it?

Also see: Miata.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/21/12 10:58 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I'd like to see a supercharger kit rather than a turbo.

There is a twin screw super charger kit in early development I just found out about

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/21/12 11:35 a.m.

Trd has been testing a supercharged frs for awhile.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/21/12 12:25 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Trd has been testing a supercharged frs for awhile.

I'll be interested if they actually sell it on a GT-S version or if it'll just be a $5k+ dealer option.

From what I understand, the STi version of the BRZ will still be N/A.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/21/12 12:30 p.m.

I'm in the same boat as you... Would probably push me over the edge in considering one.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/21/12 12:32 p.m.

I'm already over the edge enough that I want to take one on an extended test drive, I just don't have the finances to make the purchase.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZPt5WvDOWevD2KvwTCxFuclj31molufmHopngqENR6fLHupBfdLPwApvgl2LWgDx