1 2
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/22 5:33 a.m.

Directions from US1 were something like: Seminole, sesame, seneca, secretary.

All S's but every street in the development seemed to start with S.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/7/22 7:12 a.m.

IIRC, there was a GRM podcast about this a few years back. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/7/22 9:10 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

You can find our old podcasts here

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/7/22 9:58 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

Directions from US1 were something like: Seminole, sesame, seneca, secretary.

All S's but every street in the development seemed to start with S.

Seminole, Sesame, Selma, Secretary, but, yeah, you were close. 

Getting a pizza delivered when we lived up there was a living hell.

David S. Wallens
7/7/22 12:39 p.m.

I don't believe this one is from Palm Coast, but it's from the same era. 

JG Pasterjak
7/7/22 1:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I don't believe this one is from Palm Coast, but it's from the same era. 

I think this might be 11th st (now LPGA) out bythe stadium when it was closed off at the highway basically making it a long, blind dead end. We may or may not have done a few things there as well.

David S. Wallens
7/7/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

If I knew what you were talking about, I'd say that I believe that you are correct. 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
7/7/22 1:18 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

And here's an event that became dubbed the "Zombiecross". The previous owner of the Firm bought an abandoned army training facility near Arcadia. It was supposed to become another rally training facility, "Carlstromring".  But at the first and only event ever held there, a car went off course, hit an electrical box, and started a fire.  To my knowledge, the dude sold the place afterward. :(  (not me, I did not get to attend). 

I wondered what happened to that.  I grew up 1 county north of that and that seemed like a good opportunity to move back to FL and have an awesome job.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
7/7/22 1:20 p.m.

So, you know how we have that nifty assist list map?  What if we had another one for secret test tracks?

JG Pasterjak
7/7/22 1:24 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

So, you know how we have that nifty assist list map?  What if we had another one for secret test tracks?

Never write down anything you don't want read back to you in a courtroom.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
7/13/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Rocket City? Didn't take off?cheeky

David S. Wallens
7/13/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to jerel77494 :

It's nice to see people reading my stuff. :) 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 9:57 p.m.

Oh? 15 minutes away from Mom's house?
Mom, who I'm visiting this weekend?  That Mom?

Yes, that Mom.

Now, how to explain why I want to go visit some random neighborhood

aw614
aw614 Reader
7/14/22 10:18 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

And here's an event that became dubbed the "Zombiecross". The previous owner of the Firm bought an abandoned army training facility near Arcadia. It was supposed to become another rally training facility, "Carlstromring".  But at the first and only event ever held there, a car went off course, hit an electrical box, and started a fire.  To my knowledge, the dude sold the place afterward. :(  (not me, I did not get to attend). 

A two people I know went to this, one friend loved it in his stock Miata, another thought it was sketchy as hell and only ran once before tapping out. His shop is doing more spec e30, and other sanctioned stuff now. It's interesting to see the few news articles on Carlstromring before their first event. 

David S. Wallens
7/14/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Don't expect to run any hot laps, but you can see some possible GRM history. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/22 9:18 a.m.

Remembering back to some of the original print articles, I seem to recall the authors were much less circumspect with phrases like "a place that looks like" etc.  Good stuff, love it.  Also the bay bottom crawl is on my bucket list even if I haven't done an autocross in like a decade.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/22 9:24 a.m.
aw614 said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

A two people I know went to this, one friend loved it in his stock Miata, another thought it was sketchy as hell and only ran once before tapping out. His shop is doing more spec e30, and other sanctioned stuff now. It's interesting to see the few news articles on Carlstromring before their first event. 

Tom Panzarella?  If so, I know him a bit as well!

Lof8 - Andy
8/31/22 9:25 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Remembering back to some of the original print articles, I seem to recall the authors were much less circumspect with phrases like "a place that looks like" etc.  Good stuff, love it.  Also the bay bottom crawl is on my bucket list even if I haven't done an autocross in like a decade.

Bay Bottom Crawl has been defunct for several years now, since the last big hurricane rolled through and did some damage to the roads that make up the course.  But I'd love to see it happen again.

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/31/22 9:50 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
aw614 said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Tom Panzarella?  If so, I know him a bit as well!

lol yep thats him. Usually catch up with him at Fixxfest, but he did my mk6 GTI's clutch when he was transitioning from dealer work to his shop. 

EDIT: You are the one with the yellow mr2 challenge car? 

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/31/22 10:09 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjrjXud-WE

This is all I can think of. 

Unfortunately the price of land nowadays really takes away the ability to (potentially) do fun stuff like this. Every square inch must be packed.

Lof8 - Andy
8/31/22 10:25 a.m.

In reply to aw614 :

That is me.  Currently working on getting a 2zz engine in there before the challenge.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
8/31/22 1:44 p.m.

A friend in high school lived in a similarly mostly un-developed neighborhood in east Brandon (Florida) in the late 80s... we did more than a few dumb things bombing around in my woefully under suspended '70 Mach 1 and his family's Caravan.  Had a few offs, but none that resulted in hitting trees or the rather precariously placed (for a "race track") fire hydrants.  Thinking back, it's more than a little surprising that my Mach survived that era of my life so that I still own it now. But boy, do I miss having un(der) developed areas to go f'around... this part of Florida has grown to make that sorta thing nigh on impossible.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2O0Z6ItaFqU1PYKubO0DhbEOTwISrUOF3nApFskfjClbqVtdJB2Gzg3y8xj2Pn5F