Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
2/16/18 7:09 p.m.

http://www.a2zracer.com/page82.html

I have always had a soft spot for the S130 chassis. Even though it is often overlooked for its predecessor or successor as far as motorsports capabilities. But some may not know it’s racing heritage in the later years and how well it did. This link and then one to follow I think do a lot of justice for this car.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/5wgdkb/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/hL0KGt/

yeah I know it’s carthrottle, but I’ve fact checked it. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/16/18 7:25 p.m.

Ya I always liked them too.  Even the 10 anniversary two tone edition.  I think they were really a standout among the late 70s early 80s cars which in general were really boring.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/16/18 7:35 p.m.

My good friend had an '82 280ZX Turbo when we were in high school. It was definitely the fastest car I had ridden in at the time. I drove it once, had terrible turbo lag, but it rocketed after it hit. Digital dash, maroon exterior, very period. 

It wasn't exactly reliable, but I don't think it helped that my friend revved it to 5k every time he started it. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/18 8:44 p.m.

I will always love the 280ZX, it's my guilty pleasure.  

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
2/16/18 8:44 p.m.

I love my ZX. First car I bought after high school. Something about it being the underdog makes it so much cooler to me.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/17/18 8:18 p.m.

I didn't know anything about the racing history, very interesting. 

My only 280zx experience has been driving and doing some minor work on a stock non-turbo one. Extremely underwhelming in the acceleration department but in the context of the late 70s it probably wasn't half bad. I dislike the 2+2 roofline pretty severely, too. One of the shops i worked at had a turbo model that had been sitting for a long time over 'wiring/computer' issues but i never got to try my hand at it. 

I'll try to drive one sometime..

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
2/18/18 1:49 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

They haul ass with little work. Best part is, you can achieve a huge power increase just using the Datsun parts bin. 

f54 block, n42 head, diesel maxima crank, factory flat top pistons, triple sidedrafts

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/18/18 9:31 a.m.

I can't believe no one has posted pics of this yet...  box flares FTW! 

I had a final year 280Z ('78) back in the 80's, and as I remember the ZX was seriously detuned by comparison, though it got heavier and softer.  Still a handsome car, though.  

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
2/18/18 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

It did. Smog handicapped it like everything else of the era. The weight was most the BarcaLounger interior and some chassis stuff. The electronics also added weight. But in race trim it was near the old s30 chassis, but stiffer. The rear suspension was the only “let down”, but that was just because of it camber curve and was easily solved by any racing team. On a grassroots level the car got a bad rap for that since most grassroots autocross guys couldn’t/wouldn’t fix that. 

The wheels were also heavy compared to the old s30. About 25lbs a piece. 

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
2/18/18 10:32 a.m.

I really need those box flares for,mine. So badass.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hRdOnhXrmZBrqhfZJ5ZglN2t32nBE0o3yNbRCt2MZjqPplBnHGftd5wmNI0e17jY