1 2 3
chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
10/1/13 4:35 p.m.

Through an interesting series of events I ended up picking up a 2004 CTS-V for my new daily driver. I never thought I would find one of these in my Grassroots budget. It has high miles but overall has been taken care of. It has the typical CTS-V problems but nothing I can't fix. Depreciation is a wonderful thing and for what I paid I can take the risk. Over time these cars should start popping up on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand market at decent prices. I am diving in head first and hope this is going to be a fun ride. This is also my first GM car after owning 20+ cars over the years. This will mostly be a daily driver but I may have to drag it out to a track day or autocross at some point.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/13 4:50 p.m.

Mmmm, nice!

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
10/1/13 5:06 p.m.

Me likey!

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
10/1/13 5:07 p.m.

Care to share ball parks numbers? Have been watching for those here but they are still to much.

plance1
plance1 Dork
10/1/13 5:09 p.m.

how many miles? how much was it? What specific problems does it have? Regardless, that thing looks cool. I sometimes cruise the internet looking for older Audi S8s and I wonder why I do so since they have a bad rap as far as maintenance goes and the cadillac seems so much better!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/13 5:15 p.m.

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be following this one closely.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/1/13 5:16 p.m.

Anecdotal observations: Don't take it to an autocross. I've seen 2 break on course and go into limp-home mode.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/1/13 5:59 p.m.
mtn wrote: Anecdotal observations: Don't take it to an autocross. I've seen 2 break on course and go into limp-home mode.

Maybe they didn't know how to drive? Or maintain a car? Maybe both?

I autocrossed mine with no problems. In fact I drove mine from Tampa, to Hilton Head, to Grandfather mountain, to the Biltmore, down to Atlanta. Took the SCCA drivers ed special advertised in GRM at Turner field, which was harder on it than a regular autocross since it was all day with many runs. Then drove 6 hours back home to Tampa. No limp mode here, instead it was me in pure woody mode.

My observations are, its a beast to wrangle. Got my butt kicked by smaller lighter, cheaper cars. Especially since it was a newly sealed parking lot on a rainy day. I got over it and just began competing against myself.

Still haven't put the short shifter and new UUC bushings in mine but that is top on the list as the shifts are way to ambiguous in stock form.

Oh yeah and congrats! My CTSV was my first GM car as well! (who I had sworn off)

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/1/13 6:01 p.m.

Am I a dick if I ask "how much?"

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/1/13 6:14 p.m.

Mmmmm black raven!!

Will
Will Dork
10/1/13 6:22 p.m.
mtn wrote: Anecdotal observations: Don't take it to an autocross. I've seen 2 break on course and go into limp-home mode.

I ran mine on Hoosiers for a full season and had no problems.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/1/13 6:32 p.m.
jdbuilder wrote:
Maybe they didn't know how to drive? Or maintain a car? Maybe both?

One of them, I honestly don't know. The other, definitely knew/knows what he is doing and definitely maintained the car. EDIT: Although his turned out to be something of a lemon.

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
10/1/13 6:47 p.m.

Congrats on the new car! Also very curious as to the common issues with these cars, seems like a reasonable and comfortable way to get used V8 power in the used market.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/1/13 7:21 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Am I a dick if I ask "how much?"

You are regardless, so go for it :)

So glad to see these cars hitting the sweet spot in the depreciation curve. Now if only G8 GXPs would do the same...

jg

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
10/1/13 9:02 p.m.

Awesome! It would be cool to see updates with whatever you decide to do with it!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/1/13 9:06 p.m.

These are very cool cars. Have fun with it.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
10/1/13 9:30 p.m.

Could you share with us what you have learned and maybe a hint on the price, I am in the market for a large car in the next year or so.

Paul B

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
10/1/13 10:02 p.m.

One reason no one ever wants to say how much they paid is because immediately afterwards a couple jokers typically get on and say oh you paid too much.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/1/13 10:07 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Am I a dick if I ask "how much?"
You are regardless, so go for it :) So glad to see these cars hitting the sweet spot in the depreciation curve. Now if only G8 GXPs would do the same... jg

I have my eyes glued to this search

g8 gxp photo: G8 GXP Coupe meatycoupe2.jpg

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
10/1/13 10:26 p.m.

Congrats! Following this thread with interest (along with the other previous CTS-V threads here.) Lots of good info here without the noise found at other forums, Caddy-specific included. I've spent a year trying to come to grips with how life would be with 400hp RWD sedan. The buy-in is reasonable (especially the '04's & '05's with higher mileage) but the consumables look to be spendy. Hope you enjoy and share some insight during daily life with it.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
10/2/13 2:24 a.m.
plance1 wrote: One reason no one ever wants to say how much they paid is because immediately afterwards a couple jokers typically get on and say oh you paid too much.

Or that their friend of a friend of a friend got one in way better shape with hardly any miles on it for like half of what you paid.

At least, that was my experience on a P71 board.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/2/13 3:11 a.m.

nice, first gen cts-vs have been looking great lately

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/2/13 7:29 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote:
plance1 wrote: One reason no one ever wants to say how much they paid is because immediately afterwards a couple jokers typically get on and say oh you paid too much.
Or that their friend of a friend of a friend got one in way better shape with hardly any miles on it for like half of what you paid. At least, that was my experience on a P71 board.

It's also why in threads where people say, "How much should I pay for XXXX?" The answer is, "Whatever you feel comfortable with?"

Nice car OP!

chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
10/2/13 8:25 a.m.

OK. It has 211,000 miles on it and I paid a bit over $5k. All HWY miles as the previous owner traveled about 300 miles a day 6 days a week. The motor/transmission/rear end are in excellent shape and should easily run for another 100 to 200 thousand miles. I will probably have to drop another couple hundred - $1,000 in parts on it but should be worth it. Below are a few of the small issues it has that seem typical to CTS-V's. I love the 14" Brembo brakes.

The car is no trailer queen and isn't perfect but it also wasn't abused.

Most of the issues have to do with rubber bushings/mounts being worn out as they are all original. Issues are: One Window Regulator broken ( I am sure the others aren't far behind), Sunroof drains needed to be unclogged, motor mounts are worn out, transmission mount worn out, sway bar bushings worn out, end links are suspect, and finally the interior is dirty. There are other smaller cosmetic items I need to take care of but nothing urgent.

chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
10/2/13 8:29 a.m.

In reply to jdbuilder: I am coming from a Ford Focus SVT so this will be a completely different kind of car for me to drive especially at the autocross.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rntdtW51yguprw38Qo8UIVwBN1QfAhSDXcohPzGLaocIZTGEGpw45zQyE49YKxmH