1 2
foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/10/15 7:56 a.m.

I recently bought a larger jack, after admitting I'm just not going to get a lift and especially not stick in the driveway in front of my house. I bought this jack, 60678, because it has the longest arm and highest lift of their automotive type jacks.

It's heavy, but it's also quite nice. I very much appreciate the long lift arm so that things aren't arced back as they go up. It also can lift my toys much higher than the little and also wonderfull aluminum jack does. Closest to a down side with this jack is difficulty in slowly lowering. It's pretty touchy and quick, and you can drop things down faster than you want.

The icing on the cake though, is this:

I should have bought one of these a LONG time ago! Part 60762. This thing makes a huge difference. Both in terms of lifting and stability. Far more so than I expected. I almost didn't buy this, but decided what the heck. I am so glad I did. Bonus points, once you've got the end/side of the car up, you can slip your jack stands right under the arms.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/10/15 9:43 a.m.

I've got that jack. It's great. Heavy, and yeah, the "down" feature needs to be very carefully used, but it's great. The cross arm thing looks interesting, but I'm not sure how that would work with my vehicle set.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/10/15 10:01 a.m.

I did not realize they sold that separately. I will have to look for that. I have considered making custom heads for my aluminum version.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/10/15 10:14 a.m.

Low profile, long-reach jacks are the shnitz. You'll love it more when you need to jack up the Spitfire. Robyn ended up with mine since she really needs it more than I do (since I have a lift).

I like those cross-beam supports, although they would only work on one or two of my cars, so I never got one.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
9/10/15 10:29 a.m.

I also have that 2-ton low profile high-lift jack. I've used it as my garage jack for three years now. I have nothing bad to say about it, and when it dies, I'll get another one.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/10/15 10:32 a.m.

The cross beam thingie would not work with the likes of a Spitfire or Lotus or any other low slung car. It just can't get under them. Well, you could if you drove the car up on ramps first, which might not be a bad idea actually.

But, for going under the Volvo or such, it's great. It lets me go in from the front and put the arms out to both sides of the frame rails. Then I lift centrally. Same with jacking the whole side of the car. Just put the arms out to the front and rear lift points, and lift the side up.

It's much more stable going up than balancing the car on the center of the cross-member of the frame (shouldn't be, but it is). And I can put the jack stands under the ends of the cross-beam and set down onto them.

The pads on that cross-beam thingie are urethane or such, not typical rubber. It's held on with 4 hex bolts, so it should be very replaceable. It's deeply grooved, so it grips quite well, and hasn't torn or cut, yet.

Mounting and unmounting the cross-beam isn't bad, it's just a single large center bolt. If you skip the spacer, the cross-beam spins. But it is a bulky and heavy item, so I'm not sure how often I will actually take it on and off.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/10/15 1:16 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

So what is the minimun height of the whole bar on jack assembly?

Mind measuring it?

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs Reader
9/10/15 2:55 p.m.

Been looking at that jack for the Viggen and the Elan. I have to drive up on 2 x 4's in both cars just to get my current jack under them. Off to HB I go..................

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/10/15 3:01 p.m.

Hrmmm... i think that's the jack i need to actually get my car up on alignment platform.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/15 3:32 p.m.

I have that jack. It is the best jack I have ever owned or used. It will jack up everything from the Abomination to my F350.

The trick to lowering gently is don't over-tighten the knob. Two fingers is all you need to tighten it enough to hold.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
9/10/15 3:33 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Low profile, long-reach jacks are the shnitz. You'll love it more when you need to jack up the Spitfire. Robyn ended up with mine since she really needs it more than I do (since I have a lift). I like those cross-beam supports, although they would only work on one or two of my cars, so I never got one.

Mind you, not 'one end of the Spitfire', the whole Spitfire.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/10/15 7:01 p.m.
erohslc wrote: Mind you, not 'one end of the Spitfire', the whole Spitfire.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/15 9:20 p.m.

I have that jack and like it too. Weighs a ton though. have the little aluminum one for off site work. Been debating the crosbar, it does look good though.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/10/15 9:48 p.m.

I got the 2.5 Tom HF jack. Agreed, very heavy and works perfectly lifting either a lowered miata or the entire back of the suburban in one go. (Done by my 75 lb daughter which was funny to watch).

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/11/15 4:37 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: So what is the minimun height of the whole bar on jack assembly? Mind measuring it?

~5-1/2" with the pads screwed all the way down.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/11/15 7:53 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Hmm thanks. Don't think that will fit under the stock lower side trim. Will have to measure twice.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/11/15 8:33 p.m.

Will the box the jack comes in fit in the trunk of a Miata?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/11/15 8:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Will the box the jack comes in fit in the trunk of a Miata?

No. Its so long it might tip out. You could fit it in the passenger area I think.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
9/11/15 9:39 p.m.

I bought that jack on sale recently. I can get it under my S2000 without boards if I force it under the bumper cover, but I don't have the optional lip. It goes without touching if I put the front wheels on 2x6's.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/15 8:23 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Poop. The Cherokee of Rarity being no more is really cramping my style.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/15 9:50 a.m.

Huh. Think I might need to pick one of these things up.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/15 10:08 a.m.
bludroptop wrote:
erohslc wrote: Mind you, not 'one end of the Spitfire', the whole Spitfire.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

That's terrific Spitfire!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/15 4:05 p.m.

Anyone know of a coupon for this jack? Can't seem to find one.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs Reader
9/14/15 6:05 a.m.

HF always has a 20% off coupon. Other than that, good luck. I've been waiting for months for the jack to be on sale really cheap and it's just not happening.

pav5069
pav5069 New Reader
9/14/15 6:57 a.m.

How much does the jack cost. I'll be shopping for a jack soon. The reviews on here make it sound pretty good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T55zMqkseJ5k59naruG5ogaiiBqqY0SXMBq7L6Nyrmx8tRvbRSxxv7nlAOiaZlDH