1 2 3 4 5
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/18/22 3:25 p.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Do tell...

It has cosmetic rear end damage, but still drives. I've been keeping it around and lying to myself that I'm going to turn it into a stakebody truck like a holden 1-tonner but deep down I know I won't. I'd let it go for like 2 dollor signs or "an interesting trade"

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/22 3:43 p.m.
iansane said:
Driven5 said:
iansane said:
birdmayne said:

Any PNW locals who want to get in on this? I'd be game to join a team.

Yes. Yes I would.

That depends... Are we talking about the kind of team that would have me as a member?

Do you like to go reasonably fast? For a long period of time? Consecutively? I think that's pretty much all the requirements.

If there is a "No skill required" clause, I'm definitely interested 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/22 4:43 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Don't for a second think I have any experience. I can count the number of times I've been on track on one hand.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

I love the grandpa gold.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/18/22 4:56 p.m.
iansane said:

I love the grandpa gold.

That is a symphony in beige.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/18/22 5:14 p.m.
Driven5 said:
iansane said:

I love the grandpa gold.

That is a symphony in beige.

I know, Isn't it wonderful?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/18/22 7:57 p.m.
iansane said:

Have you seen my driveway? I'm full of bad decisions.

Got enough room for one more?

birdmayne
2/19/22 11:30 a.m.

Are you guys serious about pursuing this? I very much am.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/20/22 3:43 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

I am as serious as the backing I have of She-Who-Enables-Everything-That-I-Enjoy. The real question would be the logistics of a dispersed team. At the top of the list would be a world-headquarters that is willing and able to bear the lions share of building, prepping, maintaining, repairing, storing, and transporting the car. Without that, I don't see how it would work. Beyond that would be coming to an agreement to still provide sufficient support from the rest of the team in other forms, and lays out the terms of both joining with and separating from the team. 

If I had the time and space, I'd already be a team world-headquarters. If there is somebody serious about taking on that role, I'm serious about joining the effort. While I have a lot of... shall we say 'interesting'... ideas about what could be built from a future-competitive standpoint, and as much as a rotary engine is not on that list, the best starting point for now may simply be something more like this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1985-mazda-rx7-gsl-se-race-car/7446599303.html

iansane
2/22/22 1:02 p.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to birdmayne :

I am as serious as the backing I have of She-Who-Enables-Everything-That-I-Enjoy. The real question would be the logistics of a dispersed team. At the top of the list would be a world-headquarters that is willing and able to bear the lions share of building, prepping, maintaining, repairing, storing, and transporting the car. Without that, I don't see how it would work. Beyond that would be coming to an agreement to still provide sufficient support from the rest of the team in other forms, and lays out the terms of both joining with and separating from the team. 

If I had the time and space, I'd already be a team world-headquarters. If there is somebody serious about taking on that role, I'm serious about joining the effort. While I have a lot of... shall we say 'interesting'... ideas about what could be built from a future-competitive standpoint, and as much as a rotary engine is not on that list, the best starting point for now may simply be something more like this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1985-mazda-rx7-gsl-se-race-car/7446599303.html

I'm definitely serious. I'll talk to SWMBO and see what her take is on being worldHQ. I have no qualms with it. Especially since I have a lift and a heated shop, albeit a little messy with projects right now. I had wanted to get rid of cars before acquiring more but racecars are racecars. I don't know diddly about rotaries but I'm willing to learn.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/22/22 5:56 p.m.

A bit more expensive, and a bit further away, but also a bit more car... Be that for better or worse.

https://luckydog1.forumchitchat.com/post/1988-irocz-11835299

birdmayne
2/22/22 7:41 p.m.

I'm not centrally located enough to be HQ (Wenatchee valley), but I'll dedicate a handful of weekends to wrenching and racing. 

Hell, I'll just be a wrench turner if that's what's needed

iansane
2/23/22 11:11 a.m.
Driven5 said:

A bit more expensive, and a bit further away, but also a bit more car... Be that for better or worse.

https://luckydog1.forumchitchat.com/post/1988-irocz-11835299

Oooh. I know it's a bit more but turdgens are my vice. I've had my trans am for the better part of 20 years and am VERY familiar with them. Tire sizing would be interesting though. The stock 16s are usually a 245 but those hankooks only come in a 225. We could stay in class c with the 16s or step up to a 17 and run class b. However, the factory tank is under 16 gallons so we'd either run a fuel cell for class b or stick with class c. Few different options with that one.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/23/22 1:53 p.m.

Familiarity and desire from the world-headquarters would certainly be a strong selling point. It's probably worth getting more details and finding out how far it is from race ready, namely on the safety front, to determine what cost/effort it would take to get it the rest of the way there. The counter point being that addition to being smaller, lighter, and cheaper, the RX7 sounds like it's preatty much ready to race for the season once the engine is reinstalled... And it's not like it has to stay rotary powered forever.

I'm doubtful that either engine is likely to have the fuel capacity vs consumption to run a full 2 hours in class C, and both have undersize fuel tanks for class B that might not make running there much better. I may very well be wrong, but it also doesn't look like either cars included engine has been widely successful in any amateur endurance racing series. So on that front, it's kind of a toss up to me at this point.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/24/22 9:49 p.m.

Any PNW'erners who haven't already been contacted and have any thoughts that joining (or helping) a GRM Enduro team might be something you'd be interested in at any level, please speak up. While it's never going to be 'cheap', we want to look for ways to make this as accessible as possible for all of us, and one of those is getting more people involved.

MaxC
MaxC Reader
2/25/22 1:04 p.m.

I'm located near Salem, OR. My build thread is on this forum.  Built the car myself in 2019 and raced in 2020-2021.  While all my free time goes to my own car (pretty much a one man show apart from race day), I'd be happy to give my input and answer questions for a new team getting started.  

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/25/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to MaxC :

I'll definitely be in touch to pick your brain. Thanks!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/9/22 11:54 a.m.

I understand hankook has pulled their involvement as they were misled as to who was involved in the venture.

Also the 1st race has been cancelled and there's lawyers involved.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade at all,just passing along info to make others aware before plans are made/money paid for running this series.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 12:14 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I understand hankook has pulled their involvement as they were misled as to who was involved in the venture.

Also the 1st race has been cancelled and there's lawyers involved.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade at all,just passing along info to make others aware before plans are made/money paid for running this series.

Called it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 12:18 p.m.
RevolutionRacing said:

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Hankook is our tire sponsor. they built a page specifically for us for our racers to buy tires from.. www.rrltires.com. 

Which no longer works because they are not your sponsor...

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/9/22 1:12 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Your consideration is definitely appreciated. Even late May and early June would probably be overly optimistic at this point anyway so we can wait to see how events continue to play out. Regardless of whether it's growing pains or a death knell, we'll still have Lucky Dog to play with. The true 24 in Spokane would be great though!

MaxC
MaxC Reader
3/9/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Hey just a thought, I have a friend selling a nearly race-ready Mazda Protege. It would definitely be an easy button for a new enduro team. Very cheap, reliable, race proven for 10+ years. Probably the cheapest way you can possibly get started. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/9/22 1:50 p.m.

In reply to MaxC :

We've got the people committed, but are still in the process of figuring out the car situation. So I'm all ears for viable options. Please shoot me a message with contact info and/or details!

RRLChris
RRLChris New Reader
3/15/22 1:51 p.m.
Javelin said:
RevolutionRacing said:

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Hankook is our tire sponsor. they built a page specifically for us for our racers to buy tires from.. www.rrltires.com. 

Which no longer works because they are not your sponsor...

Interesting because that is not what the contract says. Thanks for the heads up...I'll have to connect with them.

There has been substantial effort to derail the birth of this series. This is not the livelihood of any of the partners and we are not looking to make it our livelihood. This is why we are offering things like cash prizes and race credits. We are also not looking to eliminate the existence of any other series. Our intent is to coexist with all others in the regional racing community. We simply want to offer a different endurance racing experience for racers in the northwest, as we have heard from teams they would be interested in other options. If there proves to be no demand for an alternative then we will assess and move along....pretty simple. If racers are interested in another option they will have to come out and give us a try. If they don't they won't have options.

birdmayne
3/15/22 1:58 p.m.

If you build it, they will come. I know of at LEAST 1 team who would show.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/15/22 2:49 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Easy win if no one else shows devil

1 2 3 4 5

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
0OSxwAdl0uMn7GphMryg7evG6co3NM4Wc70GM4FPX5u0DXJVQzcn6kCMbAnejJKN