1 2
_
_ Dork
2/23/20 9:02 p.m.

https://jalopnik.com/this-hyundai-concept-could-be-the-sporty-ev-prophecy-fo-1841678813

looks really Porsche like from the view we get. I am liking this idea though. I've been saying ever since EV cars came out that they should be more organic in shape and harken back to the era when cars had personality and look like art

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/24/20 5:09 a.m.

Sure would like to see more. I like what I see for sure.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/24/20 6:30 a.m.

In reply to _ :

EV's will end up having to be more aerodynamic than gas cars.  Until there's that quantum change in battery tech.

If you find low aero cars to be artistic, then you will be very happy.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/24/20 7:44 a.m.

I really like what I see so far.

alfadriversaid:

EV's will end up having to be more aerodynamic than gas cars.  Until there's that quantum change in battery tech.

Coming from a design professional in the automotive industry, that comment makes me sad.  It sounds like a combination of "We don't have to try our best to make aero efficient cars because we have ICE",  "All EV's have to be ugly", and "We are not gonna work too hard to improve battery tech until somebody makes us"

That's the kind of thinking from major automakers that has made Tesla significant. 

There is an awful lot of artistic potential in low aero cars.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/24/20 7:53 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Lot of incorrect assumptions there.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/24/20 8:05 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

No assumptions at all. I was sharing what it sounds like to me. That’s EXACTLY what it sounds like.

Maybe you’d like to reword it so it communicates more accurately?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/24/20 8:32 a.m.

Right now the roads are filled trucks and crossovers that all look pretty much the same to me.  If EVs bring more exciting styling, that's an upside I wasn't expecting but would be happy to see.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/20 8:33 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to _ :

EV's will end up having to be more aerodynamic than gas cars.  Until there's that quantum change in battery tech.

I took this comment as:  there is still more work to do on the drivetrain and battery side before the cars can be made more appealing to the eye.

I didn't read anywhere that anybody is giving up on anything or that they are not trying.

People have been designing and styling the outside of cars for their entire existence.  Ev drivetrain have only really been worked on for the last 10 or so years.  

It makes sense that the drivetrain will lag behind for a while.  During this time, people know how to help the drivetrain by designing aerodynamic bodies.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/24/20 8:54 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to alfadriver :

No assumptions at all. I was sharing what it sounds like to me. That’s EXACTLY what it sounds like.

Maybe you’d like to reword it so it communicates more accurately?

Again, you make assumptions to make it sound the way you want it to sound.  Good for you.

No, I don't wish to debate what my point is.  You will read into what I post the way you want to read it anyway.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/24/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

No interest in debating anything whatsoever.

Did you look at the link?  Because you didn't actually comment on the car, you only made a generic critical remark.

Eric, what you are missing is that I really respect your opinion and value your input.  You are far more knowledgeable than me.  But a dismissive generic comment really doesn't contribute to the conversation.

The car is being introduced in a week.  There is a picture of it.  Apparently it exists.  The article says it is low aero, stylish, and EV.  You say that doesn't exist yet, because we don't have the battery technology for it.  Looks like a conflict.

I'd be very interested in your input on the car, and the article.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/20 9:14 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to _ :

I took this comment as:  there is still more work to do on the drivetrain and battery side before the cars can be made more appealing to the eye.

I didn't read anywhere that anybody is giving up on anything or that they are not trying.

People have been designing and styling the outside of cars for their entire existence.  Ev drivetrain have only really been worked on for the last 10 or so years.  

It makes sense that the drivetrain will lag behind for a while.  During this time, people know how to help the drivetrain by designing aerodynamic bodies.

That's exactly how I read it as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 9:18 a.m.

EVs are just working harder to be efficient than ICE cars. Range is a major selling point for mass-market EVs so aero and rolling resistance is being taken seriously. Other than maybe a bit more cooling for the ICE, the same laws of aerodynamics apply. If fuel economy becomes of paramount importance for mass-market ICE vehicles, we'll see the same move towards ultra-efficient aero.

I specified "mass market" because Porsche is focusing elsewhere. There's a significant difference in EPA range between the Taycan and its competitors, so they're banking on other attributes to be competitive. I think that's a first for an EV other than a couple of ultra-low production supercars.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/24/20 9:24 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to alfadriver :

No interest in debating anything whatsoever.

Did you look at the link?  Because you didn't actually comment on the car, you only made a generic critical remark.

Eric, what you are missing is that I really respect your opinion and value your input.  You are far more knowledgeable than me.  But a dismissive generic comment really doesn't contribute to the conversation.

The car is being introduced in a week.  There is a picture of it.  Apparently it exists.  The article says it is low aero, stylish, and EV.  You say that doesn't exist yet, because we don't have the battery technology for it.  Looks like a conflict.

I'd be very interested in your input on the car, and the article.

I read the article now, and would not change a word in my post.  I was not being dismissive, I was just stating things as they are progressing.  You are just assuming I am being dismissive.  I would word it as "short."

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 9:25 a.m.

the problem with Hybrids and EV styling is that we have let one company lay the groundwork for everyone else. With a few notable exceptions, Toyota does not exactly build cars that light your fire upon first seeing them. All the EVs except for those from Porsche and Tesla have followed in the wake of the rather ugly Prius because that is what people want. ICE cars have also followed suit to try to pick up some green cred as well. 

The big exception to that trend are the big pickups and SUVs.. and even some of them are aping it as best they can.

It is hopeful that cars like "the prophesy" can bring classic beauty back to the automotive world

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/24/20 9:52 a.m.
alfadriver said:

EV's will end up having to be more aerodynamic than gas cars. 

EV's don't, and won't, "have" to be anything. There is always a choice to be made. Certainly not all EV's have been more aerodynamic than gas cars up to this point, and I see no obvious reason(s) that the foreseeable future would be terribly different.

Of course, I also believe that it's still entirely possible for aerodynamic cars to have have distinctive styling too...But it requires both the desire and willingness to do so.

I definitely see promise in what little of this concept has been revealed so far.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/20 10:00 a.m.

Looks interesting. Certainly aero is important for EVs, but there are other factors. Remember how early EVs came with narrow, rock-hard tires? In time the manufacturers figured out that giving up a bit of range in favor of a better handling, more enjoyable car was worth it.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/20 10:02 a.m.

Also, " organic" forms aren't necessarily the pinnacle of aero. Look at the generic Prius profile for instance.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/20 10:05 a.m.

_
_ Dork
2/24/20 1:49 p.m.

I don't know why y'all are blowing each other up here. It's a sports car. Even with a competent ICE this thing wouldn't have great range.

Eff range. give me style. Range be damned. When I want range I'll reach for the keys that do it. When I want a fun, and shapely EV, I'll reach for the... um... do EVs still have keys?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/24/20 2:06 p.m.

I love my MR2, but driving my Volt during the winter has spoiled me. It's so amazingly convenient and the driving style is pretty dang satisfying for an economy sedan. I look forward to EV powered fun cars. Every time I look at cars now I think, "But it's not electric..." That's been a huge shift for me just over the last few months and it's striking how quickly and thoroughly it happened.

I'm not saying I'll never buy a gas powered car again, but I'm unlikely to NOT have an electric again.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/24/20 7:29 p.m.

“Prophecy does not follow trends. It accentuates timeless beauty that will stand the test of time,” said SangYup Lee, Head of Hyundai Global Design Center. “Its iconic design stands to expand Hyundai’s design spectrum toward even broader horizons.”

Cool story, confuciusbro.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
2/24/20 7:43 p.m.
dculberson said:

I love my MR2, but driving my Volt during the winter has spoiled me. It's so amazingly convenient and the driving style is pretty dang satisfying for an economy sedan. I look forward to EV powered fun cars. Every time I look at cars now I think, "But it's not electric..." That's been a huge shift for me just over the last few months and it's striking how quickly and thoroughly it happened.

I'm not saying I'll never buy a gas powered car again, but I'm unlikely to NOT have an electric again.

+1,000,000! Couldn't have said it better myself. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/3/20 2:01 p.m.

It's now seen the light of day:

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/3/20 3:05 p.m.

I like it. 

A LOT.

Very much has a funky 911/Panamera vibe to it.

wae
wae UltraDork
3/3/20 3:09 p.m.

Not a fan, personally.  I don't like how from the profile view it just sort of keeps curving down to nothing.  Almost like someone picked it up and bent it.  It reminds me of the Merc CL and CLS cars that I hate for the same reason.  And I'm really not sure what's up with that rear fascia, but they need to fix that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NaiW3vGbEIXYK1jhCIEhTorilQSYsOhUIfPY4dSakiMK8zCPxilk3fRBShCtR0gp