1 2 3 ... 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/21 7:42 a.m.
feature_image

We’re putting the band back together. 

BSI Racing worked on our 1992 Miata back in the day, and that’s the shop going through the car as we get it back on the road after an eight-year slumber

Ed Senf tuned the Miata some 20 years ago. Let’s just say that we have been chatting lately. 

We used Moss …

Read the rest of the story

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/15/21 7:45 a.m.

Sorry, but the white ones look better.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/21 7:56 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Keeping white wheels clean is no fun, Kosei needs to make them in bronze (not gold) 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/15/21 8:08 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

When I was younger, I used to be all about black wheels, but now that I'm slightly older, I've realized there is something cool about bronze wheels.

I second that white wheels are a pain to keep clean, but maybe that's where the appeal comes from. You see someone with white wheels, and you'll say to yourself "wow, that person spent a lot of time to keep those clean."

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/15/21 8:22 a.m.

I had silver wheels like that on my red 93 miata. I loved how they looked and how easy it was to clean them with such large openings between the spokes.

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 8:25 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Sorry, but the white ones look better.

Warren Martin,'99 Miata,'03 CooperS,'91 GTI 16V,06 Scion Xb ,73 Corolla SR5, 2019 GMC Canyon

It's funny, but there was some debate on color. The photo at the bottom--with the hood up--was taken about 30 seconds after I first saw the Miata on the black wheels. I admit, it took my breath away. The stance, the look, the whole thing. 

Put me down as a big, big fan of bronze/gold as well. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/15/21 11:19 a.m.

Kosei K1 are by far the coolest light wheels out there!  I have one set for my 1G DSM, and looking for another set for my NA Miata.  

If you need a center cap, look into a 3D printed one to save some money over the hard to find Kosei caps.  RaceTruckRon here helped with printing some in resin for me, and I could also print some up on high temp PLA or PETG.  They will need to be removed before track days, as would any center cap, due to the high heat.

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 11:26 a.m.

Glad to see another K1 fan out there. I was going through some old photos the the other night and came across this one.

Thanks for the tip re. 3D printed center caps, too. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/15/21 11:29 a.m.

Why clean wheels when you can just plasti-dip them gunmetal?

Gunmetal/anthracite is just another color code for "brake dust".

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Someone needs to make a wheel that comes in white, black and brake dust. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/15/21 12:01 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Where can you order anthracite, other than dipyourcar? Actually their prices are pretty good.  We did our pathfinder in anthracite and they hold up excellent.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/anthracite-grey-wheel-kit

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 12:06 p.m.

I love K1s.  I used to have a white set.  They seem a little outdated today because they are only in narrow sizes (correct me if I am wrong here).

IIRC due to the hub design I had to use special lugnuts that required a 17mm wrench instead of the open ended GM style I used on everything else.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/21 12:12 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Keeping white wheels clean is no fun, Kosei needs to make them in bronze (not gold) 

Kosei needs to make them in 15x9 is what Kosei needs  to do.

Also not a fan of black wheels.  Too dull, hides the detail, and no contrast from the tires.  For that matter, not a fan of black cars.

I do, however, love love love K1s.  I sold my set to my niece for her NB Miata when I went wider.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 12:13 p.m.
Duke said:

Kosei needs to make them in 15x9 is what Kosei needs to do.

Yep.  8's and 9's.

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I'll pass along that request.  

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/15/21 3:39 p.m.

Great wheels. My preference would be a polished lip with anthracite centers. That is probably too much to ask. 

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 4:06 p.m.

Just came across this in the photo archives. Date taken: October 4, 2001.

Followed two frames later by:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/21 4:14 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

Great wheels. My preference would be a polished lip with anthracite centers. That is probably too much to ask. 

That look puts you in a certain age bracket :) I'm there too.

The K1 predates the real introduction of 8" and 9" wheels on Miatas. It's easy to forget just how long it's been around. Well, it was before David started posting pictures of them taken almost two decades ago :) It would be cool to see them in wider sizes.

matt147
matt147 New Reader
1/15/21 5:06 p.m.

K1s have been one of my favorite wheels since I first saw them on a friend's B13 SE-R back in the 90s.  I had 15" on my NA Miata and now I have 17" on my ND Miata:

The K1 is cool....  now bust out with some cans of bronze wheel paint and make them as cool as they look.

22quack
22quack
1/15/21 5:53 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yea, I reeeeally wanted these wheels, but 15x8 is definitely the way to go for 205 tires.  205 RE71Rs and 205 A052s both performed 0.3-0.5 seconds faster on my 15x7.5 6ULs compared to my 15x7 SSR Type Cs in nearly identical conditions (back to back HPDE sessions).  I haven't had a chance to test on 15x8 yet, but Miata forums are saying it's even faster, so I'm looking forward to it.

David S. Wallens
1/15/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to tester (Forum Supporter) :

I hear ya but I'm afraid here it would look weird since the spoke goes almost all the way to the rim. And, you know, I can't recall ever seeing two-tone K1s. Anyone?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/15/21 6:49 p.m.
engiekev said:
Olemiss540 said:

Where can you order anthracite, other than dipyourcar? Actually their prices are pretty good.  We did our pathfinder in anthracite and they hold up excellent.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/anthracite-grey-wheel-kit

Yup. I dipped my car brake dust anthracite. Merely to reduce the number of washes necessary per season....

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/15/21 7:00 p.m.

They look great in plain silver too. I should really wash them though. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 7:21 p.m.
matt147 said:

K1s have been one of my favorite wheels since I first saw them on a friend's B13 SE-R back in the 90s.  I had 15" on my NA Miata and now I have 17" on my ND Miata:

Very nice.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LBHRBj5puNgxmI7aYZsLCy7sThDo6CB00eyakRFlRGVTAGoNlNdn7Ph4AImbzWr8