David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/21 12:05 p.m.
feature_image

Before we put our Miata back on the road, we made it presentable, removing the filth so that little kids wouldn’t scream.

But we knew it could look better.

Now was the time for that deeper clean. We got the interior looking good, but the paint still needed love.

When it comes to detailing a car, there are different levels …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/11/21 2:39 p.m.

PS: That's original paint, too. smiley

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/17/21 7:56 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm still using the method, used by Tim, of avoiding washing my Z with soap and water and using microfibers and spray detailer instead, much easier on the car and me. I still use some car wash soap and water if the car has become really grimy (rarely), but I love the detailer method, along with clay bar on occasion.

David S. Wallens
9/27/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

Yeah, figure if his cleaning recipe is good enough for vintage Ferraris, it's good enough for our cars.

If a car is muddy or covered with gritty dirt, yeah, break out the bucket. But it's amazing what you can do with some fluffy microfiber towels and today's quick detailer products. (For a quick detailer comparison test, check out our test over on the Classic Motorsports site.)

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/21 10:53 a.m.

Totally agree David. I only did 2 full car washes this year. Mostly because 500+ dead bugs on the car. 

David S. Wallens
9/27/21 2:49 p.m.

I have found this stuff to do a good job of removing (dead) bugs. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/21 3:53 p.m.

Taking note of that now that I'm in the bug infested Midwest again. 

Found it. They actually rebranded it to Machinist Mate. Got a bottle on the way. 

David S. Wallens
9/28/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Cool, glad you found it. I admit, my bottle is old. It does seem to work at removing bugs, though. 

David S. Wallens
9/29/21 10:27 a.m.

My wife did a bit of highway driving this weekend, and last night I noticed all of the dead bugs. Yeah, that Splat Bug Remover does the trick: spray, give it a few seconds to work, and then wipe away with a microfiber. It seems to dissolve their little bodies. sad 

Then I went over everything with some quick detailers. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ruebR6I9szRWPoQeOhjYHOTGU9tnBpTUUQpITRoaFDfWcsZITBhrEe2mk0SA4fPX