David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/12 11:31 a.m.

Our rebuilt Porsche engine is doing quite nicely:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/day-out-porsche/

And don't worry, more tech to come soon.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
5/7/12 12:18 p.m.

Just curious if you've calculated out the total repair/maintenance costs since picking up the 911? There are a few bills listed through the updates, but missing the figures on the bigger stuff (unless I missed it). What did the top end refresh end costing?

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/7/12 12:27 p.m.

Yeah, I agree with that. I doubt there's anybody on this board that hasn't REALLY wanted a 911 at one time or another. But there are many of us that have owned one (not me) or have worked on them professionally (me) that would now never want one. The maintenance/repair costs are legendary. Is that legend or myth?

David S. Wallens
5/7/12 11:14 p.m.

Don't worry, we'll detail all of the costs in the magazine series. Short answer, parts haven't been too bad.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/8/12 6:15 a.m.

911 maintenance isn't any better or worse than a BMW or Mercedes of the same era. In fact, they are simpler cars, so they may even be less expensive.

Major services, however, are where they get costly. An engine rebuild is generally a "I hope you're sitting down for this." type of repair.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/12 8:15 a.m.

David - The pictures show quite an interesting mix of automotive hardware. Is the event you attended a "coffee and cars" affair?

David S. Wallens
5/8/12 11:30 a.m.

Yes, that's a cars and coffee meet regularly held just outside of Orlando, Florida. Details: http://www.orlandoautomotiveclub.com/

They get a neat mix of cars. I mainly go because it's a chance to see friends and catch up. Plus the place that hosts it serves good BBQ.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RwWJJWjCf1L7jTgHvXXYCbq6vRCv7GqFU9Y7ueuyXPAq0UUtRqLmUrFbldjIm1SZ