1 2 3 4 ... 6
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/2/16 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Thanks for picking up what I was laying down.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/16 9:05 p.m.

How about a Dodge Dart - a '74?

Seriously though, my employer had a Quest as a company runabout. It was a pleasant appliance. I always thought it had a nice character line down the side that made it look like a GTP car with too much greenhouse. It's my first choice for a chop top car.

Good luck with your search.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/2/16 9:33 p.m.
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
3/2/16 9:39 p.m.

I'm pretty certain Colin Chapman said that rust adds lightness.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/3/16 6:31 a.m.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/16604806?searchId=2063446953

should be super cheap...

There are a bunch on there with minimal damage....

http://www.copart.com/us/search?companyCode_vf=US&Sort=zip&LotTypes=V&YearFrom=2004&YearTo=2010&Make=NISS&ModelGroups=QUEST&RadioGroup=Zip%2FPostal+Code&YardNumber=&States=&PostalCode=32266&Distance=99999&searchTitle=2004-2010%2CNISS%2CQUEST%2C32266&cn=2004-2010%2CNISS%2CQUEST%2Czip

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/16 3:09 p.m.
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/3/16 6:28 a.m.

The weather here is starting to kick into high gear and the quest for Quest needs to as well.

Objective restated...

JohnRW1621 wrote: I have made my decision that I think I would like my steed of choice for the $2016 Challenge, Soccer Mom Class to be a 2004+ Nissan Quest. I think the single greatest challenge that I will face is actually finding the van under budget given that this is a pretty current model. That is why I am posting here and trying to harness the power of the entire hive to find the right one. I am located in Northern Ohio so that puts me square in the rust belt and I would rather not buy here. I much prefer something from south of The Mason-Dixon. I choose this vehicle because I hope that after The Challenge, it can continue to serve me in a family/business capacity though I do expect that it will initially be purchased in rough condition. I can accept that roughness as long as that roughness does not include "really rusty." The perfect van could be high miles though preferred if not needing an engine/trans swap or priced accordingly if it does. Very rough interior is acceptable. Much of the interior will be pulled for the event and if after the event when the interior returns, if I have to replace seats leaving me with front seats that don't match rear seats; that's perfectly fine. Needing some paint work and or really minor body work is fine too. One with bad tires/brakes would also be great as a way to keep purchase price low. This vehicle will also need a title since it will be a road-going vehicle. I know the first year of these vans have some issues and one is that they have odometers (LCD) that fail. I have learned there is a fix but I am okay with "miles unknown." I think the earliest were also known for bad timing chain tensioner/guides also. What more can you tell me about this Quest? Can you find one for sub $2k in your area? Other title considerations were: Quest Love Learn me: Quest Find me: Quest A fools Quest PM might not get right to me so... jwelsh02......yahoo
failboat
failboat UberDork
5/3/16 6:51 a.m.

a little above budget
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5565348469.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5543637359.html

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/3/16 7:08 a.m.

Family Auto Mart in Melbourne. A notoriously seedy local used car lot.

https://youtu.be/n3Hl6PrK46Q

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/3/16 8:51 a.m.

A little above, but looking for trades: http://holland.craigslist.org/bar/5520237939.html

jstand
jstand HalfDork
5/3/16 3:54 p.m.

Its even beige:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5567255879.html

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/3/16 5:24 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Family Auto Mart in Melbourne. A notoriously seedy local used car lot. https://youtu.be/n3Hl6PrK46Q

Hah! I kmow that place. Its even sketchier in person.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/12/16 8:12 p.m.

The "prize" has been acquired! Far from perfect.

CL Ad said: Selling this van. Gotta go asap. Runs good. Odometer not showing digital numbers properly. But i know it's got approximately 145000 miles on it dince the last time i was driving n calculting between oil changes. Needs 2 new tires n alignment and fix the stabilizer. I am being very honest. It still drives really good. Just a lot of details to fix, don't wanna waste my money. It could be a good start-up or first car for someone who really needs it or who knows how to work with car fix it. Needs some minor cosmetic fixes outside. Inside is in fair condition, needs lil bit cleaning coz I wasn't using for a while since I got other vehicles. Gotta go quick, won't wait too long. I'm asking $1850/OBO. Serious enqueries only contact me please!!!!!

Desperation, a rough interior, bad tires, miles unknown and a code for misfire in #5 (coil?, plug?) resulted in $1,200 purchase.
Also a rebuilt title 6 years ago. Same owner for the past 7 years.

Pics from ad:

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/12/16 8:17 p.m.

Booosst.

Some needs to do a "de la Kia Soul".

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/16 8:52 p.m.

Jonny's Quest.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/12/16 9:40 p.m.

That's the second reference to Jonny Quest so when registration opens...

I just pulled up Wiki on Jonny Quest and I had no idea that the voice actor of young Jonny Quest grew up to be Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman, aka Otter in Animal House.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/16 10:19 p.m.

Sweeeeeeeet.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/16 7:54 a.m.

Excellent! I look forward to your plans.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/16 10:58 a.m.

Great news!

Also, that van has the most hideous dashboard ever!

t25torx
t25torx Dork
5/13/16 12:21 p.m.

That would have been my pick for a van also. I think you're starting with the best engine here. now just strip it out, makes some crazy thin fiberglass panels to replace anything steel. Replace the pana-roof with thin lexan and a huge wing over the back. Call it a day

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
5/13/16 1:31 p.m.

Where on earth did you find a deal like that...

I sure take out an ad in the magazine, "official supplier of the GRM challenge since 1999".

Or perhaps "jacksonville it's the new atlanta!"

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/13/16 1:43 p.m.

Everything in that photo is a "race car", not just the Fiero.

S10 for $2017
Parkinglot build Fiero from $2014
Soccer Mom Class Quest for $2016
TrailerParkCet Firebird for $2016

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/13/16 1:56 p.m.

Somehow I missed this first time around. My wife's best friend had (actually, I think she may still have) a Quest of that year that could have been gotten cheap. I almost offered her $100 for it, but couldn't justify a random car to SWMBO....

However, hers was falling a apart. Had been well used and abused. The biggest being the timing chain issue. Being a good GRM'r, I'm sure you've already researched and learned about the timing chain issues on these cars, but in case you haven't, it's worth looking. IIRC, there were plastic guides that would go bad resulting in the chain smacking around. If it was caught beforehand, no worries.

Something to keep an eye on and check.

-Rob

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/13/16 2:13 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis:

Tell me more.
Sure, I'm committed to this Quest shown above but I could sell it an recoup what I have into it.

Yes, I know of the plastic chain guide issue. Are you saying the the Quest you know of has had the chain guides replaced or has not had them replaced?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/13/16 2:44 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to rob_lewis: Tell me more. Sure, I'm committed to this Quest shown above but I could sell it an recoup what I have into it. Yes, I know of the plastic chain guide issue. Are you saying the the Quest you know of has had the chain guides replaced or has not had them replaced?

Not replaced. Basically, destroying the engine. She was not....uh....savvy on making repairs or doing upkeep on the car in general. Kinda the poster child for running a car into the ground. The dealer quoted a really high price to "fix" it and she just wanted to be "done" with it. I started thinking about picking it up cheap and having some fun with it. But, when I found out about the plastic guides and the symptoms of severe failure (she had them all), I backed off quickly.

From the looks of it, you bought a very decent example. From what I can remember on hers, the sliding door was broken, interior looked like a gang of drunk orangutans lived in it for a year, it rattled like death, transmission was slipping, shocks were shot, etc. At least the brakes were good, though. She had run them down to the pistons and was incredulous at how much she had to pay to get them fixed.......

Interestingly, when the soccer mom challenge first started, the Quest was one of the first vans I thought about since the engine is the same as a Maxima.

-Rob

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V5GoKcOQBonmkthkbxR69t80Wp1OPZSPGhMyQO8AT91yQBFCeROkfzNwRXyGNiDC