wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/18 5:22 a.m.
canopygrl
canopygrl New Reader
10/19/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Indy, 

My friends and I are embarking on the same project as the and we are starting the search for the engine and trans as well.... I'd love to collaborate with you if you don't mind!  But it won't let me direct contact you

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/19/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

That thread on RX8Club is painful.  The negativity towards the swapper is almost too much.  At the same time the actual information shared by the guy doing the Isuzu swap keeps me reading.

EDIT:  Made it to maybe the 13th page and closed the tab.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/19/18 11:43 a.m.

I always thought a Nissan KA-24 engine would be a good swap into a TR4. 

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/18 12:07 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

Those RX8 guys are vicious!! I only made it to the 5th page.  Reading that thread makes me want to add weird piston engines to an RX8 even more.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/19/18 1:08 p.m.

3SGE BEAMS.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/18 2:02 p.m.

I remember reading that Isuzu V6 - RX8 thread back when I was looking for Datsaniti's powertrain donor. Poor guy, trying to do something innovative and getting E36 M3 on. 

I came very close to buying an Axiom (higher output with direct injection - very advanced for its time). Then the G35 popped up which has a better V6 in every possible way.

I highly recommend finding a G35 donor car. I can walk/talk you through the wiring. It's really not that bad now that I've done it, but you need the whole donor car (body computers) for the engine to start without paying for an ECM tune.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/19/18 2:29 p.m.

I think a TR4 would be better off with an inline four due to packaging into the car being easier to deal with, and they just kind of seem link they should stay inline four powered.  A K24DE seems nice, or maybe something a bit newer like Ford Duratec out of a late Ranger or MX-5.  Dark horse Mazda FE out of a first-gen Kia Sportage perhaps?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/18 3:06 p.m.

Re: The RX-8 guy/ Isuzu V-6...

Yeah, those guys are idiots, but the O.P. rocks, and presents great info. I want to do one of those V-6s someday, I mean, 4 bolt mains, TONS of transmission choices, The engine was built by Honda, and they sold millions of them, and they are largely unloved. I understand they react well to boost, also

Back to Indyguy, though. One question: could you go back stock? These cars are valuable. I know its no fun, but they are a great driving experience as delivered. 

Any way to drive it again would be excellent. TRs of any sort are great.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/19/18 3:28 p.m.

Yeah, that Isuzu V6 offers a lot as a swap candidate.  I keep thinking mk1 Ford Capri with a W58 would be great, at least on paper.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/18 4:07 p.m.

I have done this swap before, Rover V8 fit's fine and the weight is less than the 4 cylinder so the handling balance is great. I also have the solid axle setup with a T5 and find 1st gear to be worthless. I get lot's of axle windup, have tried to fix it so many times but have not been successful yet (ladder bars, pinon snubber). I will have the body back off the frame early next year and will fix it once and for all. With a cam, revs to 6,500 and sounds amazing, just need to get it rolling first.....

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/18/19 7:05 p.m.

I found a potential donor car.  I just got home from looking a 1994 Mustang GT with manual transmission.  He's asking $750, but I think I can grab it for $650, maybe 600.  It's a convertible, with leaking top, stored outside, so the interior is trashed.  Car fired up with a few shots of starting fluid and then ran for several minutes.  I was all ready to pay his asking price, until I checked fluids.  Oil looks good and normal.  open radiator cap and there is brown, rust colored foam. sad frown  I'm not entirely conviced its not just rust, perhaps a head gasket blown?  Is it worth taking a gamble on this one, or should I hold out?  Thoughts?

btw it sounds REALLY good with the flowmaster's currently installed.  No engine noises at all.

Edit, it's a 1995, not 94. Still 5.0 engine.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/18/19 8:06 p.m.

Go for a 2.2 or 2.4 ecotec, lots of tr6 cars have done this

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Like was it actively bubbling or just latent foam?

I wouldn't be too worried about it for that price. It's probably just 15 year old coolant.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/19 9:29 p.m.

I love how Ford V8s sound. 94 is the older 5.0 right?  Should be narrower but how's the weight on them?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/18/19 9:51 p.m.

Weight will be almost the same as the 4 cyl. TR engine. The Brits never figured out thin wall iron casting.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/18/19 9:52 p.m.
Robbie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Like was it actively bubbling or just latent foam?

I wouldn't be too worried about it for that price. It's probably just 15 year old coolant.

Just foam.  No bubbling

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/18/19 9:52 p.m.
Stampie said:

I love how Ford V8s sound. 94 is the older 5.0 right?  Should be narrower but how's the weight on them?

Yes sir. 5.0. as in Vanilla ice.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/19/19 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

In my opinion, $750 is totally worth the gamble. Even if you have to buy a gasket kit.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/19/19 12:24 p.m.

Odometer reads 86,xxx miles. Probably worth the gamble right? Any other opinions?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/19/19 12:32 p.m.

Do it. The Ford is a better size fit than Buick or SBC options, weighs about the same as the TR lump. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/19/19 2:10 p.m.

Update.  I just texted the seller.  We have an agreement. Purchase price of $650. I'm arranging to pick it up Friday. I guess I have to start that build thread now.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/19/19 8:43 p.m.

SWEET! Let me know when the build party is.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/20/19 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Will do, but I got to get it home first..... that is, if it actually happens.  Seller is getting a bit flaky.  With the absence of the huge storm that was predicted (we were supposed to get 8" only got about 1")  I called the seller to see If I could arrange to go grab it today..... No go on his end.... aaaaannnnnd now all of a sudden he wants a $400 deposit (I was willing to do a $100).  I asked if he would give me a call to talk specifics (negotiations always go better talking on the phone vs. text) and I have yet to here from him.

Below is a pic of the car in all its (cough) glory:

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/24/19 12:15 p.m.

215 raging horsepower?  OK, whatever floats your boat, but a 400 bhp Ecotec 4 banger would look nicer and more traditional in there and would get 30 mpg too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jZLce2eLs0kcEiHy95GJ2EwoRoiYxfUSJBk3x69G84hwa3WFfiHrkRR27DtE7dcZ