Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/22 6:20 p.m.

I swore I found these on ebay a month or so back but now I can only find the rear calipers.  Anyone here have a line on a set of good fronts?  It's for the Challenge so I'm wanting good ones.  Hell I'll take the budget hit with non OEM if you guys know of something that'll work.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/22 6:24 p.m.

What years are that? '81-'86?

Stampie
10/1/22 6:27 p.m.

82-85

Mr_Asa
10/1/22 6:33 p.m.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234514663971

So that's one side.  Unfortunately he's sold the front passenger side

Stampie
10/1/22 6:43 p.m.

Ok that's one side but looking at the car I'm not so sure about the condition.  Might buy it anyway because apparently these are rare as unicorn farts.

Mr_Asa
10/1/22 6:46 p.m.

Yeah, no E36 M3 there.  That car needs help.

Would a rebuild kit help?

Mr_Asa
10/1/22 6:49 p.m.

Are you 100% sure that '86 won't work?  Cause Rockauto starts to have some stuff under that year.

Also, can you supply a part number?

Stampie
10/1/22 6:51 p.m.

19-B540

19-B541

That's left and right.

Stampie
10/1/22 6:53 p.m.

Realized I didn't check NAPA because of NAPA tax.  They're out of stock also.

Mr_Asa
10/1/22 6:56 p.m.
Stampie
10/1/22 7:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Ok that's an option.  Thanks.

Stampie
10/1/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Rock Auto has all the Cressida stuff in stock.  I'd have to take a $180ish budget hit but might be worth it unless something stock shows up.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/22 9:21 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Rock Auto has all the Cressida stuff in stock.  I'd have to take a $180ish budget hit but might be worth it unless something stock shows up.

How much Cressida suspension do you have to have before your brakes are budget exempt by the "Duplicate" clause:

2000challenge/rules says:

“Duplicate” is defined as having the same listed application in a major parts catalog as the part being replaced. Stock replacement is defined as having the Challenge car’s year, make, model, and trim listed as an application in a major parts catalog, or, if non-OEM front and/or rear subframes/axles/hubs/knuckles are used, the year, make, model, and trim of the donor vehicle listed as an application in a major parts catalog.

if Cressida hubs and knuckles are interchangeable with Supra (I'd cite Hollander interchange guide as a "major parts catalog") then *i think* your Cressida brakes are budget exempt.

you're welcome.

Stampie
10/2/22 2:51 p.m.

I reread Mr_Asa's website and realized I needed the Cressida hubs for the conversion.  Grabed those today and will order the rest of the Cressida brake parts tonight.

Mr_Asa
10/2/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Well I'm glad you read it in time to snag those.

Mr_Asa
10/2/22 4:52 p.m.
Stampie
10/2/22 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It better work.  I'm about to spend more on brake parts than I did on the car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/3/22 2:14 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

How much Cressida suspension do you have to have before your brakes are budget exempt by the "Duplicate" clause:

2000challenge/rules says:

“Duplicate” is defined as having the same listed application in a major parts catalog as the part being replaced. Stock replacement is defined as having the Challenge car’s year, make, model, and trim listed as an application in a major parts catalog, or, if non-OEM front and/or rear subframes/axles/hubs/knuckles are used, the year, make, model, and trim of the donor vehicle listed as an application in a major parts catalog.

if Cressida hubs and knuckles are interchangeable with Supra (I'd cite Hollander interchange guide as a "major parts catalog") then *i think* your Cressida brakes are budget exempt.

you're welcome.

Not to be pedantic but being pedantic, does the rule mean you have to use all of those things?   Seems to read that you would need:

front subframe

front hubs

front knuckles

unless the /'s mean "or"...   feels like they usually mean "also" or "and" 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

unless the /'s mean "or"...   feels like they usually mean "also" or "and" 

I took them as "or" because on the front end of a RWD there is no axle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4DHk5gEcsWNgNwaku5mteLoLfXuxMd6FTFOo54YvHguWmC2DPxbPkAmIGuYksLGT