1 2 3 4 5
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
7/2/08 1:46 p.m.

Nice work and congrats to both! Can't wait to see it.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
7/17/08 10:45 p.m.

We had to get a scoop on the car to cover the hole in the deck from the aircleaner. We didn't have money in the budjet for the $500 judson scoop. I went out to the Dollar store trying to find something resemballing a scoop. I came home with 2 garbage cans. I cut them down to make 2 versions to see what I liked more. This is what I came up with. I have $1 in the scoop.

Luke
Luke HalfDork
7/18/08 2:50 a.m.

She's coming along nicely, guys.

I think that budget hood scoop rocks. Needs to be painted black or something though.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
7/18/08 3:07 p.m.

I tried to paint 1 of the 2 scoops but they have a coating that doesn't allow paint to stick. Sometime I want to paint it silver.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/18/08 3:25 p.m.

Sand the plastic down and get some Plastic Primer, I think it is Rustoleum brand. Works pretty damn good, and goes on rather thick to. Paint it whatever you like after that.

My second car was a 64 Ghia rat car (bought from a guy that lived in Berkeley CA). I still have my 58, I really have to restore that one day...

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
7/19/08 7:21 a.m.
aircooled said:I still have my 58, I really have to restore that one day...

58 Ghia? Aaron and I love the low light cars their lines are the best of the bunch. If you ever decide to part with it let us know. we have been lookig for one.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
7/19/08 7:22 a.m.

I found this add for a judson on the internet the other day.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
7/26/08 6:18 p.m.

We went to our second autocross today and came in first in sm2.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/3/08 7:23 p.m.

We ran through all the wiring today. The car now has all functioning lights. We also fixed the horn and wipers.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/3/08 11:12 p.m.

A little inspiration for you, as seen running at the polish mountain hillclimb today (i shot the pic)

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
8/4/08 8:08 a.m.

Makes you wonder why people just don't fix their own wiring problems doesn't it?

I'm not sure if you guys have wheels or not but I have a set of 914 2liter wheels in the garage I'd like to send to a new home. Looks like they'd be well loved.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/4/08 4:39 p.m.

I just realized I haven’t posted pictures or even said what I now have for interior. I got some ratty original upholstery seats and some ratty carpet. I bought an original 1970 hurst shifter and had classic instruments make me a custom boost gauge. I also stripped the dash to og paint. There is now a full interior in the car. After I get some bulbs (6 volt) there’s only 1 hole in the floor that needs to be patched before we can get it inspected. We hope to have it on the road in the next few weeks and make an autocross on the 16/17 this month.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
8/4/08 4:57 p.m.
VWguyBruce said:I'm not sure if you guys have wheels or not but I have a set of 914 2liter wheels in the garage I'd like to send to a new home. Looks like they'd be well loved.

The 64 is a wide 5 car, but I am very interested in the wheels for a future Challemge car. PM me the details when you get a chance.

Sean

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
8/11/08 8:44 p.m.

Duh, don't know what I was thinking about the wheels. I thought it was a later car for some reason.

I also converted my last car to 12V and have all the 6V stuff, generator, bulbs, blue coil, etc. If you guys are interested...

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/13/08 11:23 a.m.

The ghia is now inspected and legal to drive.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/08 5:02 p.m.

hawt! good work, kid!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/13/08 5:05 p.m.

sweet!

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/28/08 9:07 p.m.

I got some color matched paint to cover the large areas of primer and I also painted the scoop body color. The back of the car is low enough at the oil sump that we tore a section of plastic off the top of a speed bump.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/08 9:32 p.m.

The Ghia tore up a speed bump, not the other way around? Well done

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/29/08 11:40 a.m.

So are you going to drop the front to match the rear? I love how simple (cheap!) it is to lower/raise old VWs. I'm guessing you guys are fully aware of the freeness of it all.

Bryce

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/31/08 2:35 p.m.

We got the ghia lowered today

Luke
Luke Dork
9/1/08 1:26 a.m.

Right click. Save image as.

She looks awesome with the front dropped. Congratulations on building such a cool car.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
9/1/08 6:05 a.m.

That looks awesome!

Nashco
Nashco Dork
9/2/08 2:50 p.m.
ratghia wrote: We got the ghia lowered today

Aaaahh, much better. Lookin' good!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/08 2:56 p.m.

Per Judson ad:

Horsepower before: Laughable Horsepower after: Giggleable (but still more than Mofo is rolling)

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H0MAartcy3o6uguHOet0vw7te4rSc9lfolQxlD4LWPItAajMdzCj7ljbIBVCcuEv