1 2
Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/3/09 3:53 p.m.

An example of why giving your kids 300HP cars as their first set of wheels is not a good idea

Location: Bennett Field Brooklyn,NY Cast of characters: Two inexperienced brothers each driving G35 coupes. One car had a passenger Time: 9:30PM Sunday night Cliff notes: Brothers raced each other and one lost control bumping into the other. Ownage ensues....

Before:

After:

Result: Two drivers had minor injuries the passenger is still in critical condition. The news article is here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32...rk_ny/

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/3/09 3:55 p.m.

Link doesn't work

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/3/09 3:59 p.m.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32541141/ns/local_news-new_york_ny

that should work

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/09 4:05 p.m.

Is a 17yo a minor in NY? Criminal charges against the parent would sure piss some folks off!

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/3/09 4:08 p.m.

cool idea. poor execution.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/09 4:12 p.m.

wait... Wally needed a Locost donor!

Carson
Carson Dork
9/3/09 4:15 p.m.

I think Wally should run both V6s in his Cavalier.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/09 5:39 p.m.

I'm impressed the kids managed to get them home and park 'em beside the curb. Next morning: "Oh my god Mom, look what someone did to our cars last night while we were at home drinking apple juice and doing our homework!"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/3/09 5:55 p.m.

There was a similar story a couple years ago - some kid out joyriding in his dad's M5 with some friends on an airstrip. That one ended badly, I think all of them died.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/3/09 6:40 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: There was a similar story a couple years ago - some kid out joyriding in his dad's M5 with some friends on an airstrip. That one ended badly, I think all of them died.

Yup-and until about a day or two before the wreck the guys on the M5 forum were telling him to slow down or he might end up a statistic. Creepy thread to read after the fact. Runway was shorter than expected, and ended at the top of a hill. Killed everyone in the car.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/3/09 6:45 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: There was a similar story a couple years ago - some kid out joyriding in his dad's M5 with some friends on an airstrip. That one ended badly, I think all of them died.
Yup-and until about a day or two before the wreck the guys on the M5 forum were telling him to slow down or he might end up a statistic. Creepy thread to read after the fact. Runway was shorter than expected, and ended at the top of a hill. Killed everyone in the car.

I remember reading that thread, pretty sad.

This is pretty bad though, how did anyone in that car live?

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
9/3/09 9:27 p.m.

Just remember kids Darwin is a mutherberkeleyer

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
9/3/09 9:30 p.m.

Ah more people my age making the intelligent amongst us look bad. With any luck both of these people will be stripped of their licenses and never given them back

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
9/3/09 9:40 p.m.
BoneYard_Racing wrote: Ah more people my age making the intelligent amongst us look bad. With any luck both of these people will be stripped of their licenses and never given them back

You've got to be kidding! That might destroy the poor kids self confidence which would SOOOO totally un-PC.

The good of the many is always sacrificed to the good of the few.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
9/3/09 10:13 p.m.

Who the heck gives 17 yos hipo sport coupes as thier first cars? Even if I were a F1 star and my kid could drive a kart before he was potty trained, I wouldn't give him a car like that as a first car. I would let him drive one at a track day, but turning teenagers loose unsupervised with stuff like that is asking for this type of out come. I was a fairly sensable driver as far as teenagers go, and I still managed to get into trouble a few times with my six cyl F150.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/3/09 10:23 p.m.

It's not like this is a new phenomenon, though...I remember when I was a kid there was a senior in my school who bought a brand new 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge. He didn't live very long after that.

Carson
Carson Dork
9/3/09 10:43 p.m.

You should've seen my hs parking lot. At least a dozen E36 M3s, a handful of E46 M3s, other Bimmers of every variant, mostly 3 series, Boxsters of every trim, 2 FD RX-7s, a C5 Corvette, and the usual mix of luxury SUVs, and Mustangs, Camaros. There were a lot of others, I could go on. And little ole me with my $300 '75 Chevy Nova.

Needles to say, I lived on the "other side of the tracks" along with only a handful of kids who, not surprisingly, had more sensible, hand-me-down first cars.

There was a poll at some point having my high school listed in the top 5 or 10 most expensive public school parking lots in the nation.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
9/3/09 10:46 p.m.

It all depends on the kid though. I mean my first car was a Camaro putting out close to 400 hp, more after tinkering with it over the years. My second car was a 944 Porsche, I bought them both with my own money, with my parents approval.

I never once wrecked the Camaro. The Porsche had someone back into it while I was sitting waiting for gas. He then proceeded to speed off after denying that he hit me, I even had witnesses. I never once wrecked a car in high school.

My best friend in high school got a 90 or so Chevy truck, he had a serious wreck our senior year with 2 others in the truck they were all critical. Another girl in my class got a base model Civic was not paying attention on her drive into class ran a light and got t boned. She was DOA.

Kids kill themselves in 80hp E36 M3 boxes and some can drive 300 hp beasts and never so much as get a scratch on them (or anyone else).

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/09 10:55 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Kids kill themselves in 80hp E36 M3 boxes and some can drive 300 hp beasts and never so much as get a scratch on them (or anyone else).

and some people berkeley anything that moves, without a rubber, and never get burned. doesn't make it a wise practice.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/3/09 11:03 p.m.

Wow that is a nasty wreck! Hopefully the passenger does not die because of the drivers stupidity and inexperience!

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/3/09 11:11 p.m.

I understand why parents often want to "spoil" their children, but putting a 16 year old in a muscle car seems like parental abuse. We've all seen examples of it, and it just eludes me.

When I got my DL in 1970, I wanted a V8 4speed fastback Mustang more than anything, and told my dad so. He said it was time for me to learn the facts of life (no, not those facts), and took me to the bank, where I learned about financial notes and loans, etc.

I had a job pumping gas at the time, and the banker looked at my income, the cost of the car I desired, and explained to me that this particular pipe dream was not gonna happen.

Turns out I could afford a 1.6 Pinto, which served me well for several years. In retrospect, I realize that if I had got the 390 'Stang I had my eye on at the time, I would not be typing this right now.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/3/09 11:34 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Who the heck gives 17 yos hipo sport coupes as thier first cars?

Stupid, child-obsessed/child-worshipping parents who never say the word "no" to their kids.

"They wanted those G35's, so who were we to say no???"

"Plus, we look better than the neighbors".

Good for them and their poor judgment. Might as well hand a toddler a loaded gun next time.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/4/09 12:59 a.m.

You spoil your kids, don't teach them to respect what they have, or make it clear that there are consequences for stupidity...

Literal or not, they'll end up in some sort of car wreck.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
9/4/09 4:59 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: I bought them both with my own money

I think kids that buy their own cars take better care of them. I know I took better care of the cars I bought in HS than my friends that had been given cars by their parents.

You don't treat things the same way if you see the money coming out of your account to pay for them.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
9/4/09 5:31 a.m.

+1

I asked my friend when he last waxed his car the other day. His response? "Only cheap, old cars need wax. My car's paint has what's called a clearcoat."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48dPKFFR08V7dyYfHcNFMxQJ23ODcHCaXAQiyc4pQSup3okyRN6KWTOyjISiHwRb