wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
12/24/10 10:51 p.m.

Saw one at a u-sell-it lot today. At least that's what the badges on the car said. Wasn't being advertised as one, just as a 1999 BMW 5-series (E39) w/some mods. Looked decent but didn't look too hard, 90-something thousand miles, 6-speed manual, carbon fiber front splitter (yeah, a real splitter) and matching carbon fiber rear spoiler (not a wing, stuck out the back of the trunk). AC Schnitzer badges on the rear. One on the lower right corner of the trunk and one replacing the BMW logo on the trunk. Never seen that one before. As usual, I forgot my cell phone had a camera and didn't get pics. Oh yeah, he wants 12k for it. What are the odd this is what it appears to be and is that a good deal? Worth looking into?

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/25/10 12:09 a.m.

While cool, i wouldn't expect those parts to effect the valve of the car. I'd lose interest really fast unless there are extensive maintenance records.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/10 12:17 a.m.

I'd guess it depends on what's under the hood - might be anything from mildly warmed up to massively tuned.

I doubt that it's not the real thing unless someone really went to town (the M-badge-onna-518-crowd usually doesn't change out all the logos), but with the three main German BMW tuners (Alpina, Hartge and AC Schnitzer) you usually get a 'menu' to choose from so you really need to find out what the spec is.

calteg
calteg New Reader
12/25/10 1:28 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: you usually get a 'menu' to choose from so you really need to find out what the spec is.

This. It's the same pattern that Saleen and Rousch emulated. Could be just a body kit, could be a full blown monster.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/25/10 2:34 p.m.

I've never seen an AC Schnitzer modified BMW that was anything other than body kit. For real performance mods there's Hartge and Dinan to choose from in the aftermarket in the US and Alpina if your tastes run to fast big cars - I think only the B7 has been available here for the past 8+ years. I'd love a set of Alpina wheels for my 750 and can't imagine how much fun a B7 is with as capable as my stock, non-sport package 7 is on good summer rubber.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/26/10 9:44 a.m.

Would a VIN search tell what a tuner did to the car?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/26/10 5:10 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I've never seen an AC Schnitzer modified BMW that was anything other than body kit. For real performance mods there's Hartge and Dinan to choose from in the aftermarket in the US and Alpina if your tastes run to fast big cars - I think only the B7 has been available here for the past 8+ years. I'd love a set of Alpina wheels for my 750 and can't imagine how much fun a B7 is with as capable as my stock, non-sport package 7 is on good summer rubber.

Had a co-worker when I was in the USAF that brought his Schnitzer tuned M3 back from Germany with him. It was an amazing car, not just a body kit and wheels, definitely retuned and well done, but then again that was a german spec car tuned in germany. Most of the US cars I've seen are body kit specials as you say.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/2/11 6:41 p.m.

Was in the area that this car is sitting again today and looked at it again. I missed the "M" emblem on the grill when I first looked at it. So an M5 w/AC Schnitzer kit installed. hmmn. Might have to look into this a little more.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/2/11 6:56 p.m.

There are a lot of non-///M cars out there with ///M badges on them...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7efOf9zute5HrHfeqatKn6IgrsK07QTKmuvSAuRrHlGKetZiOaZcy6ypUz6VFFb