MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 8:16 p.m.

So in this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/2000-challenge/a-tale-of-2-mr2s-a-potential-challenge-adventure-with-my-14-year-old-son/159542/page1/ I describe my dilemma. Basically I bought a car with a filterless dryer tube going to the MAF. The tube had apparently been at least a feeding place for rodents who left acorn shells behind. I started the car and after it idling a bit I revved it hard and the throttle cable stuck winding the car out before I killed it with the key. It sat for a few months and I took some things apart and found this: 

My plan is to pull the intake and see what I find later this week. What type of carnage would you expect from ingesting acorn shells?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/19 8:20 p.m.

Oh man, at least its better than when the gas pedal in my Miata got stuck at wot and we found a frog in the throttle plate ... I can still smell it. I learned to never leave intake piping on the floor while working on a car. 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/29/19 8:22 p.m.

I hate rodents. Of all the engines in all the cars, they have to go into yours.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork

I don't think nuts and so on hurting the engine. Mostly burn up and ground down, then out the exhaust.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

Little to none.

Some people actually dump ground up walnut shells in running engines to grind the carbon out, but you need to remove the catalysts for that.  I don't think you did any damage because the volume of material you processed would have been so small.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/29/19 8:28 p.m.

That’s nuts! (A)corny joke, I’m sorry. 

My friend just found a large bee in the float bowl of his DR650 carb with no idea how.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 8:29 p.m.

Would it be possible for it to have clogged the intake manifold? The engine started back when with ancient stale gas before the stuck throttle and now won't start. I don't want to disassemble anything more than I have to.

b13990
b13990 Reader
9/29/19 8:43 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Could be the result of a hasty attempt to "walnut blast" the intake tract.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/19 8:45 p.m.

If it has compression, it's kind of doubtful.  If there was enough material to plug the intake ports, the valves will be hanging open.

I'm unaware if this would be a valve bending event on a 4AGE, but either way you would be able to hear the difference in cranking.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/29/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Ancient gas can be a problem even when it seems like it’s not. 

A fuel injection engine has pressurized lines. The fuel in the lines can remain viable longer than the fuel in the tank (or other places)

The engine can start on the fuel in the pressurized lines, then suck the bad gas in and die.

Will it fire on starting fluid?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 9:12 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

No go on starter fluid. Hadn't thought about better gas in the lines.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 9:13 p.m.
Slippery said:

Oh man, at least its better than when the gas pedal in my Miata got stuck at wot and we found a frog in the throttle plate ... I can still smell it. I learned to never leave intake piping on the floor while working on a car. 

I'm beginning to think it was acorns holding the throttle open like your unfortunate frog, not the frayed cable. It hasn't stuck since.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/29/19 9:21 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

I would bet it ran on the better fuel in the lines, but you have now clogged the injectors with the bad gas. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 9:26 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

I would bet it ran on the better fuel in the lines, but you have now clogged the injectors with the bad gas. 

Yeah, I was thinking I might have done that and was assuming a cleaning might be on the list. Was expecting at least a pop with starter fluid though. May dump some gas in the manifold just to try to hear a noise.

Edit-would have dropped the tank today but the previous, previous owner ran a brake bias knob on the passenger side of the tunnel inside the car which necessitates cracking brake lines to drop the tank.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zHEtqsBGBFhPYRv5AyrRbH0aUnUmkUs2goJD5FP0UFgWgbveqReKxJpLi6g0V6KA