759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/11/18 5:06 p.m.

The wife has proclaimed that she wants something of her OWN......not what I've drug home and said here's the keys. Initially she was looking at 2010-12 Chevy Equinoxssssss. Meh....but I did an about face for me (being the big GM honk) and took a look at the Acura MDX (2010-2012). Likin' what I'm seeing for unbelievably the sameish price!!!! What say ye Hive? 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/11/18 8:17 p.m.

We test-drove one from that year range back in 2014 or so. I thought it drove really well and handled "smaller" than it was. The front seat interior was a nice place to be. We ended up not getting it because we wanted 3 rows, and the MDX 3rd row is a complete joke for any adult (or taller child seat) to fit in, and with almost zero cargo space behind it. If you don't need 3rd row, I'd put it up on your list. 

May also want to look into a Mazda CX-9 (1st generation, though it's mostly a Ford drivetrain so maybe your GM-ness can't do that). That's what we have now (a 2014) and it's really a great driver in almost every respect. It drives like a much smaller vehicle, but has a lot of cargo and interior space.

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
11/12/18 6:37 a.m.

Perfectly capable and reliable, but boring. The Pathfinder of that generation is a real truck, maybe try that instead? 

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/18 11:25 a.m.

Does she want a real truck?  Most people don't.  

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/12/18 12:30 p.m.

Can't tell you anything about MDXs, but as a GM tech, avoid the Equinoxes, especially of the years you listed.  The 2.4L engine had serious troubles. Oil consumption (like a couple quarts in 1000 miles bad), timing chains prematurely stretching to where they jump timing, timing chain guide failure resulting in the chains sawing into the head and block. It's also severely underpowered. The AWD versions also have power transfer units that randomly explode (literally parts through the case) without any warning or reason for failure, and are non-serviceable.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/12/18 2:04 p.m.

Yes, run from the Equinox, I've only heard bad things.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/12/18 2:05 p.m.
Dave M said:

Perfectly capable and reliable, but boring. The Pathfinder of that generation is a real truck, maybe try that instead? 

I have a V8 version, because I wanted a real truck to haul my kids to soccer....and pull the racecar.

If my wife wanted an MDX I would be all in.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/12/18 2:25 p.m.

My brother in law had one. Basically an SUV version of the Odyssey. It never gave his family any trouble.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/12/18 6:55 p.m.

akylekoz NickD thanks y'all for the heads up on the Enox.....psteav, what she wants is something that DOESN'T ride like a truck.

DaveM....boring is way good as long as the seats are supportive/comfy.1(her spine and neck are/were jackedup)......feed back y'all.....thanks!!!!

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
11/13/18 9:40 a.m.

My wife has a 2011.  It's great- fast for an SUV and drives a bit like a giant hot-hatch.  It's a Honda so should be good long-term, ours has 95k on it and drives like new.  Only bummer is it is supposed to drink premium gas- we been running mid grade at colorado altitude and have not seen any issue.  20mpg on the highway going 85- super comfy on long drives.

FYI she came from an older Equinox- she wanted something a little bigger with AWD and I wanted something that could tow my parent's pop-up camper trailer and maybe someday a car trailer with a small track car on it.  Seems to meet all our needs.  

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
11/13/18 6:38 p.m.

If it's anything like my wife's old Honda pilot... boring as a knot on a log. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/13/18 7:24 p.m.
scottdownsouth said:

If it's anything like my wife's old Honda pilot... boring as a knot on a log. 

But is it comfy in the luxobarge realm????

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/18 7:32 p.m.

The Rear subframe mounts stamped in to the body rust out letting the whole rear end come loose. Make sure you look really closely at these as they basically total the vehicle. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/13/18 7:42 p.m.

Did they fix the trans issue the Odysseys are plagued with ? 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/13/18 7:53 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The Rear subframe mounts stamped in to the body rust out getting the whole rear end come loose. Make sure you look really closely at these as they basically total the vehicle. 

As a rule or strictly in the rust belt?

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/13/18 8:07 p.m.
NickD said:

Can't tell you anything about MDXs, but as a GM tech, avoid the Equinoxes, especially of the years you listed.  The 2.4L engine had serious troubles. Oil consumption (like a couple quarts in 1000 miles bad), timing chains prematurely stretching to where they jump timing, timing chain guide failure resulting in the chains sawing into the head and block. It's also severely underpowered. The AWD versions also have power transfer units that randomly explode (literally parts through the case) without any warning or reason for failure, and are non-serviceable.

As someone shopping the same year range for my wife in SUV's  thanks for this. She swore the only reason I didn't want an equinox was my anti gm leanings. I can't believe how many of these we see under 100k miles with timing chain noise.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/13/18 8:28 p.m.
dropstep said:
NickD said:

As someone shopping the same year range for my wife in SUV's  thanks for this. She swore the only reason I didn't want an equinox was my anti gm leanings. I can't believe how many of these we see under 100k miles with timing chain noise.

'nuff said no Equinoxes in my driveway!!!!!

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/14/18 5:42 a.m.
dropstep said:
NickD said:

Nah, they're pretty wretched. I've seen them come into the shop with 50-60k miles sounding like a diesel engine. The big problem is that they're direct-injected, and GM's 7-8k mile oil change interval. The higher combustion temps from GDI cooks the oil into the rings and sticks them, so then it starts burning oil due to poor ring seal. It uses oil to pressurize the chain tensioners, so then when it starts getting run low on oil, the timing chains start flapping around and beat up the guides, typically breaking them and sawing into the head and block, eventually jumping time and smashing the pistons into the valves. Also, the oil burning may wipe out the catalytic converter at this point as well.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/14/18 7:51 p.m.

OK this just in ...2011 w141k on the odo for $12995......is eleven five a good counter offer (cash)???

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/16/18 9:49 p.m.

I always forget which one is the larger of the two, MDX or RDX. Daughter has the larger one. Bought it certified pre-owned last year and she likes it. And she really likes the service the Acura dealer provides, loaners every time she has regular services done. She has 2 boys, ages 6 & 2 and it hauls them around comfortably.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/16/18 9:52 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:

I always forget which one is the larger of the two, MDX or RDX. Daughter has the larger one. Bought it certified pre-owned last year and she likes it. And she really likes the service the Acura dealer provides, loaners every time she has regular services done. She has 2 boys, ages 6 & 2 and it hauls them around comfortably.

MDX - larger.

RDX- Medium.

CDX - coming - smaller. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/16/18 11:07 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
wlkelley3 said:

MDX - larger.

RDX- Medium.

CDX - coming - smaller. 

I'm holding out for the ADX devil Image result for tiny acura

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/30/18 8:02 p.m.

Well this has taken a hard left..... what say ye about a Lincoln MKT AWDwith ecoboost???

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2J30ZHEIqfahkUOgbZqhqWyXy3mOmoArJRYvDquaBcpmpTjn3stXV94U9gPD2Gm9