1 ... 4 5 6 7
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/15/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

In all fairness the RSX (outside of the engine) was a huge step back. Probably a good thing they didn't call it an Integra IMO

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/21 1:37 p.m.

I feel like there's a lot of talk about not having an ITR version. What's to say that they won't in the future? Don't most models get a generic introduction and then roll out hotter versions later?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/15/21 1:40 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

At the very least a GS-R version. Those were usually released at the same time as the generic offerings. IR's were only offered for a very short time at the end of the Integra life span.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/15/21 1:59 p.m.

I just want the car to look like it was designed by someone who has seen an Integra before. Like, if you park a CR-Z next to a CRX, you can tell that one car evolved from the other in spite of a 19 year gap.

This doesn't even look like someone tried to describe an Integra over the phone.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/21 4:34 p.m.

From the side profile it actually looks like a mixture of cues from the 1G and RSX (4G Integra everywhere else).

The overall silhouette is VERY similar to the RSX with the exception of the nose which is doubtlessly shaped by modern pedestrian impact regs.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/21 4:42 p.m.

Imagine trying to appeal to and sell a product to a fickle toddler that thinks they're hungry but doesn't actually eat the food that they said they want. After you just went through the trouble of getting the ingredients, cooking, and serving the food. 

Car enthusiast are the toddlers. When someone actually makes what we want we rarely buy it for whatever reason. If they give us some of the things we want then we wine about what it isn't. Well not we but y'all. I don't bitch about things I know I wouldn't buy anyway lol. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/15/21 5:04 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

But GRM style car enthusiasts are a pretty small percentage of new car buyers.  We just want them to build cars that will be cool in ten years when we can afford them.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/21 5:43 p.m.

GRM folks are exactly who I'm talking about lol! 

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/15/21 7:16 p.m.

Yes, but it doesn't matter how cool they are in ten years if nobody wants to buy them now. They could make the coolest car in the world, but if it doesn't appeal to new car buyers now, you still won't be able to buy one later.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/21 7:21 p.m.
dps214 said:

Yes, but it doesn't matter how cool they are in ten years if nobody wants to buy them now. They could make the coolest car in the world, but if it doesn't appeal to new car buyers now, you still won't be able to buy one later.

This is kind of why i may buy a new Frisbee.

After driving a Mazda 3 turbo hatch.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/15/21 7:42 p.m.

It's a crosstour innit?

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/21 9:00 p.m.

When i heard they were making a new Integra, I immediately put it on my short list of things to keep an eye on for my next new car when I get tired of the GTI. Now that I see what it actually is, it's definitely not on the list any longer. There's really nothing there visually that interests me, and the 1.5 is even lesss interesting. LSD is nice, but not enough to make me care. 

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/15/21 10:31 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

From the side profile it actually looks like a mixture of cues from the 1G and RSX (4G Integra everywhere else).

The overall silhouette is VERY similar to the RSX with the exception of the nose which is doubtlessly shaped by modern pedestrian impact regs.

I don't see It man. I don't see any of it. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/15/21 11:00 p.m.
yupididit said:

Imagine trying to appeal to and sell a product to a fickle toddler that thinks they're hungry but doesn't actually eat the food that they said they want. After you just went through the trouble of getting the ingredients, cooking, and serving the food. 

Car enthusiast are the toddlers. When someone actually makes what we want we rarely buy it for whatever reason. If they give us some of the things we want then we wine about what it isn't. Well not we but y'all. I don't bitch about things I know I wouldn't buy anyway lol. 

Just listen to people that are your enthusiasts and give them more of what they want. Even if they don't all buy it, it trickles over to the non enthusiast crowd. Exciting cars sell in low volume but it does wonders for the brand. When people think of everything that is exciting about Integras of old, this thing has maybe 40% of that. 

A new Supra that is twin turbo but 2 pedals only and BMW powered. How much does that capture the legend of a Supra people left off with? 60%? 70%?

At least the new Z is twin turbo, manual transmission, lots of nostalgia .... even if everyone isn't a fan of the styling, on paper it checks a lot of boxes. Just saying they could have checked more boxes with the Integra rerelease for sure. 

Why wouldn't they bring an ITR out now? Sure in the past those came out later ....when they were new.There is no need to wait. This is 100% a desperate attempt at cashing in legacy points earned two decades ago. There is no need to even call this an Integra without giving something to the hardcore Integra fans. This manual transmission 4 door with decent power for the weight is essentially a 4 door GSR of the modern day. So call it that and play more on the nostalgia but offer a type R coupe with more power, a little wing, red recaros, all the type r color ways.... ride the hype.

As it sits if they think people who want a manual transmission sports sedan aren't cross shopping things like STIs they'd be wrong even if they aren't in the same performance category. Sedans with a stick are rare now and a shopper in that market might pick other things for more power and better performance. If they offered an ITR, it could be slower and more expensive but still sell a ton because that loyalty is strong. Acura needs help. They used to be the sporty but luxurious Honda but now they aren't sporty and luxury shoppers have many other choices now. Hell I see more Teslas than new Acuras. If they are content with that then fine but why half ass an Integra rerelease?

I buy new cars and old cars so I don't just complain and then only buy beaters. cheeky

pointofdeparture
11/15/21 11:19 p.m.
Buck Futter said:

I stand by my comment. The silhouette is like a stretched out RSX with a blunt nose.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 6:36 a.m.
Buck Futter said:
pointofdeparture said:

Then you don't want to see and just want to be righteously indignant.

It's cool, feel what you feel.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 6:45 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to yupididit :

But GRM style car enthusiasts are a pretty small percentage of new car buyers.  We just want them to build cars that will be cool in ten years when we can afford them.

Are you not hearing yourself, or am I missing implied sarcasm?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 6:50 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

So really if they called it a GSR it would be better?

50 people in the continental US care about the GSR designation at this point.

And NO, enthusiast enthusiasm  doesn't spill over into the majority of the buying public.  If it did, there would be more enthusiasts.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/21 8:53 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I get your argument for it's similarities to the RSX, but I still think that's a bit of a stretch.

But I do think it's a dead ringer for the 1st gen 5 door.

My incredibly (not) spicy take on this is that they *have* faithfully resurrected the integra, just not the one we were all thinking they were going to.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/21 9:27 a.m.
BA5 said:

My incredibly (not) spicy take on this is that they *have* faithfully resurrected the integra, just not the one we were all thinking they were going to.

I see it. Silhouette wise it's a pretty spot on modern interpretation. The original was pretty bland so no reason to bust out the big guns first. Maybe they'll kick a 2dr version out. Then a typeR. Or maybe not, could be too much overlap with the civic SI and typeR. Who knows.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
11/16/21 1:43 p.m.

I like it. I'd prefer a lower nose like on the 1st gen and RSX, but I understand why they couldn't do it. I still miss our '86 5-door. Not so much my RSX-S. Never could get comfortable in the seat.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/16/21 2:18 p.m.
Duke said:
Buck Futter said:
pointofdeparture said:

Then you don't want to see and just want to be righteously indignant.

It's cool, feel what you feel.

Sorry, I see this more than either of those:

2014-honda-crosstour-ex-profile

The 2023 Acura Integra will be built in Ohio.

pointofdeparture
11/16/21 4:02 p.m.

Everybody keeps hammering on it by saying it looks like a Crosstour, but frankly, I think the details are less awkward than the new Civic hatchback, particularly in the rear quarters. The way the C/D pillars terminate and the rear hatch slope just kind of...ends on the Civic doesn't look right to me. I like pretty much everything about the Integra better aside from the silly yellow color.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 8:52 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

The Crosstour looks like it's on tippy toes and somebody needs to throw a party and invite its pants down to meet its shoes.

The Integra does not.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/16/21 9:11 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

So really if they called it a GSR it would be better?

50 people in the continental US care about the GSR designation at this point.

And NO, enthusiast enthusiasm  doesn't spill over into the majority of the buying public.  If it did, there would be more enthusiasts.

No just calling it a GSR wouldn't be all it needs I'm just saying it's my opinion they missed an opportunity by not harking back to every old name , trim, color, option, Easter egg they could.

I think you might have misunderstood my enthusiasts do drive sales in a way content. I absolutely think people bought boring Acuras in the 90s because NSXs , legends, vigors, and Integras gave the overall brand a sporty feeling marketing boost and made the brand cool in general. They have milked that for all it was worth. I'm saying if they took more risks in a modern Integra, the brand could have a real resurgence. An NSX halo car that not very many people can afford and those that can aren't buying and this 4 door won't do that. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HgYxcQwX3H53l52ztPL438OGXO2jYa2NS6Uo6UKrdCsHauHJV7RdTk1cmUgXr6uB