1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/22/19 7:13 a.m.
feature_image

Click here for a great way to spend your Saturday. The lawn can wait.

And keep an eye out for the #90 Gazoo Racing Supra with a Mr. Morizo behind the wheel. That's Toyota president, Akio Toyoda, and it's not his first rodeo.

Read the rest of the story

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/22/19 8:31 a.m.

I'll add a link to the live timing when it goes up / I find it

edit, looks like this might be it:
https://livetiming.azurewebsites.net/event=50?config=w9

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 8:34 a.m.

nice move by the i30 on the start of group #2

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 9:07 a.m.

did JG do a video covering the three cars Hyundai are entering in the race this year?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/22/19 9:42 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

did JG do a video covering the three cars Hyundai are entering in the race this year?

there are some who call me... Tim? // Buffalo is my spirit animal

Not yet. But I have some time scheduled with Hyundai execs soon, and I’ll be hanging out in their pits a bit later. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 10:59 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I’ll say that the V2T i30N ‘Fastback’ is an interesting sight... and some details on it would be welcome.  I recall there’s been some gnashing of teeth on the board about the Veloster being the only “N type” car over here.

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 11:10 a.m.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Veloster has had a shunt?  sad

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 1:17 p.m.

guess I'm rooting for the Civic in TCR now sad

JG Pasterjak
6/22/19 1:25 p.m.

I just saw the Veloster on track a minute ago. So whatever it was it’s back as of before I got on the shuttle bus at 8pm (local)

JG Pasterjak
6/22/19 1:34 p.m.

Ugh. 

Not. Cool. 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/22/19 1:49 p.m.

Holy pass in the grass at 170mph+!!!

JG Pasterjak
6/22/19 1:54 p.m.
johndej said:

Holy pass in the grass at 170mph+!!!

Press rooms don’t usually gasp. 

Everyone gasped. 

I’m off to the hot pits for a bit. Watch for me on tv. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 2:01 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I just saw the Veloster on track a minute ago. So whatever it was it’s back as of before I got on the shuttle bus at 8pm (local)

At the beginning of the race the i30 TCR and Veloster TCR were 1-2... then after the second pit stop?  The Veloster had some kind of issue and fell back to fourth in class.  Not sure what it was.

11:30pm (Euro) edit:

RLM mentioned there was front brake issues on the Veloster.  I’m assuming that’s what set it back.  Also wonder if that’s what befell the i30 TCR at Bruenchen?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/19 2:53 p.m.

This race is crazy with so many recovery and safety vehicles out on a hot race track. That was a really hard hit on the straight between a Cayman and a GTR as one car checked up for a slow zone.

Adam

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 2:53 p.m.

Wow, that was a crash!

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Dunno if they’ve talked about it, but the system is GPS-based, and hooked into the timing system.  And they should be graduated from single yellow, double yellow, and code 60... or the waving white... depending on the situation.  So, race control can see if you’ve violated a zone, and there a pretty stiff warning/penalties for doing so.  Additionally, you have to pass a race-license/certification to run the N24... and it’s a graduated system that requires cleanly running in VLN races and/or slower class cars first.

If there’s a bad enough shunt, they’ll actually have a code60 zone, and a team out there to replace the barrier that’s no longer ‘in spec’.

It’s how they’ve figured out how to have this many cars, on a course this big... and giving people a chance to get their car back to fix and get going again.  ymmv.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/19 3:32 p.m.

I understand the systems they have to deal with cautions on such a long track with so many cars, it's just crazy seeing an R8 GT3 car pass a safety car on the grass around the outside because they came over a crest and didn't expect it to be there. It's great seeing how hard they are racing at the front though as they deal with traffic and everything else, way more entertaining then Le Mans a week ago.

Adam

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/22/19 3:44 p.m.

Just heard the the 170 i30 TCR is being fixed!?

awesome!  Great spirit!  Cheers from GRM!

JG Pasterjak
6/22/19 5:44 p.m.

If you're watching the video feed and see the traffic jam on the road adjacent to the Dottinger Hohe you'll se where i was st=uck for like 40 minutes on the way out of the track.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/22/19 7:13 p.m.

This is crazy racing between the dark, the narrow track, the speed differential between classes, the number of cars on track, etc. 

Indecisiverock
Indecisiverock New Reader
6/22/19 10:29 p.m.

Incredible job by the manta crew to get that car back on track, and looking like it never got wrecked either.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/19 11:03 p.m.

Cool to see a Mustang in podium position in class.

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/23/19 5:43 a.m.

so, a note for later... there’s helicopter footage of the 911 passing a “back marker” when the cayman gt4 was stopped this morning, iirc.  I think it was when RLM was doing one of their hourly updates.

edit:

showed as replay with 2hr 18min left as the 911 served the penalty... while two of the cars that stood to benefit from the penalty had difficulty!

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/23/19 6:43 a.m.

When I went to sleep, the #911 was leading by over two minutes over the #48 and the #31. Woke up six hours later and everything has completely changed.

Endurance racing is awesome. laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/23/19 7:26 a.m.

The 2nd to last hour was fun. The final hour is shaping up to be a good one as well. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WaJx7g0hHvSHkg8E746dcpY0fJBxzOKqaltG3m8FgCIQRKQwp3uTYJ618NdO5uP1