flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
4/10/21 1:10 p.m.

This is an article/awareness piece I wrote regarding Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS)... Which basically covers a whole bunch of new tech coming on vehicles as standard equipment, such as auto emergency braking, auto cruise control, lane keep assist, forward collision warning, blind spot monitors, 360 cameras, etc. Stuff that not a lot of us want as enthusiasts (me included), but it's trending toward becoming standard on all new cars.

I will warn you, it is four pages long, but if you have any of these systems on your vehicles or vehicles of family and friends, it is worth a read to understand how they work and when they need calibrated. There are a lot of scenarios that you would not normally think of that require calibration, and having a camera or radar facing off even one degree can cause the car to slam the brakes on for no good reason, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z8eThHyjZZxhwTATiKBmu8M2ERylfsay/view?usp=drivesdk

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/21 4:40 p.m.

I just want an "off" button for that stuff.   Just another reason new cars are so expensive.....

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/11/21 7:46 a.m.

It appears the OP may be in the auto body business, as am I (sort of). I hate all of this new tech. It adds tremendous complexity and expense to repairs. I also drive a car that is equipped with a lot of this tech and it is more intrusive and annoying than helpful.

Most of this is to help the incompetent among us. How useful it all is can certainly be debated.

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
4/11/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Yep. I do all the electrical diagnosis, calibrations, etc for every vehicle that comes through my primary shop, and I do mobile ADAS calibrations and OEM scans for other places. 

Im not crazy about this tech as a consumer(great for business though!), but it's stuff we need to all be aware of. Especially with stuff like Hondas and Toyotas and VWs where every time you remove the grille/bumper it needs recalibrated. If it's off by even 1 degree is makes a big difference in performance. Last thing you want is the AEB bringing the car to a stop when making a left on a solid green in the middle of an intersection with oncoming traffic.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/11/21 1:07 p.m.
flatlander937 said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Last thing you want is the AEB bringing the car to a stop when making a left on a solid green in the middle of an intersection with oncoming traffic.

And that's why the tech needs an off switch. The laws aren't as advanced as the tech is at this point. Good luck on getting out of that ticket because "my car just shut off!".

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/11/21 2:07 p.m.

Most of it does have an off switch, you just have to switch it every key cycle.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
4/11/21 6:50 p.m.

flatlander937, thanks for posting that!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/21 10:20 p.m.

I agree, that's a great article. Thank you for the info!

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
4/13/21 11:00 p.m.

Thanks! Yeah today this rolled in... Simple bumper off for a headlight replacement... Do the math and it's staring toward the ground and oncoming traffic if left un-calibrated. surprise It's roughly aimed a bit over 1ft left and bit less than 1ft down for every 10ft in front of the car at that level of misalignment.

To be fair I don't check the aim before the bumper gets removed... But I'd expect performance problems if it were really that far off before repairs.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
4/14/21 11:49 a.m.

And people think cars are going to reliably drive themselves in 6-18 months.

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
4/17/21 11:53 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Yeah I doubt that very much.

Also another fun data-point: had a 2018 Camry that needed radar/360 calibration/parking sensor programming (yes you read that right) plus a post scan... Total cost? $950. 

For. A. Camry.

Most was tied up in the 360 calibration as it's an involved setup procedure with laying targets on the ground and adjusting horizontal/vertical/angle/zoom in and out of all 4 cameras to stitch the images together... No pics, was hustling to get it all done before the end of the day. FWIW this calibration you enter diagnostic mode via the radio and can do it yourself if you want to save money. It doesn't slam the brakes or do anything weird so it's not really the most important thing in all reality.

The park sensors are fun, when they get replaced they will not work at all until programmed. You measure the vertical angle of each sensor in relation to the ground and program that value into them. 

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
Mg1nGhRzOPRgvMVRFl4SWQedfDfvRfDuvX2bP6xZa8sDlcZ6PuUJysJyAomKaOdS