1 2 3
Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 7:14 p.m.

What happens if you just unplug all the sensors?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/29/21 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

A warning light at least, nonfunctional cruise control...

Haven't tried that.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 10:12 p.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

that's not something I'd ever want to have to defend against in a courtroom. 

Having been in a "truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" kind of scenario due to a situation involving a collision, with me being the last set of hands on a car.... Agreed.

Also hammers home the CYA nature of wanting to do full inspections on everything.  And actually looking up and following through on manufacturer recommended repair procedures.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/21 10:06 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Which Nissan model is that?

Know anything specific regarding Rogues?

It was a Rogue.

They require aiming any time they're in a front bumper accident per a Nissan Collision Repair Bulletin. 

Note that some models have the radar module for AEB but no ICC(intelligent cruise control).  Which is dumb IMO.

If equipped, the FFC only needs calibrated when the windshield is replaced or camera is R&I or R&R.

Nissan has terrible documentation on body mounted blind spot repairs. No info on BSM angles, no physical check process or target aim procedure. By the service manuals, you perform an "action test" which is basically test driving and making sure they work. 

I found this week a 2021 Rogue went to bumper mounted blind spot modules so they're pretty idiot proof and you just slap one in and make sure it works as designed without issue.

If there was a good hit directly to a BSM mounting area (body mounted), most of the decent insurance companies will pay for BSM angle checks vs the undamaged side before the bumper goes on as an "industry best practice". We basically make sure the vertical and horizontal angles are +/- 1.5 deg of the opposite side in that case and shim or tweak the mounting as necessary.

​​​​​​360 cameras require calibration any time they're R&I or R&R. Grill comes off? Fix the image.

​​​​​​Also Nissan is moving to a secure gateway starting with the 20+ Sentra, and phasing it in on new body style everything else. Without the OEM Consult III software with a live subscription, you're not doing anything other than generic OBD2 stuff yourself.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/30/21 10:53 a.m.

Damn we don't like this stuff? I missed the memo. I wish my Expedition had lane keeping assist, advance cruise control, and 360 camera. My wife's car has all the nannies and it really takes the edge off of long drives. I realized yesterday I bought my Expedition in January and almost put 30k miles on it, lots of roadtrips.

flatlander937
10/31/21 8:00 a.m.

As stated, warning messages and lights on the dash. In most cases regular cruise will still work.

If it's a Toyota, they have a TSB for modified trucks/SUVs (lifted, A/M front bumper, big tires, etc) to permanently disable the forward radar if the customer wants. So that is an option. Downside is it permanently corrupts the module requiring replacement if you want to restore function. I suspect we'll see more of this in the future as an option.

flatlander937
10/31/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Good systems are REALLY good. IMO newer (say 2018ish+) Hyundai/Kia is among the best. The Palisade/Telluride lane keeping and auto cruise are excellent.

Toyman01 + Sized and
10/31/21 11:19 a.m.

My only experiance is with a Subaru system and it was horrible. The constant dinging if you got near a line, the constant unnecessary speed changes and the occasional slamming on the brakes were super irritating. It was a very poorly executed system.

I ended up digging through the menues and turning most of that crap off and not using the cruise control at all.

My mother on the other hand loves it. But she's 83 so I kind of understand that. 

yupididit
10/31/21 12:01 p.m.

Maybe some systems are just not as good as others. I only have experience with Honda and Tesla systems. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
10/31/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I am sure that's the case. It is still a system I would probably avoide in any car purchase. The added complexity isn't worth it to me. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/31/21 6:02 p.m.

Great timing on brining this topic back BTW.

Its the equivalent of telling scary ghost stories for people who like to repair their own cars.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
11/1/21 6:54 a.m.
yupididit said:

Damn we don't like this stuff? I missed the memo. I wish my Expedition had lane keeping assist, advance cruise control, and 360 camera. My wife's car has all the nannies and it really takes the edge off of long drives. I realized yesterday I bought my Expedition in January and almost put 30k miles on it, lots of roadtrips.

Adaptive cruise is great if it's a decent system.  But that's the only one of the shiny new car features I really like out of this group.  Until the lane keeping assist morphs into autopilot good enough to just let it do its thing until you want to get off the highway, I'd rather not bother.  Same with most of the other stuff, I just don't feel the need for it and if it's not really well implemented, it's more annoying than helpful. 

As an example, the newer Toyotas with auto high beams are awful.  I made it 5 minutes in one before turning that crap off.  It's just not good enough at deciding whether something is a car or a very reflective sign, and when there are trees and curves around, it sometimes ends up just flashing the high beams at other cars as things go in and out of view.  But if they could actually make it work decently, it would be great. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/21 10:17 a.m.

I was kind of indifferent to these systems but after seeing the costs involved, I'm going to avoid them myself if I ever end up buying such a new car...the costs of modern cars' headlight and taillight units are scary enough! Glad other people's cars have them though, I suspect AEB kept an Audi from rear-ending my Toyobaru a couple months ago.

flatlander937
11/5/21 9:02 p.m.

Another fun one found today. This came to one of the body shops I service to correct fitment issues and radar problems that were overlooked when originally "repaired" by a local HONDA dealer's collision shop. 

What you see are the physical adjustment screws maxed(vertical) and nearly maxed(horizontal). The radar was NOT replaced, nor was the bracket that is bent. It was throwing codes for radar being out of alignment, it's pointed roughly 6 deg upwards.

flatlander937
7/27/22 10:16 p.m.

Hyundai/Kia 360 calibration mats. Kind of silly.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/28/22 7:29 a.m.

No joke when you get the bill for the calibration.

I hate modern cars.

flatlander937
8/16/22 12:18 a.m.

Fortunately don't need these terribly often, but the 15-20(?) F150s are probably the most awful 360 calibration as they require even more space.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/22 9:18 a.m.

Wow, that was an enlightening read. Those stories about mis-aligned radars causing AEB systems to slam on your brakes are quite eye-opening. Now think of the average 10-year-old beater Altima on the road today, with duct-taped bumper damage and dealer tags swerving through traffic at 90 mph. In 10 years from now, the equivalent beater will have damaged and unaimed sensors, warnings all over the dash, and who knows what else going on behind the scenes of its computer, and they're sharing the road with you. 

I also imagine a future where the aftermarket sells plug-in defeat devices to keep your beater on the road and let it drive like a normal car, assuming regulations haven't caught up with this technology by then.

yupididit
8/16/22 9:24 a.m.
rslifkin said:
yupididit said:

Adaptive cruise is great if it's a decent system.  But that's the only one of the shiny new car features I really like out of this group.  Until the lane keeping assist morphs into autopilot good enough to just let it do its thing until you want to get off the highway, I'd rather not bother.  Same with most of the other stuff, I just don't feel the need for it and if it's not really well implemented, it's more annoying than helpful. 

As an example, the newer Toyotas with auto high beams are awful.  I made it 5 minutes in one before turning that crap off.  It's just not good enough at deciding whether something is a car or a very reflective sign, and when there are trees and curves around, it sometimes ends up just flashing the high beams at other cars as things go in and out of view.  But if they could actually make it work decently, it would be great. 

I had a new Toyota Rav4 as a rental for 4 days and hated it. One thing that added to my displeasure was their auto-highbeam feature and their other nannie. Way more panicky and intrusive than the Honda system. I'm not sure how these Rav4's sell so well. The car was so subpar and underpowered. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/16/22 9:45 a.m.

Just had a new Sentra rental with all the nannies.  Traveling through North Carolina backroads, where the highway signs are tiny little reflective pieces of metal, made the auto hi-beam feature go crazy.  Took me far longer to get to VIR than it should have.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 10:07 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Auto high beams have sucked for 50 years. My 1966 Cadillacs have the same reflective sign problem as a 2022 Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 10:36 a.m.

Thanks for the pics of the 360 degree calibration mats. I'd never considered that procedure before. Finding that much empty space in a working shop is not a trivial matter!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/17/22 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hell, I haven't had that much contiguis good floor in a life time of car service!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/17/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

So how'd you get into this line of work? I assume specific training. Would you recommend considering it for someone looking for a change of pace with an automotive background? Does it pay well? I don't recall from the early posts, do you work independently or at a shop? Thanks!

flatlander937
8/17/22 11:15 p.m.

Yeah I am not crazy about the auto high beam feature on anything I've driven... that said it hasn't been many because I'm not calibrating cars at night cheeky That is the one feature on my wife's Kia Niro EV that remains disabled. The auto cruise and lane keep are absolutely phenomenal though. It is very close to driving itself.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Honestly I was sick of the physical toll that being a tech for 15+ years was taking on my body. Feet/back/knees felt like crap every day. It just felt like I was doing the same stuff day in and day out and wasn't really learning anything to keep me wanting to do it.

I started taking some computer science classes online (and actually need to resume them now that we're moved in) in an attempt to get out of automotive entirely... and when looking for jobs that might align with my skillset (precision alignment/calibration of stuff... I can build differentials and string align stuff like nobody's business) I got a suggested ad from W&M on Indeed and it sounded interesting. Read up more on ADAS and decided it might be a good transition. Been here for about a year and a half now and love it.

I do work mobile out of my now 304k mile 2005 Sequoia... which is actually going away this week to be replaced by a 2019 Tundra (with all the ADAS goodies... though it's mainly just the radar cruise I want). Better believe I'll be checking it myself... will be interesting to see just how far off it is knowing it's not been in a collision, etc just from normal use and 50k miles.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3Gdjc1MdQadrGE1n24DYV4mI3IB1FzRackvEth4lEbHJx0cFInQQTWxxwVdRRzs