1 2
plance1
plance1 Dork
11/16/11 7:25 p.m.

Hi. Debbie downer here. I just gave a ride to a guy whose excursion pooped out on him. He said that he just dropped 6k on it to get it "fixed" at the local dealer. Maybe his was just a lemon? I've always liked these however.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/11 8:10 p.m.

That thing is awesome. I would live in it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/16/11 8:23 p.m.

I want one. Too bad the closest you can get to a new one today is a super duty with a cap.

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
11/16/11 9:41 p.m.

Somehow, I'm reminded of Blue Oyster Cult, Godzilla

Awesome!

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
11/16/11 9:51 p.m.

Great truck. There's no way you're getting anywhere close to 21 MPG, though. The Banks tune screws up the trip computer and so it shows an artificially high number. Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons you burn and you'll find that you're doing very well to get 15 MPG. And the guy who said his friend is getting 30 MPG is smoking something. Or his friend is.

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
11/16/11 9:55 p.m.

PS. I have an '03 7.3 Ex with the DP Tuner (pretty much the same as, though the forums say better than, the Banks). 13.5 MPG pretty much no matter what.

Curb weight is closer to 7200 lbs.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/16/11 10:10 p.m.
how many of us shot over to evilbay after seeing this truck?

Good old craigslist for me..

Roughly $10-17k in my area.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/17/11 11:39 a.m.
Teggsan wrote: PS. I have an '03 7.3 Ex with the DP Tuner (pretty much the same as, though the forums say better than, the Banks). 13.5 MPG pretty much no matter what.

Is the DP Tuner what gives you the terrible mileage? I can verify with our (heavily laden) 7.3 Explosion we got 16.5-17 true miles per gallon on our '11 Challenge adventure.

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
11/17/11 11:41 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Is the DP Tuner what gives you the terrible mileage? I can verify with our (heavily laden) 7.3 Explosion we got 16.5-17 true miles per gallon on our '11 Challenge adventure.

Is yours modded?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/17/11 11:43 a.m.

Nope. Bone stock. Occasionally is fed homemade biodiesel, but it wasn't for the trip and hasn't been for a while.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
11/17/11 1:26 p.m.

did they even make the "I will be killed for mentioning (powerstroke), (6.0L), and (abomination)" in the excursion???

7.3L is where its at, unless you like roulette....

Seen far too many 6.0L's dead with oil issues and such...

yamaha
yamaha Reader
11/17/11 1:36 p.m.
yamaha wrote: did they even make the "I will be killed for mentioning (powerstroke), (6.0L), and (abomination)" in the excursion??? 7.3L is where its at, unless you like roulette.... Seen far too many 6.0L's dead with oil issues and such...

Hmmm, evidentally did........I'd rather have a 400k mile 7.3L than a 20k mile 6.0L......:lol:

ww
ww SuperDork
11/19/11 2:58 a.m.

Yes, it's a 6.0L and yes, they are not the same as the 7.3L. They have more power potential and more fuel economy than the 7.3L but they have different specific weak points that most Ford Diesel Tech's were unfamiliar with during the first half of the engines existence. Once these simple issues are addressed they make it an incredibly reliable, economical and beefy power plant.

Specifically the EGR cooler, head studs, head gaskets, aftermarket EGT, water temp, tranny fluid temp and oil temp gauges.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is a diesel mechanic that has been specializing in the 6.0L since 2001 and did a nearly 4 hour checkup of the truck before I took possession. All injectors are balanced and flowing evenly and the FICM is cranking out 48v.

This truck has already had new head gaskets, ARP studs and an EGR "bypass". The BANKS system added the EGT, Water, Tranny and Oil temp gauges.

I'm driving it from San Francisco to Anaheim in the morning and will be using the paper and pencil method to calculate fuel mileage so I can confirm or refute the veracity of the 20mpg claims by Sunday!

Wish me luck! For those of you who are pessimists and live along the I-5 Corridor between San Francisco and LA, shoot me your address in case I have a breakdown so you can come and save me! ;)

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/19/11 1:02 p.m.

I remember having to put a low pressure oil pump in a low-miles 6.0 a few years ago. That was pretty suspicious.

Cant wait to hear your MPG!

Jay
Jay SuperDork
11/19/11 1:54 p.m.

Needs truck nuts.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/19/11 6:04 p.m.

I love it, don't they have weak transmissions? Guy who worked for me had a F250 and a F350 and both had trans issues that came down to a solenoid that would no open a the right time causing definitive damage to the trans.

I love driving a house though!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/20/11 8:52 p.m.

I've been checking out Excursions lately, nice choice!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/20/11 9:03 p.m.
gamby wrote:
ww wrote: Holy E36 M3 Batman! 21.1mpg in a 9175 pound truck!
That's pretty nuts. That's like twice what the gasoline version will do.

My Expedition with 5.4 get 17 mpg all day long, while not 21 it is also not half.

Congrats on this beast, I want one to replace the Expy

As for the 6.0, local county service truck is a F550 with the 6.0, replaced 5 turbos and 1 engine when at 24K the 2nd blew up, Ford said, you're on your own this time and quoted $14K.

Our county F550 service truck now rocks a Cummins turbo

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
11/20/11 9:05 p.m.
ww wrote: Yes, it's a 6.0L and yes, they are not the same as the 7.3L. They have more power potential and more fuel economy than the 7.3L but they have different specific weak points that most Ford Diesel Tech's were unfamiliar with during the first half of the engines existence. Once these simple issues are addressed they make it an incredibly reliable, economical and beefy power plant. Specifically the EGR cooler, head studs, head gaskets, aftermarket EGT, water temp, tranny fluid temp and oil temp gauges. Fortunately, a friend of mine is a diesel mechanic that has been specializing in the 6.0L since 2001 and did a nearly 4 hour checkup of the truck before I took possession. All injectors are balanced and flowing evenly and the FICM is cranking out 48v. This truck has already had new head gaskets, ARP studs and an EGR "bypass". The BANKS system added the EGT, Water, Tranny and Oil temp gauges. I'm driving it from San Francisco to Anaheim in the morning and will be using the paper and pencil method to calculate fuel mileage so I can confirm or refute the veracity of the 20mpg claims by Sunday! Wish me luck! For those of you who are pessimists and live along the I-5 Corridor between San Francisco and LA, shoot me your address in case I have a breakdown so you can come and save me! ;)

What could possibly tow it if you do break down;)?

Joey

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kxD5pOUR2lnBPEBzfGvtXpE2FSZ0cpEIM5d94wLCHcmeOSbfhlKbqJJAYiplva6A