Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/14/20 8:44 p.m.

Hey guys, 

I got a new work van on Friday and it is awesome 

2020 2500 Chevy Express. Power windows, mirrors, locks, etc. A huge upgrade from my 2011 with crank windows. I'd love to be able to unlock the doors with a key fob. Does anyone know of that is something that can be added? If so can it be done cheap. I ask because it's not my vehicle, but I'd like to have the ability to unlock/lock the doors remotely. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/14/20 9:24 p.m.

It can be pretty easily, should be under $200. Any chance it has it and they just didn't give you the remote?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/14/20 9:32 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

It can be pretty easily, should be under $200. Any chance it has it and they just didn't give you the remote?

I have no idea. Anything is possible. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/14/20 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

If not, just look for a car alarm/stereo place that's close to you, 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/14/20 10:04 p.m.

I don't know about the 2020, but I've heard on most of the rest of them in the past 20 years, the work vans come without it.  You need a module or something from the dealer and a keyfob and it works.  I googled real quick and people were saying its like $70-90 for the OEM stuff.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/14/20 10:26 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I don't know about the 2020, but I've heard on most of the rest of them in the past 20 years, the work vans come without it.  You need a module or something from the dealer and a keyfob and it works.  I googled real quick and people were saying its like $70-90 for the OEM stuff.

I Googled it too and came up with the same semi vague answers but for 17 models or older. I'd be okay spending that amount of money for the convenience, but I can't bring it to a dealer. It would have to be something I can do myself. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/15/20 10:40 a.m.

Anyone know for sure if this is something that can be done? If so, what do I need to get?

ebelements
ebelements Reader
12/15/20 4:22 p.m.

If the vehicle already has power locks, you're in luck. For well under 100$ you can pick up a brand-name keyless entry setup on eBay or Amazon. The unit I had in the wife's car before upgrading to a keyless/remote start unit was a Viper 211HV and it couldn't have been easier. Tap into the wires for lock/unlock, horn, lights, and run an antenna lead—done and done. That kit doesn't look to be offered as new anymore, but it's definitely worth it—although for $20 it seems you can get any number of unbranded keyless entry kits on prime that likely do the same thing. 

Then all you need to do is look online for an alarm or remote start install guide, and that will give you the wiring locations and colors.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/15/20 6:49 p.m.

I'd have a shop do it so if it ever causes an issue, it's not on you. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/15/20 6:58 p.m.

Currently, is it possible from the driver's seat to unlock the passenger door via a button on the driver's door? 

From the driver's seat, can you currently unlock the side door or rear door via a button? 

If your answers are no then you're gonna need a lot of work to make it happen. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/15/20 7:02 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Currently, is it possible from the driver's seat to unlock the passenger door via a button on the driver's door? 

From the driver's seat, can you currently unlock the side door or rear door via a button? 

If your answers are no then you're gonna need a lot of work to make it happen. 

I can lock and unlock all doors from the switches on both front doors and the rear door. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/15/20 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

It would then seem you are most the way there for a factory system but that may require a dealer for programming. 

Aftermarket, it would just seem you need a system that could remotely trigger the passenger door switch via your wireless command. Stereo shops and alarm retailers should be able to sell you the hardware you want.  Remote start might be an option also.

If that remote fob stays just with you, no one else should even be the wiser. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxEsGAxxwhgbXyNqx2En5DepAIgNAG24wuyK6oTPiwTtgojuAUJflpzN019FXUXK